Wedding Woes
Options

Silly Fun Question

How good are you at keeping surprises from your SO/partner/spouse?

I ask, b/c I'm terrible and I don't even try anymore.  I had started thinking about Christmas and remembered Todrick Hall was on tour, so starting looking.  Grabbed the tickets...the show is in November, so it works for a Christmas present, right?  

K already knows.  I can't keep anything quiet for more than 5 minutes.  As a matter of fact, I was bugging them on text, telling them I had something awesome to tell them, so they needed to respond.  Then I sent gifs to make them guess.

I think I've made it a couple of hours before, when I got us tickets to one of those partner painting classes.  That's about it.

Re: Silly Fun Question

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    How good are you at keeping surprises from your SO/partner/spouse?

I ask, b/c I'm terrible and I don't even try anymore.  I had started thinking about Christmas and remembered Todrick Hall was on tour, so starting looking.  Grabbed the tickets...the show is in November, so it works for a Christmas present, right?  

K already knows.  I can't keep anything quiet for more than 5 minutes.  As a matter of fact, I was bugging them on text, telling them I had something awesome to tell them, so they needed to respond.  Then I sent gifs to make them guess.

I think I've made it a couple of hours before, when I got us tickets to one of those partner painting classes.  That's about it.
    Gifts I'm pretty good with.   I've managed to surprise DH a few times.

But other stuff I can't hold in.   When SIL told me that she was expecting a month after I announced I told him, "You didn't hear that conversation".  
  • Options
    Awful. I am awful at all secrets/surprises, etc.
    I WILL be that parent who caves just before any gift holiday because I'm so friggen excited.

It's bad lmfao my mum offered to leave BabyKitten's gifts {and any gift I wanna give M} at her house because of this.

I'm just excited for people to see something I got them!
  • Options
    Also, DH sucks because he is Fort Knox.  He can surprise and hold in secrets and is GOOD at it.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Also, DH sucks because he is Fort Knox.  He can surprise and hold in secrets and is GOOD at it.
    I have a love/hate relationship with these people.
    For the same reason I love and hate them lmao
  • Options
    I like to think I’m pretty good.  I don’t do a whole lot of them though.....
    the best secret was when his family came into town and he had to pick them up!!! And i went along with “picking up my friends boyfriend” the whole time.  

• Options
    I can keep a secret for a fun surprise for my H.  But it's hard because, of course, we tell each other all the major, medium, and lots of the minor things that happen to us and that we do.  Sometimes I can't help myself and will give hints, but not obvious ones. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It's hard with my H, but otherwise I can keep secrets.  I'm usually better at keeping secrets about gifts for H.  But I usually end up having to say something generally. 

For example, I got H deluxe seats for an upcoming Phillies game.  BUT I had to buy 3 tickets instead of 2 because it was an aisle seat and I couldn't just purchase the two on the aisle and leave an odd seat -grr Phillies website.  I debated buying tickets elsewhere, but splurged on the third seat to get the aisle.  So I told H not to look at the cc when he got a spend alert.  He also knows that I splurged, so what was just supposed to be a birthday gift is also partly a father's day gift too.  But he doesn't know anything more than that.

I also had a surprise party for his 30th birthday and I kept accidentally saying things to give it away.  I was at least able to keep certain aspects of it secret, like the ribs, cake, special beer and his friends' invites.  I tried pulling it off as a family 4th of July BBQ, so he always knew some aspects of the party.

• Options
    Gifts are pretty easy. I have a separate checking account and use that for my bills, groceries, and anything I need to buy. I hide things where I know she won’t look.

I’ve never really tried to surprise DW with anything else. We tell each other almost everything.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited June 2019
    Tangible gifts are easish. I had to tell him not to buy the garden hose he wants until after Sunday. Outings or experience gifts are harder due to schedules. 
  • Options
    It depends.  I planned a surprise event for DH last year, but it required some participation from him beforehand, so the week before I had to tell him.  But he had no idea before that ... at least not the real surprise part.

• Options
    Depends on what it is. For big stuff I'm good.  I planned a trip to San Fran for his birthday one year, booked tickets/hotel in Oct and kept it secret till the end of March.  But if there's family gossip, he hears it as soon as I put the phone down.  When someone says 'don't tell anyone', he's excluded from that cos I tell him everything  

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Yes this is my H too! And I’m terrible at secrets and surprises. It’s really unfair.  
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    Tangible gifts are easish. I had to tell him not to buy the garden hose he wants until after Sunday. Outings or experience gifts are harder due to schedules. 
    I find it oddly endearing he has his eye on a specific garden hose lol
  • Options
    I'm the worst at keeping things like this a secret from my H. Last year, I bought him a season ski pass in October and I was going to give it to him for Christmas. I ended up telling him in November. 
  • Options
    I’m pretty good at surprises but I want to spoil them early. I think my favorite surprise was booking us a staycation at a nice hotel nearby. I told FI to keep the weekend open and then I packed him a bag and laid out a nice outfit on the bed for the nice dinner. I went to the hotel early with the stuff and I sent him an Uber to pick him up. He had no idea what we were doing. Our biggest problem is that he needs time to “process” new situations and information, so spur of the moment trips and shows and stuff can stress him out. I’m great with gifts. Except when he signed into my amazon account on his phone to use prime and started to get shipping notifications. Lol. 

I, on the other hand, hate surprises. I’m too impatient. I want to know now. Don’t try and hide it from me. 

• Options
    My DH cannot keep a secret.  He gets this particular look on his face and is flabbergasted when I spot it every single time.  

• Options
    I'm actually really good at keeping secrets for surprises. To the point that it's a little concerning. I once booked us a weekend trip, arranged everything, packed him up and got him on the road before letting him in on it. It doesn't hurt that my DH is a go with the flow kind of guy, so he'll just do whatever I want, even when it doesn't seem to make much sense. 

He, on the other hand, is terrible at it. If he does try to plan something, he gets too excited and tells me right away. 
  • Options
    I can keep a secret, DH can not. He doesn't even want me to wait to open Christmas presents. They arrive and he gives them to me. 
  • Options
    I can keep a secret, DH can not. He doesn't even want me to wait to open Christmas presents. They arrive and he gives them to me. 
    I did manage to keep Christmas last year a secret.  But I also think I bought all of them maybe 2-3 weeks out and left them at my parents so I wasn't tempted.  I think they came home to the tree about a week out and I made K open one early.  Literally, K didn't want to open it and I was like C'MON OPEN THE PRESENT!!