Wedding Woes
Options

Nope...sorry, not sorry.

Dear Prudence,

I am fairly allergic to peanuts. I’m not necessarily going to die if I eat one, but I will have an unpleasant visit to an urgent care center. I am cautious about my allergy and always mention my restrictions when eating out or dining at someone’s home. I have a friend, “Tina,” whom I love dearly, but she is a space cadet when it comes to details. As a result, she’s hosted two dinners in the last year that exposed me to peanuts, resulting in embarrassing (and panicked) exits for me. She was sincerely and profusely apologetic both times, and I forgave her oversights.

The thing is that she’s hosting another friends dinner next month and is begging me to come. She very badly wants to make up for the other two dinners and promises this time that she’s going above and beyond to take the necessary precautions. I want to trust her, but I don’t know if I do. I almost feel triggered at the thought of another dinner at her place. My sympathetic side feels guilty for being so afraid of a simple dinner with friends, but the anxious side of me is screaming to avoid this occasion like the plague. What do I do? Do I put my trust in her a third time? Or do I run and hide from this occasion? And if I do run and hide, how do I break it to her without hurting her feelings?

—Trusting the Friend Who Poisoned Me Twice

Re: Nope...sorry, not sorry.

• Options
    I wouldn't. Food allergies can move quick and today's reaction could be minor, but the next time could be anaphylactic shock.

Once is forgivable but 2x? Yeh I wouldn't risk it personally.
  • Options
    Don't put your health in danger over guilt. I could see forgetting once, but forgetting the second time after LW left to go to urgent care is beyond "space cadet". 

If LW really wants to go to spend time with the other attending friends, she could go and bring her own food. 
  • Options

If LW really wants to go to spend time with the other attending friends, she could go and bring her own food. 
    I thought about that, but the only thing is that this friend seems to be insistent on a third chance to cook for LW.  So LW showing up with her own food feels like it would not be well-received or the friend could still insist on LW eating the food they prepared...and make it even more awkward for LW.  
  • Options
    “Sorry, no can do. I appreciate the thought, but I just can’t risk it again.”
  • Options
    The only way I could see this working is if it was a friendly gesture and the LW took one for the team to say something like she understands that proper clearance of peanut items in a home where peanuts are used isn't something that everyone does and maybe she can come over and because of the last two situations, what if she came over and helped?  

That's really more work on the LW's part and clearly says that she doesn't trust the friend but IMO it would be the only way I'd consider going there for something other than a glass of wine. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I thought about that, but the only thing is that this friend seems to be insistent on a third chance to cook for LW.  So LW showing up with her own food feels like it would not be well-received or the friend could still insist on LW eating the food they prepared...and make it even more awkward for LW.  
    I agree it could be awkward, especially depending on the type of parties the group is hosting. I think you could word it like "I really appreciate the offer, but I know how difficult it can be to meticulously check ingredients in everything (even though it's really not). I want to come over for the party, but I'll just take the stress off you and bring myself a salad." Depending on the person, you might be able to get away with it not being a big deal. 
  • Options
    LW could be me. The allergy and its severity. It would depend a lot on the nature of the exposure. My BIL gets made fun of by the rest of my in-laws for the amount of times he's offered me peanuts, or gotten a box of donuts with peanuts as a topping for some - but he's never been the one to cook them into something undetectable, which is how my last Epi-Pen use came to be. If the friend is prone to setting out bowls of peanuts for appetizer snacking, that's one level of risk; if she's making Thai dishes with peanut sauces, that's another. I'm not on the level of worrying about "made in a facility that processes peanuts." I'm also only going to be itchy if someone who's eaten peanuts shakes my hand.

If the snacking peanuts, I'd probably try one more time, and ask her as I arrive about how sure she is there aren't any peanuts in the food. If it's been incorporated as an ingredient at all before, I'd say that I'm sorry, but I can't risk it, and I hope they have a lovely dinner.
  • Options
    I would decline if I were LW. This has happened 2 times. If Tina didn't get the message the first time LW had to leave, she can't be trusted, no matter how bad she feels. She's clearly a flake when it comes to this issue.
  • Options
    Health trumps politeness, sorry not sorry. I have a list of food allergies of friends and family that I pay close attention to when I’m hosting. I want the event to be a fun and (as much as possible) stress free event. I even keep our food peanut/nut free for FI’s friend who swears he is deathly allergic to peanuts....except for peanut M&M’s, which are somehow exempt and “different.” Dude if you don’t like peanut butter, that’s fine, but you are making me roll my eyes so hard and you’re detracting from the seriousness of real food allergies. 

• Options
    I would go, but bring my own dinner.  I would also tell the hostess ahead of time.  "Tina, I will come to the dinner party, but I will be bringing my own dinner.  I know you said it was an accident, but it has happened two times and that is two trips to urgent care after having dinner at your house.  If you want me to come, this is the only way I will.  I cannot trust your cooking anymore.  This is my compromise, are you ok with it?"  If no, then LW doesn't go.  If yes, then LW brings herself dinner to eat with everyone else.
  • Options
    See, I'm not getting that LW had to go to urgent care both times. That's a possibility from the way it's written, but it seems like maybe she had to nope out immediately upon seeing what was for dinner, or being near other people eating it, and that's awkward.

If either visit actually did require urgent care, then absolutely don't go back.
  • Options
    I would decline the invitation.  There's no reason you have to give beyond "no" because you're an adult.  However, if LW feels like she has to, I'd just lie and say you're not available b/c you have a scheduling conflict that can't be changed.  After declining this way a few times, she'll stop inviting LW.
  • Options
    You don’t need a reason to decline, so if you don’t want to go, politely decline. 

Honestly, something about this just seems odd to me. Allergy sever enough where you’re seeing a doctor? Of course you don’t put yourself in that situation again. Why would you risk it. I don’t really get the hand-wringing here. Either you think your friend is indifferent to poisoning you & skip it. Or your trust that she has learned from her two big mistakes and will considered your health. 

I think she just wants Prudies permission to make a big deal out of it to Tina.

• Options
    I would go, but bring my own dinner.  I would also tell the hostess ahead of time.  "Tina, I will come to the dinner party, but I will be bringing my own dinner.  I know you said it was an accident, but it has happened two times and that is two trips to urgent care after having dinner at your house.  If you want me to come, this is the only way I will.  I cannot trust your cooking anymore.  This is my compromise, are you ok with it?"  If no, then LW doesn't go.  If yes, then LW brings herself dinner to eat with everyone else.
    THIS!!!!  I have food allergies and sensitivities as do other members of my family (we joke that going to my in-laws is how would you like your plate of ice cubes for dinner because they ALWAYS cook for themselves, and it's never anything I can eat even though I get the LW's "it was an oversight - my bad! - won't happen until the next event you're invited over for!").  I've got an event coming up that I'm thinking of telling a few (IL) "I want you to eat, drink, and be merry, please bring what you're going to eat from your favorite restaurant and I'll reimburse you no questions asked!"..  (Here's the list... Gluten free, nut free, dairy free, soy free, ginger free, banana free, pepper free, no fish, and a two organic only vegans)..  It's taking responsibility for your own sensitivities and cross-contamination ingestion SUCKS! (btdt)...