Wedding Woes

We meet again, Monday.

Good morning.  How was everyone's weekend?

We did okay.  I was a lazy slug on Saturday and basically just played video games, watched TV, and ate pizza.  K really just slept most of the day since they worked Friday night.  Sunday we very slowly cleaned up the apartment, in between television and video games.  I started on a new art project that might kill me at some point or make me go blind, but it's beautiful and is a small project to lead into a big project.  Working on costumes generally for some bigger gigs coming up.  I'm started to get excited about seeing Ani Difranco.  It still feels unreal, I've been trying to get tickets to one of her shows for decades at this point, but either money or timing didn't work.

Re: We meet again, Monday.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I was forced to "go with the flow" this weekend because so many games were cancelled or moved.  Lots of sports and bellinis.  Saturday night we did homemade pizza and the kids played video games.  I sat in the basement drinking and watching a movie.

It's supposed to rain all week so blergh.  I'm going to try to get some yard work done this morning before it all starts. We have a huge hill in our backyard owned by a big box store.  Last summer was a battle to get it mowed.  This summer is starting off with the same sort of issue and I'm pissy about it.  They haven't cut it yet and it's almost to my knees.  When they do get it done it's going to be a mess that destroys our yard too:(

• That’s awesome @VarunaTT, glad your finally getting to go!  Nothing wrong with slugging it!

we got snow on Saturday but missed it!  Yay!  We went to Blissfield Michigan for a murder mystery train dinner.  If anyone lives close by and wants to go- I will say its fun but maybe a bit over priced. Especially if you like a drink or 5.  ;)
    because H’s day off isnt guaranteed till midnight on Friday we had to call for tickets on the way there.  We got the last two!  And then i booked a decently priced room nearby with a jetted tub.  We pre gamed, had a hot tub and watched a few eps of crazy ex girlfriend.  It was so nice.  The show was good.  The Liza Minelli character was really good.  I have a new found appreciation for her ever since watching Arrested Development.  All in all, great but pricey weekend.  I’ll take another though. 

• Had a good weekend! Friday H got back from skiing, cooked us dinner and then we caught up on shows. 

Saturday I ran some errands. Went shopping. Got my nails done. Then that night we went out to dinner. 

Sunday I took a class at the gym, and then was a happy, lazy blob after that. 
  • Where is everyone?  Is today a holiday I don’t know about?

• Hi!
    Pam! I am so jealous. I would love to go on a murder mystery dinner train. That sounds amazing!
    6- are you a "go with the flow" type person or not so much? 
    Varuna- what kind of art project?
    Climbing Wife- your weekend sounds perfect. :)

Our weekend was mostly good. Friday, I worked then rode a new horse. She threw me off Twice! The second time was because she spooked when a rider in the arena next to ours crashed through a jump. I was mostly fine, the other rider broke his collar bone and had a mild concussion. It was a dramatic evening. Saturday, DH and I went to Ikea. He bought and installed a new faucet in the kitchen. It is much better than our old one but now we have to figure out a new way to filter our water. Then I went to get the most expensive massage of my life.

My back still really hurts and I am trying not to be a baby about it. The baby slept for 2 hours this morning so we missed his sing and sign class. We will try to make it up tomorrow, assuming he can wake up in time, lol.
  • Busy morning here at work!  Starting to slow down to a simmer though!

It started off bad on Friday night when MIL went to the hospital.  She was having bad jaw, neck and shoulder pain all day.  Then late Friday, it turned to stabbing chest pains.  The ER admitted MIL for observation even though all her heart tests were ok.  They think it was just gas that had built into her system, they put her on Pepcid and she started feeling relief.  She will need a stress test to ensure her heart is ok, but all signs are pointing to being ok.  So that is a relief!  And MIL and BF knew to actually call this time!  First thing BF said to H was "I learned my lesson last time, so we just want you to know that MIL is at the hospital."  She was discharged late morning on Saturday.

Saturday DD got me up early, it was in the 6s.  So I got her dressed and we went down stairs and I slept off and on, from the couch, which DD had her milk, watched her shows, and sometimes cuddled.  H got up around 9, so we had breakfast and took advantage of the early day.  I got all the front flower beds mulched and H was able to fix our underground cable, phone and A/C wire protectors, where they come out from the ground and attach to the house.  We then had lunch and family nap time proceeded!  We also went to church.

Sunday, DD woke H up early in the 6s too.  I got up before 10 and made breakfast.  We then went to visit MIL at her house and did a Target run.  DD now says "We go to Target?"  and its so cute!  While DD napped, H relaxed and napped on his chair.  I got the dishes done.  Later it was chicken wings in the Air Fryer for dinner!  DD got a tubby and also asked to use the potty, she didn't actually go, but hopefully her interest in it, will help when we officially potty train her.

• @VarunaTT, congrats on the Ani Difranco tickets.

@CharmedPam, that murder mystery train sounds so fun!  There is only one murder mystery show where I live (and not on a train).  But, even with a Groupon, it is still spendy and has terrible reviews.  Like, many complaints you can't even hear what is happening and they often forget to give the groups all the clues, they're supposed to have.  Boring, crappy food is included.  But all drinks, even soft drinks, are extra despite the high price.  I think the normal prices are $75/person and the Groupon price is $45/person.  Something like that.

@6fsn, lame!  I remember your talking about that hill last year.  I'd probably give them one nice warning with a timeframe.  Then, if they haven't complied, one sterner warning with a timeframe.  After which, you'll be calling the city.  Overgrown yards are usually some kind of non-compliance code issue.

I also did some lazing around this weekend, including taking Friday off.  Not so much by choice, lol.  Though I didn't mind.  But it's Jazz Fest time.  My parking is only street parking.  So, if I leave with my car during the day, someone will take my spot.  As such, I plan ahead to stay a prisoner all weekend, lol.

---------------------------------------------------

And my annual vent about my neighbors, lol.  It's long.  But the hutzpah is priceless.  There is an extended family who owns the houses on each side of me.  And three of the houses on the perpendicular street.  Every year, they try and commandeer most of the street parking on the three blocks they have homes on.  Including my block.  To "sell" the spots during the festival.  And, in their ridiculous little minds, act like their "entitled" to it because they've been doing it for so many years and supposedly donate the money collected to their church.  They make sure to tell us the church thing every year.  As if that makes it "okay".  Pretty sure God would not approve of them stealing public resources to sell//s.

To be a little fair, if the spot in front of my own house is taken and they have spots still open, they'll "let" me park in one.  But will then knock on my door later that night or in the morning to move my car back to the front of my house.

But I swear, every year it is always something even more outrageous.  So, the top half of my street doesn't have any houses facing it, it is the sides of the two houses on each corner.  This family owns one of those corner houses.  And commandeers the street parking spots on the side of that house.  Which is pretty long!  About enough space for 5 cars.  I was briefly speaking to my elderly next door neighbor who is the matriarch of this clan.  She was complaining about how people from other blocks are so "cheeky" to "save" spots on our street.  She was specifically talking about a neighbor who's been renovating their house and doesn't even live there.  There's a few renovations going on and I thought she was talking about a house from a few blocks away.

Nope!  She was talking about the OTHER corner house.  And how they'd blocked the street parking on the side of their house.  With the inference being that now her family can't take those spots to sell, smh.  GTFO!!!!!  Is she serious right now?!?!  They can't even pretend  in their complete and utter b.s. that they have a "claim" to those street parking spots.  Yet they do anyway.  It's just unreal.  I can't with these people.  Not to mention her daughter, whose house has a large and nice driveway/front yard, will go park her two personal vehicles on other blocks so they can also sell those spots in her driveway/yard.

To keep the peace, I largely held my tongue.  But politely pointed out that, while it's not the right thing to do block street parking.  Especially when it is not even in front of one's own house.  That this neighbor wasn't actually from another block.  That was the side of his house.  With my subtle (perhaps not) implication that her family does the same thing.  I suspect to keep the peace herself, she didn't directly respond to that.  But commented again about how she's happy every year to have this opportunity to give back to her church.  And then we pleasantly bean-dipped for a few minutes about how beautiful the weather was going to be over the weekend and there should be a lot of people.         
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  what about people who just show up and park?  Can you report them to the police or is this one of those shut up it's once a year things? 

• Marathon was yesterday. It was my worst run ever. I’m sore and tired. I drove back from Toledo this morning and now I’m sitting on the couch until an acceptable time to go to bed. 

@CharmedPam, that murder mystery train sounds so fun!  There is only one murder mystery show where I live (and not on a train).  But, even with a Groupon, it is still spendy and has terrible reviews.  Like, many complaints you can't even hear what is happening and they often forget to give the groups all the clues, they're supposed to have.  Boring, crappy food is included.  But all drinks, even soft drinks, are extra despite the high price.  I think the normal prices are $75/person and the Groupon price is $45/person.  Something like that.

@6fsn, lame!  I remember your talking about that hill last year.  I'd probably give them one nice warning with a timeframe.  Then, if they haven't complied, one sterner warning with a timeframe.  After which, you'll be calling the city.  Overgrown yards are usually some kind of non-compliance code issue.

I also did some lazing around this weekend, including taking Friday off.  Not so much by choice, lol.  Though I didn't mind.  But it's Jazz Fest time.  My parking is only street parking.  So, if I leave with my car during the day, someone will take my spot.  As such, I plan ahead to stay a prisoner all weekend, lol.

And my annual vent about my neighbors, lol.  It's long.  But the hutzpah is priceless.  There is an extended family who owns the houses on each side of me.  And three of the houses on the perpendicular street.  Every year, they try and commandeer most of the street parking on the three blocks they have homes on.  Including my block.  To "sell" the spots during the festival.  And, in their ridiculous little minds, act like their "entitled" to it because they've been doing it for so many years and supposedly donate the money collected to their church.  They make sure to tell us the church thing every year.  As if that makes it "okay".  Pretty sure God would not approve of them stealing public resources to sell//s.

To be a little fair, if the spot in front of my own house is taken and they have spots still open, they'll "let" me park in one.  But will then knock on my door later that night or in the morning to move my car back to the front of my house.

But I swear, every year it is always something even more outrageous.  So, the top half of my street doesn't have any houses facing it, it is the sides of the two houses on each corner.  This family owns one of those corner houses.  And commandeers the street parking spots on the side of that house.  Which is pretty long!  About enough space for 5 cars.  I was briefly speaking to my elderly next door neighbor who is the matriarch of this clan.  She was complaining about how people from other blocks are so "cheeky" to "save" spots on our street.  She was specifically talking about a neighbor who's been renovating their house and doesn't even live there.  There's a few renovations going on and I thought she was talking about a house from a few blocks away.

Nope!  She was talking about the OTHER corner house.  And how they'd blocked the street parking on the side of their house.  With the inference being that now her family can't take those spots to sell, smh.  GTFO!!!!!  Is she serious right now?!?!  They can't even pretend  in their complete and utter b.s. that they have a "claim" to those street parking spots.  Yet they do anyway.  It's just unreal.  I can't with these people.  Not to mention her daughter, whose house has a large and nice driveway/front yard, will go park her two personal vehicles on other blocks so they can also sell those spots in her driveway/yard.

To keep the peace, I largely held my tongue.  But politely pointed out that, while it's not the right thing to do block street parking.  Especially when it is not even in front of one's own house.  That this neighbor wasn't actually from another block.  That was the side of his house.  With my subtle (perhaps not) implication that her family does the same thing.  I suspect to keep the peace herself, she didn't directly respond to that.  But commented again about how she's happy every year to have this opportunity to give back to her church.  And then we pleasantly bean-dipped for a few minutes about how beautiful the weather was going to be over the weekend and there should be a lot of people.         
    This would just put me over the edge.  Can you report this family somehow?  This has got to be illegal. 
  • We had some friends over for dinner on Friday, and I was able to make a pretty decent dinner without any extra grocery shopping so I was pretty proud of myself.  Saturday I woke up super early and just hung out watching crappy (aka, awesome) shows on TLC while H slept in, we went to church and out to dinner in the afternoon.  Sunday we were lazy all morning then MIL/FIL dropped off their old snowblower for us since they hired a service for next year. 

Very nice and low-key weekend!  I was planning to do a bunch of yardwork but 4 inches of snow on Saturday put the kibosh on that. 

• I have the same q as @banana468!  Can you call or do people just turn a blind eye during jazz fest?
    @charlotte989875 sorry your run was bad. :(. Maibe next time will be better?  Remember, you’re coming off of an injury!

@short+sassy, that was my complaint! I couldn't hear anything.  At the end the lady sitting with is even suggested microphones since the train already had speakers.  But the food was good!  Best cheesecake outside of cheesecake factory.  I shouldn't oven have finished mine but I did.  And half of h’s.  Oops!  

• Busy morning here at work!  Starting to slow down to a simmer though!

It started off bad on Friday night when MIL went to the hospital.  She was having bad jaw, neck and shoulder pain all day.  Then late Friday, it turned to stabbing chest pains.  The ER admitted MIL for observation even though all her heart tests were ok.  They think it was just gas that had built into her system, they put her on Pepcid and she started feeling relief.  She will need a stress test to ensure her heart is ok, but all signs are pointing to being ok.  So that is a relief!  And MIL and BF knew to actually call this time!  First thing BF said to H was "I learned my lesson last time, so we just want you to know that MIL is at the hospital."  She was discharged late morning on Saturday.

Saturday DD got me up early, it was in the 6s.  So I got her dressed and we went down stairs and I slept off and on, from the couch, which DD had her milk, watched her shows, and sometimes cuddled.  H got up around 9, so we had breakfast and took advantage of the early day.  I got all the front flower beds mulched and H was able to fix our underground cable, phone and A/C wire protectors, where they come out from the ground and attach to the house.  We then had lunch and family nap time proceeded!  We also went to church.

Sunday, DD woke H up early in the 6s too.  I got up before 10 and made breakfast.  We then went to visit MIL at her house and did a Target run.  DD now says "We go to Target?"  and its so cute!  While DD napped, H relaxed and napped on his chair.  I got the dishes done.  Later it was chicken wings in the Air Fryer for dinner!  DD got a tubby and also asked to use the potty, she didn't actually go, but hopefully her interest in it, will help when we officially potty train her.

When does she normally get up? B is always up in the 6s, if he sleeps until 7 it is a miracle. And an even bigger miracle if I make it to the 7s, even if he doesn't wake me up sooner
  • Marathon was yesterday. It was my worst run ever. I’m sore and tired. I drove back from Toledo this morning and now I’m sitting on the couch until an acceptable time to go to bed. 
    Sorry you had a crappy race. Was it one of those where your body or mind just didn't have it that day or was it bad weather? I've had a couple shitty marathons back in the day so I totally get it 
  • And sorry about MIL @OliveOilsMom. Glad she’s ok though!

• banana468 said:
    @short+sassy  what about people who just show up and park?  Can you report them to the police or is this one of those shut up it's once a year things? 
    Oh no, her and her family members hang out all day, every day of the festival.  They have signs up in the various areas they take with the "pricing".  They put up barricades, primarily traffic cones.  They'll shoo people away if they try and move one of their barricades, but aren't willing to pay.

I assume most people are too focused on just going to Jazz Fest, then to want to be bothered to call the police.  I suspect most are happy to pay just to have a parking spot that close.

I've never reported them to the police.  Other than majorly side-eying their actions and sometimes being annoying to me to move my car back to the front of my house, their actions don't really affect me.  I also doubt the police would really do anything.  There is a heavy police presence in the neighborhood during the Festival and officers are walking past my street and these parking activities all the time.  I assume nothing's ever been said to them.

Technically, people aren't allowed to charge for parking even on their own property.  One of those "it's running a parking business without a license", blah, blah.  Though tons of residents and businesses do.  The city sometimes issues reminders about that and gives it lip service in the days leading up to the Festival.  Which is funny because it's usually some verbiage of "...and this year we really mean it and will be issuing citations and fines."  Really, really!  Better take us seriously this year.  And then it's always business as usual, lol.  Where even my neighbors selling parking that isn't on their land, aren't ticketed or stopped or anything. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:

Busy morning here at work!  Starting to slow down to a simmer though!

When does she normally get up? B is always up in the 6s, if he sleeps until 7 it is a miracle. And an even bigger miracle if I make it to the 7s, even if he doesn't wake me up sooner
    LOL cosigned. DD is not allowed to get out of bed until 7 and that pretty much works (thanks OK to Wake clock), but we can tell she's up in the 6s (and sometimes needs something, like the toilet). That's just everyday life for us.

Lol parking woes fascinate me. In my city someone would call the cops on anyone trying to “sell”’street parking immediately. 
  • kvruns said:
    Marathon was yesterday. It was my worst run ever. I’m sore and tired. I drove back from Toledo this morning and now I’m sitting on the couch until an acceptable time to go to bed. 
    Sorry you had a crappy race. Was it one of those where your body or mind just didn't have it that day or was it bad weather? I've had a couple shitty marathons back in the day so I totally get it 
    Thanks! I think it was a combination of the injury last week, starting the two-a-days for the relay, and having taken a few days off when I had the ear & sinus infection all within the last 4 weeks. I thought I was healed up enough but my legs were in so much pain. 

What sucks is that the conditions couldnt have been better. It was around 45 and sunny the entire race. The course is also super flat so it should have been a great race. Not this time. 
  • Re: paying for parking.  This is funny because if you ever went to the Iowa state fair (and its really something you gotta do) locals make SO much money selling their spots during that time.  Some even ruin their lawn and have people use their whole lawn as a parking lot. When I first went, and my friend drove and found someone’s lawn to park - I was amazed!  They let you ruin their lawn for $10 (or whatever it was back then)

• @charlotte989875, I'm also sorry to hear you were unhappy with the run.  I'm sure your injuries from your football game the week before didn't help!

@cupcait927, yay upcoming CA trip!  I've done that whole train ride (though not all at the same time).  I hope I don't jinx you, lol, but it's nice!  Clean, comfortable, on time, not crowded at all.  Some of it is right along the beach.  Think of me as you pass through my hometown of San Clemente (SC), lol.  Depending on the time of day you go, one of the stops is at the SC Pier.  Though none of the stops are long enough to pop out for a moment. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:

Busy morning here at work!  Starting to slow down to a simmer though!

LOL cosigned. DD is not allowed to get out of bed until 7 and that pretty much works (thanks OK to Wake clock), but we can tell she's up in the 6s (and sometimes needs something, like the toilet). That's just everyday life for us.

We were very blessed with a unicorn baby - and I know this!  She started sleeping through the night around 4 months.  And typically on weekends, she would get up in the late 7s - mid 8s.  She even gave us a 10am once and H & I were both astonished!  I don't wake her up until 6:45 during the week, so its very rare when she wakes up before that on weekends.  But she has been getting up early on the weekend since we switched to the toddler bed.  She doesn't realize she can get out of bed yet.  So once she figures that out, she will have access to her books and toys to keep her occupied for a bit.  I'm trying to see how she adjusts further to her toddler bed, but I will be getting the OK to Wake clock at some point.

Charlotte - Don't be so hard on yourself!  You had a very recent injury and still ran!  Don't worry about the time so much, but that you were able to complete your portion of the run!

• I've seen paying for parking in places but never ON the street.   I'd love to be passive aggressive and host a party at my house that weekend.

• @charlotte989875, I'm also sorry to hear you were unhappy with the run.  I'm sure your injuries from your football game the week before didn't help!

@cupcait927, yay upcoming CA trip!  I've done that whole train ride (though not all at the same time).  I hope I don't jinx you, lol, but it's nice!  Clean, comfortable, on time, not crowded at all.  Some of it is right along the beach.  Think of me as you pass through my hometown of San Clemente (SC), lol.  Depending on the time of day you go, one of the stops is at the SC Pier.  Though none of the stops are long enough to pop out for a moment. 
    I'm excited for the train ride! My coworker has a brother that lived in SD until recently and she was the one to recommend the train ride from LA to SD. I've done the drive in the car from LA to SD (never again) so this sounds like a very nice alternative. Plus it will eliminate having to deal with getting a car in LA, since we're only there Friday afternoon - Sunday morning to attend a wedding on Saturday. We'll just Uber around LA and then rent a car in SD.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @missJeanLouise i hope you feel better soon. That had to be scary. I am so NOT a go with the flow person so it was awful. 

@OliveOilsMom I hope your mom feels better soon. 

I'm excited for the train ride! My coworker has a brother that lived in SD until recently and she was the one to recommend the train ride from LA to SD. I've done the drive in the car from LA to SD (never again) so this sounds like a very nice alternative. Plus it will eliminate having to deal with getting a car in LA, since we're only there Friday afternoon - Sunday morning to attend a wedding on Saturday. We'll just Uber around LA and then rent a car in SD.
    Depending on where you're staying and what hot spots you want to hit in SD, you all might want to Uber/city bus/walk around there also instead of renting a car.  Parking around attractions/downtown/beach can be scarce or cost money.  I looked two up out of curiosity.  The SD Zoo has a parking lot and its free.  It's next to Balboa Park which is also awesome and has all kinds of pretty green space and many museums.  But Sea World (if that's even a plan) costs $22/car for their parking lot.

Plus, my sister and I always laugh at how freakishly close the SD airport is to all the main stuff.  Instead of being out in the hinterlands, like most airports are.  So possibly not a bad Uber fare to your all's Airbnb either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Depending on where you're staying and what hot spots you want to hit in SD, you all might want to Uber/city bus/walk around there also instead of renting a car.  Parking around attractions/downtown/beach can be scarce or cost money.  I looked two up out of curiosity.  The SD Zoo has a parking lot and its free.  It's next to Balboa Park which is also awesome and has all kinds of pretty green space and many museums.  But Sea World (if that's even a plan) costs $22/car for their parking lot.

Plus, my sister and I always laugh at how freakishly close the SD airport is to all the main stuff.  Instead of being out in the hinterlands, like most airports are.  So possibly not a bad Uber fare to your all's Airbnb either.
    Good to know! Our Airbnb is within walking distance to Balboa Park and lots of restaurants/cafes/etc so maybe we'll skip renting a car (and save a ton of money!)
  • Re: paying for parking.  This is funny because if you ever went to the Iowa state fair (and its really something you gotta do) locals make SO much money selling their spots during that time.  Some even ruin their lawn and have people use their whole lawn as a parking lot. When I first went, and my friend drove and found someone’s lawn to park - I was amazed!  They let you ruin their lawn for $10 (or whatever it was back then)
    This is how it is for the Indy 500. People in Speedway charge for people to park on their lawn and driveway. They make a killing - the closer they are to the track the higher the price.