Wedding Woes
Options

Are you getting help, LW?

Dear Prudence,

I have very noticeable and semi-recent self-harm scars on my upper arms and thighs, and with the weather in my city warming up, I know tank tops and shorts will expose them to people around me. My friends are unaware of my cutting, and I’m really anxious that one of them will ask why my bicep has a bunch of healed-over red marks on it. I don’t want to scare anyone who asks, or possibly trigger someone else who’s had traumatic experiences with self-harm, be it their own or someone else’s. Is there a gentle way I can tell the truth without igniting worry? Is it better to lie and not risk hurting the people in my life with this information? If no one asks at all, do I have any obligation to explain why my arm has so many scars, where last summer it didn’t?

—Sun Exposure

Re: Are you getting help, LW?

• Options
    You have no obligation to tell anyone anything (about your body or anything else). But if you’re concerned I’d recommend reaching out to a therapist or counselor who can help you work through these behaviors and handling conversations if/when they come up. 
  • Options
    You don't have to explain anything.
    I would speak to a counselor to ensure this doesn't happen again but also how to word what you would feel comfortable with saying. They may have other wording that explains without saying anything directly.
  • Options
    No one else's business, but I'd have an answer ready to go in case someone asks so LW doesn't get caught off guard.