Wedding Woes

You did *one* weekend of extra work. Slow your roll.

Dear Prudence,

I work in account support in the research and development department of a company that gets government contracts. I write budgets, check that funding rules are satisfied, and submit funding reports for several scientists. The work requires being responsible, paying attention to details, and knowing some basic office software, but it’s really easy for me, and between deadlines, there is a lot of boring downtime. It doesn’t pay well, so I was glad to get the job right out of college, but I wasn’t planning to stay long. Well, something happened last month: Several other support ladies went to a wedding, leaving the department understaffed, and there was an unexpected funding opportunity. Suddenly I was the only one supporting several times as many people as usual. I worked over the weekend, and everything got done at a better level and with a greater efficiency than usual, and I loved it.

Now all the scientists are saying they wish they were assigned to me, not to the other assistants who are sloppy and unwilling to work outside of restrictive office hours. I want to go to the management with a proposal that they replace three or four people with me and give me double the salary. I would get an excellent long-term job, the scientists would be much happier, and the company would save money (both on salary and on training, since there is huge turnover due to low pay). But I feel terrible basically suggesting that the other ladies should be fired, even though they are clearly underperforming (I have seen them shop online on company time, make major budget mistakes, and fail to follow up on important emails, and the scientists and the managers know all of this). Should I put forward my idea?

—Work Ethics Dilemma

Re: You did *one* weekend of extra work. Slow your roll.

• I think its an interesting idea, and absolutely do not bring it up now. The way to do this is consistently doing a great job, asking for more work, and having a conversation about a promotion in 6 months. 
  • LW could suggest to others if there's a way to request them. If management sees that LW is being requested on projects more often, then they will make notes.

LW needs to continue doing more to show upper management they are suitable for a promotion instead of just 1 weekend of proof.
  • levioosa said:
    LW sounds like a real party. Maybe consistently go above and beyond before you start spouting off about how much better you are for a job? 
    LOL at real party. Love it.

who doesn’t think they out perform at their own job?  I work with a lot of people with heads SO BIG I often wonder how they even get through the door!

anyway - wait and yeah show your superiors how well you do over time.  

• LOL. She worked one weekend and thinks the can handle it full time every day. 
    Right! Or that if you’re doing that pace of work all day everyday you’ll still be this excited. Sure. 

We see this with interns a lot; they think they know everything because they took one data science class, they think they way we do things is wrong and that they should be running the team. Cool, but no. 
  • kerbohl said:
    Double the salary?  I'm thinking if LW did raise this to management (which they shouldn't) the company would just think about how much money they could save if they got one person to do the work of several and wouldn't even think about doubling LW's salary.  They honestly thought the money saved would go to their paycheck rather than back to the company?
    Exactly!  LW, seriously, don't give them any ideas.  You are delusional to think this is how this works.

They'd be more likely to say, "Wow, LW is right.  Let's layoff a couple people and distribute the rest of the work to everyone else."  No raises for anyone AND a more stressful environment.  It's a lose-lose situation, LW.  Plus a great way to foster animosity between yourself and other coworkers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto the eyeroll.  Big time.  When i read the letter i thought LW needs to get over themselves, desperately.  But reading through the PPs I agree that LW sounds inexperienced and just doesn't get the work environment.  If the scientists really wish they were assigned to LW, they'd ask mgmt themselves.  But I'll bet those scientists wouldn't be okay with LW going into the boss's office and sharing what they'd said. 
    And it's gross that they'd rather a handful of people lose their jobs instead of just going out there and finding a more challenging/better paying position.  I don't think they're as ambitious and they think they are.
  • If the job doesn't suit you, you don't suggest restructuring the department around you, you look for a new job that does suit you.

Even if you got what you wanted, there will come a time when that new arrangement doesn't suit you. Like when you want a life.
  • I suspect LW was "that one coworker that annoys me that I don't want to invite to my wedding - Do I HAVE to invite them?" type post here...

She needs a "You do know you're advocating for three to four people to lose their livelihood and insurance while you play superwoman in your life?"  I don't think LW will be sticking around much after going over that proposal as they're going to make themselves the real office outsider and non "team player"...