Wedding Woes
Options

It's Monday

2»

Re: It's Monday

• Options
    So I knew a few of you are real estate mavens, anyone want to weigh in on this? My dad is looking to sell his house next year, and it needs a new roof. I think he should just accept that the roof will impact the sale price and move on, he thinks he should get it replaced, which I don’t favor because I know he will find the whole process of getting that done extremely stressful, and there’s at least a 50% chance a builder will buy the home and knock it down and not care. It’s a sellers market and it will go for around a million dollars. Opinions?
    I would normally recommend replacing the roof first, because it's a major expense that would either turn homebuyers off or they'd have to come out of pocket later to replace and perhaps would have trouble affording that.  Though, for a $1M home, that's probably less likely to be an issue!

But the more I read your post, I changed my mind.  Considering it's a sellers market where it sounds like many buyers are buying for location, not necessarily the properties themselves, replacing the roof is probably money and hassle that doesn't need to be spent.

With all that said, the best person to answer that question is your dad's real estate agent.

FWIW, I think roof replacement is one of the less stressful major improvements to make to a home.  It's getting quotes and choosing a roofing company.  They plan the job over some sunny days.  And it's start to finish and done in usually 1-3 days, depending on the size of the roof.

The main stressful part to me is the high price tag, lol. But it is also daunting to feel like your property is "exposed", even when it is for a brief period of time.  
    Thank you! Had no idea this was an easy job, he was talking about weeks not days. Yeah it’s nothing crazy of a house, 4 bedroom, decent yard. But the town is extremely popular, great transit to NYC, wonderful schools, so it’s def more of an issue of how much exactly does it sell for than whether it will sell at all. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    Dh dh has a phone interview!!!

@STARMOON44- I’m our neighborhood  I’d say do the roof. A lot of buyers are here 3-7 years and don’t want fixer uppers. The next neighborhood over would be leave if because people stay longer. Plus, If he's anything like my dad, he’d want a professional opinion 
    Yeah I’d agree with this; we bought our house knowing it needed a roof immediately, but it was a complete sellers market, we plan to stay for a while, and we were already planning a ton of other updates. 

Couldn't hurt to meet with a REA and see what they recommend for his area. On the one hand a complete move-in ready is a big selling point, on the other a new roof at that price point isn’t a huge deal. He should be prepared for them to come in a little under, given the roof, but again depending on the market maybe not. 
    The agents are all “yes do everything! Do the roof! Paint every wall! Rip up all the carpets upstairs! Redo the half bath!” but they aren’t the ones who are going to have to live in a construction site or hold his hand through all of this. I wish any one would just say “look, here’s what I would list at at today, here’s what I would list it at with all of this done, up to you which way you want to go.”
    That is literally how I would ask it.  ((Side-eye)) the REAs you all have spoken to aren't being more forthcoming.
    I swear to God it seems that REA's feel like they don't need to take their time with people because the market is so hot right now.  I've noticed that FIL's REA is so focused on getting him to close that she's maybe not taken as much time to explain shit to him and then he's asking us all sorts of questions.  This is the first RE transaction for FIL in almost 40 years and will probably be the last in his life.  A couple extra hours of her time would not have harmed her bottom line. /rant
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:

@STARMOON44- I’m our neighborhood  I’d say do the roof. A lot of buyers are here 3-7 years and don’t want fixer uppers. The next neighborhood over would be leave if because people stay longer. Plus, If he's anything like my dad, he’d want a professional opinion 
    Yeah I’d agree with this; we bought our house knowing it needed a roof immediately, but it was a complete sellers market, we plan to stay for a while, and we were already planning a ton of other updates. 

Couldn't hurt to meet with a REA and see what they recommend for his area. On the one hand a complete move-in ready is a big selling point, on the other a new roof at that price point isn’t a huge deal. He should be prepared for them to come in a little under, given the roof, but again depending on the market maybe not. 
    The agents are all “yes do everything! Do the roof! Paint every wall! Rip up all the carpets upstairs! Redo the half bath!” but they aren’t the ones who are going to have to live in a construction site or hold his hand through all of this. I wish any one would just say “look, here’s what I would list at at today, here’s what I would list it at with all of this done, up to you which way you want to go.”
    That is literally how I would ask it.  ((Side-eye)) the REAs you all have spoken to aren't being more forthcoming.
    I swear to God it seems that REA's feel like they don't need to take their time with people because the market is so hot right now.  I've noticed that FIL's REA is so focused on getting him to close that she's maybe not taken as much time to explain shit to him and then he's asking us all sorts of questions.  This is the first RE transaction for FIL in almost 40 years and will probably be the last in his life.  A couple extra hours of her time would not have harmed her bottom line. /rant
    It is so baffling to me. The man is looking to sell a million+ property and buy a 700k one. That is real money to be made by someone!
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:

It is so baffling to me. The man is looking to sell a million+ property and buy a 700k one. That is real money to be made by someone!

It is crazy to me too.  Foreign buyers ask my parents if they're selling a few times a month.  Not even REAs, just people with loads of money.  Description sounds similar to what you described, and they've been offered low seven figures in cash.  They're not selling for another 5 or so years but they're not fixing a thing...the trend in their neighborhood is the house gets torn down and 1-2 homes get built on the property.  Are there lots of new Mcmansions or any type of new construction in his neighborhood?  And totally agree that ideally a REA could tell your what it will sell for today vs. after renos.

@short+sassy sorry for all the frustrating nonsense and having to stay late Friday
    @levioosa feel better soon!
  • Options
    What an adorable family, @MissKittyDanger! Gorgeous pics!
  • Options
    So glad you’re OK, @charlotte989875! At my old apartment in the suburbs, I had a couple close calls with deer. It’s scary when they run out in the road.

DW got through surgery without a hitch. I haven’t been able to see her yet, but the doctor said everything went smoothly.

Weekend went pretty well, except that yesterday I failed the hemoglobin test again and couldn’t donate platelets. I’ve been taking iron supplements for about two months, so I don’t know what else to do. The phlebotomist at the Red Cross told me that molasses is high in iron, so I might just have to take a spoonful of that every day. She also recommended increasing my vitamin C intake. I haven’t been great about eating fresh fruit and vegetables, so I’ll have to step that up as well.

Edited to add: Cleveland Clinic has horrible coffee in the family lounge. I think we’ll make a Starbucks run on the way home.
    I've never donated platelets, but I have donated blood many times. I've had the phlebotomists tell me that caffeine will temporarily lower iron levels.  As such, I try not to drink coffee on days when I'm donating blood.  But sometimes I forget and you can count on it like clockwork...no coffee=iron levels good and I can donate, coffee=iron levels too low and I can't.

In fact, it just happened a couple weeks ago.  I remembered 3/4ths through one cup of coffee and stopped drinking it.  My iron was one point too low to donate.  Doh!
    Huh. I know tea can affect iron levels because of the tannins, but I didn’t know caffeine in general could have that effect. Good to know!
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I’m glad you’re okay! @charlotte989875

Taking iron with vitamin C or orange juice will help with iron absorption @OurWildKingdom. Taking it with milk or calcium will decrease absorption. But if you try for a month or two and your iron levels still aren’t where they should be make an appointment with your PCP to explore other causes of anemia. 

I’m glad your couch situation is working out! @short+sassy bummer about the duplexes. Why can’t people just get their acts together?

This weekend was long. Friday night we went out with FI’s coworkers and they are nuts. But we did discover new places downtown which was cool. Saturday we woke up deceased and I had to rally to go pick up a friend who was visiting for the night. Yesterday it was 102 and it’s supposed to be over 100 the next two days. I’m not remotely ready. Today I’m recovering and figuring out what I want my schedule to look like. 

Good to know about the calcium! I’ve been taking calcium supplements in addition to the iron. I guess I should take one in the morning and one at night. Thanks!

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    @OurWildKingdom @6fsn thank you ladies :) trying to get her to stay still was not easy lmao she did take off crawling at one point, but we were in a huge grassy area. We had bubbles and she snacked on the lilacs {in her defense, they were eye level and babies/toddlers inspect via mouth lmao}
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What nice photos @MissKittyDanger !  Really captured the amazement in her eyes..."wow, look at these colorful flowers!" <3
  • Options
    Shut the front door!  Love the pics @misskittydanger.  Was she supposed to “smell” the flowers? Naw, let’s eat ‘em instead!  Great family shot too!  You look great!

• Options
    @CharmedPam lmao we just sat her by them! she discovered them all on her own XD 

@eileenrob There was also a lot of people. She's very nosy {or 'observant' as people say it nicely .... no dude, my kid is nosy lmao}
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger, what gorgeous pictures! Absolutely love them.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @mrsconn23 the Hot Rod power tour will be at Lucas Oil raceway Wednesday out your way. Defconn would probably love seeing all the cars that afternoon. Also probably see a bunch leaving the area the next morning