Wedding Woes

What did you forget?

So we are now three weeks from our wedding--no idea how that time flew by! Every day we get more excited to be legally tying ourselves together and starting our married life.
But first--the wedding! We used the last year to make most of our own decorations and are nearly finished. We will be serving awesome food and drinks, have chairs for the butts, are picking up both our outfits from alterations today, and have our RSVPs due next week. 
I can't help but feel I've forgotten some major things! I know that feeling is mostly stress (along with the nightmares--ugh) but even so, being prepared helps me manage my anxiety. 
That being said, did you forget anything for your wedding? Major things, minor things--how did it affect your guests and your day?

Re: What did you forget?

• I forgot to give my photographer a list of photos I really wanted with people not in the BP and consequently I only have one pic with my brother and one of DH's grandparents.   So that's definitely a wedding regret and strongly recommend that list! 

It didn't affect the day - but when I rolled through the pictures I slapped my hand to my head and felt major guilt. 
  • I also didn't give my photog a list. I wish I had done that too. 

What I'm glad I did - I brought backup paperwork of everything with me. Our DJ claimed I had never sent them our song list. Thankfully I had a hard copy in our hotel room. 
  • I got married OOS from where my H and I live.  So my extra panic was worrying I was going to forget something important that was back home, 1500 miles away, lol.  I had wedding nightmares, usually related to forgetting something, in the weeks leading up to our flight.

I found it helped me to hand write lists down.  If I randomly thought of something, I'd write it down or put it in the "notes" area of my phone and then add it to the lists later.  This might be a "me" thing, but I find that when I write things down by hand, it sticks in my brain better and makes me feel more secure.

FWIW, the only thing I forgot was Q-tips, lol.  And not even to the wedding.  Just to pack in my toiletries.  And a quick trip to CVS once I was at my destination, solved that problem, lol.

If it gives you a little comfort, most of your guests don't know all the details planned and wouldn't be concerned about most of them even if they did.  They are there to celebrate this happy milestone in your and your FI's life.  Generally speaking, as long as they are comfortable and fed, it will be a good time for them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2019
    Lol I actually WROTE out a list of pictures I wanted them to take (because I heard so many suggest this) but then forgot to print and send/give it to them!  My advise is to make a list and make sure they get it lol

also should have created a “take a seat, not a side”  sign because my side outweighed H’s, and people were confused about balancing it all.  Just looked a bit bare in pics, is all.  Didn’t ruin the day, obviously. 

• Ditto to the photographer Must Take pic list.
  • Ditto on the photo list, even if they tell you they don't' need one - I don't have one picture with just my mom.  Also should have communicated that we preferred more serious poses - not cheesy "funny" ones.  She tried to get us to do a bunch of those with the bridal and it was waste of time because we don't really have that personality and they look weird.  

All the girls got ready at church - which was fine, but we didn't think about what to do with all our stuff after because it was a holiday so the church was closed (locked) after our ceremony.  We know the priest well so were able to get back in later, but just something that was more of a hassle than it needed to be. 

• I forgot underwear. Weird I know but my sister and I ran out a few days before (I was also OOS) to buy some and hoped they worked under my dress. 

Clothes for the next day if you’re staying over somewhere that isn’t your house. 
  • I didn't forget, more I originally not to have many posed photos and more candid but I kinda wish I had planned a few more posed photos.
  • I forgot our marriage license at the church. We took it to the rehearsal and it got signed after the ceremony, but I totally forgot to pick it up on the way to the reception. If I'd thought about it, I would have asked my uber responsible dad to grab it for me. No worries, though. The church staff held it for me until we got back from our HM. It did delay getting the actual official certificate, but really NBD. It might have mattered more if one of us were changing our names and in a hurry. So, yeah, don't forget that. 

From other weddings I've been involved in, don't forget to eat. So many couples forget about getting snacks/water before the ceremony. But really, as long as you have food/drink, music and chairs, your guests will have a good time. Decorations and extras are fun, but people will enjoy celebrating even if you forget something. 
  • Ditto the photog list! Also ask your parents if there are pictures they would like taken (if they are attending). At DS1's wedding we weren't asked and didn't get a picture of just our family plus new DIL together or a picture with just us and the bridal couple! It was a very small wedding so they didn't think it was necessary to ask if there were any specific pictures we wanted.
  • edited July 2019
    I had the same feeling about forgetting something. The only thing I really forgot was testing craft projects before the wedding (story is below).

https://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1080059/important-diy-tip#latest

I’m grateful we did things on a small scale (we got married in our backyard with rented chairs and borrowed tables and canopy and then went to a restaurant after). Had we done the big wedding we had originally planned, I know I would have forgotten something (or thought I forgot something) and had a meltdown.

Something I’m glad I did was have a Google Drive folder specifically for anything wedding-related and keep docs with to-do lists and a spreadsheet for the guest list.
  • Ditto the photog list! Also ask your parents if there are pictures they would like taken (if they are attending). At DS1's wedding we weren't asked and didn't get a picture of just our family plus new DIL together or a picture with just us and the bridal couple! It was a very small wedding so they didn't think it was necessary to ask if there were any specific pictures we wanted.
    I just started making up such a list that includes all the photo pairings that we want, my mom likes what I have so far but I should definitely check in with my future MIL about any preferences she has. 

I’m glad so many people are mentioning the photo list—I had sort of been neglecting it. We want mostly candid shots, but we really do want some formal posed ones too. I trust our photographer to find a good balance—but she obviously does not know our entire families and who we shouldn’t miss grabbing for a photo.
  • I forgot our marriage license at the church. We took it to the rehearsal and it got signed after the ceremony, but I totally forgot to pick it up on the way to the reception. If I'd thought about it, I would have asked my uber responsible dad to grab it for me. No worries, though. The church staff held it for me until we got back from our HM. It did delay getting the actual official certificate, but really NBD. It might have mattered more if one of us were changing our names and in a hurry. So, yeah, don't forget that. 

From other weddings I've been involved in, don't forget to eat. So many couples forget about getting snacks/water before the ceremony. But really, as long as you have food/drink, music and chairs, your guests will have a good time. Decorations and extras are fun, but people will enjoy celebrating even if you forget something. 

Ughh I am apparently stuck in this box. I have been a lurker for over a year but now it finally happens to me...

Anyway, good reminder on eating! A couple years ago I had a weight loss surgery and so I don’t necessarily feel hunger all that much—especially when I’m busy. My fiancé and MOH are going to need to remind me to eat a little bit here and there and drink plenty of water as I tend toward hypotension now and I do NOT want to pass out!!

Plus, our food is going to be really good...
  • My bff forgot underwear. Also her veil. Luckily even though we were “out of town” it was close enough for someone to drive back to her place and grab it. 

• I forgot to give my sister my very in-depth excel sheet when she packed the cars for my (hour) oot wedding because I was drunk. My dad was kind enough to drive back twice; once for my shoes and once for my veil. He truly was the MVP of the weekend.
    I just started making up such a list that includes all the photo pairings that we want, my mom likes what I have so far but I should definitely check in with my future MIL about any preferences she has. 

I’m glad so many people are mentioning the photo list—I had sort of been neglecting it. We want mostly candid shots, but we really do want some formal posed ones too. I trust our photographer to find a good balance—but she obviously does not know our entire families and who we shouldn’t miss grabbing for a photo.
    One of the things I read on here is to give the photog a list with the names of the people you want in the pictures - not their role i.e. MOG or MOB but Sally Jones or Cindy Smith so that the photog actually calls their names. Since you want mostly candids (make sure photog knows this) it still might be good to introduce her to key people you want in the candids. H and I are not in very many of DD's candids, quite frankly her candids and large group pictures weren't very good. Just make sure you outline EXACTLY what you want to the photog.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding!  Post on the wedding recap board afterwards :)
    I made a little day-of bag for my own wedding and it was so helpful that I made one for both of my sister's wedding days too.  Tide pen, advil and tylenol, mascara, cover up, lip gloss, breath mints, clear nail polish, flip flops, mini sewing kit, protein bars, bandaids, hair spray, spare phone charger (we all have the same phone), water bottle, pads/tampons, tissues.  It sounds like a lot but all fit into a smaller backpack.  Just nice to have it all in one place.
    I had tips in labeled envelopes for the smaller, not-fully-vendor-like people who still assisted on my wedding day.  The florist delivery guy who dropped the bouquets at my parents' house (where I got ready) and the bouts with my H at our apt...the altar servers at the church, etc.  Obviously vendors were tipped separately but there was no fumbling around in my wallet for a 10 or 20.

A couple weeks out is also a good time to place a catering order if you're getting ready with a group.  Depending on the time of day, coffee and bagels, or a big salad and a pinwheel/sandwich platter (and champagne regardless of the time of day) are great to have.  That way everyone has the chance to eat.  If you're getting ready solo you obviously don't have to place a big catering order, but don't forget to eat!