Wedding Woes

Tuesday

I haaaaaaaate Tuesdays, so much.  It's the worst day of the week.

I'm proud of myself.  I cooked dinner last night, prepped, lunch, and I did the dishes afterwards.  It's the dishes part I'm proud of.  For some reason, I get veklempt about doing dishes.  I talked myself through it though and so my kitchen is clean for cooking again on Wednesday.

Oh, so I did see Joker.  I think a lot of the criticism is deserved; I also thought it was a good movie.  Phoenix is excellent, but also his cigarettes deserve a supporting actor nomination.  To be perfectly honest, the movie and it's strengths/weaknesses is more fun to talk about than it is to watch.  I thought the Washington Post did a fairly decent review.  If people can't understand, "This person is an unreliable narrator and is not a hero," well, I'm not sure what that says about their humanity.  For those that it matters, there is an intense scene of graphic violence that I did look away from and was upset about a "comedic" moment immediately after it that most of the audience laughed.   The cinematography is really beautiful and I loved the soundtrack.  Soundtracks this season seem to be really great.  I'm going to be pissed if Phoenix gets the Oscar over Pitt though.  Ad Astra spoke to my soul; I'm probably going to see it again this weekend.  I have no interest in seeing Joker again.

Is it 5 o'clock yet?

Re: Tuesday

• I have 5 hours to learn a topic I know little about so I can try to educate the client on it. Except I wasnt given much leading info into exactly what they want to do and why so this will be extra fun. 

Also have a super important filing due in a week and still don't have all the info I need. The client and then their auditors need to review it before hand so really it need to be turned around by end of day today. The auditors didn't get me what I need until Monday and then I'm waiting on insurance companies for this other stuff despite requesting it long ago. I hate being last minute with stuff when it isn't my fault. 
  • Someone came into our office trying to fight a cold.  He’s clearing his throat every damn minute.  Our office is great at letting us work from home in cases like this so we don’t wipe the whole office out (we’re like 8 people only). He had to leave yesterday to take care of his sick boy.
    i’m popping elderberry pills like it’s candy.

we tried to see Joker on Sunday but it was sold out. We’re seeing it tonight though. So I can talk about it then! 

• @VarunaTT I've definitely heard mixed reviews about Joker. The cinematography looks amazing though. The reviews remind me of the ones for "girl with the dragon tattoo" {which M read and saw 2x and still couldn't handle a few scenes}

@kvruns what topic? you have my curiosity lol

@CharmedPam do you have ability to work from home with your job? I would suggest it to coworker "wow, you sound rough. Why don't you work from home this afternoon?"

So first of all, I'm pretty stoked I'm getting the process started to do my counseling course :)
    I got the approval yesterday in a meeting with my boss.

Other news, BabyKitten went to bed fine but was up for a bit again. Then removed her sleeper and woke up almost an hour early as well. In her defense, she tried to put the sleeper back on and did not touch her diaper .... so there's that. At least she hasn't tried climbing out, and I'm glad for that. We're getting a rug soon so hopefully that will help - not to prevent her, but if she does get out it's a soft spot.

I am so friggen excited for my course lmao
  • It's totally a Tuesday.  DH and I did go to bed at a reasonable time last night, so that was nice. 

I'm loving this fall weather.  There's nothing better than burrowing under the warm blankets in bed.  ;) 

Watching last night's Below Deck.  :D  

SSDD otherwise. 
  • I really want to go see The Joker this weekend. It's typically not my kind of movie, but I love Joaquin Phoenix. 

I've been fighting a cold since the weekend. I took yesterday off and am feeling somewhat better today. But it's kicking my ass. I actually took hot yoga on Sunday hoping it would help knock it out of my system but no luck. 

Other than that, SSDD. 
  • Work is busy with a few thousand different things!  Ugh, why all at once!  Meeting friends for dinner and we haven't seen each other in over a year!  We were supposed to have our Christmas dinner at my house in Dec, but I got wiped out by a stomach bug.  We never rescheduled Christmas and just dropped the ball on getting together.  There was not one day in all of Sept that the 5 of us were free, so today it is!

Last night I took DD to the fire prevention night at our firehouse.  It was fun, she liked it a lot.  It didn't start until 7, so I got us there right before 7 and we left by 7:30.  She also tripped over my foot and fell and hit her forehead and gave herself a nice scrap/bruise.  It is also picture day tomorrow - thank God for her bangs!  Though I don't think we will buy any pics anyway - the ones through daycare are super pricey!  They usually get a good smile from her, so I always feel so torn about buying them when we see the proofs.
  • I'm working on a big project at work and am stalled because I can't get what I need from others.  Ugh, I hate that.

Weather is definitely fall here.  The last few days have been beautiful with clear skies and temps in the high 50s.  They are taking a dive on Friday with rain at the end of the week.  Possibility of a dusting of snow on Saturday!  Ick, it won't last but it is too early.  I'm just trying to make the transition from sandals to socks and shoes.

This weekend I finally got through all of our trip pictures and put together some albums on Flickr.  We took over 500 pics so while I made an album with all of the keepers, I also did a highlights album to share with friends and family.
  • Now that there is another person working p/t in my department (f/t at the moment), the stress of my workload has lightened up so much!  I'm still training her on some things, but she has caught on to the main stuff and is mostly flying solo now (phew).  I feel like this is the first time I've been able to catch my breath at work in months, lol.

Long story short, it has recently come to my attention that it is extremely critical that children learn how to read at their grade level by 3rd grade.  Because, by 4th grade, they need to be reading to learn.  Not still struggling to read well.  And the statistics and articles I was reading about that said when children don't hit that milestone, their chances of living below the poverty line as an adult increases dramatically.

It just broke my heart to think that something that happens so early in life could have such life altering consequences later.  And where I live in NOLA...home of the bottom ranking public school districts in the nation...about 30% of 3rd graders are not reading at grade level.  This is not a new problem and, no surprise, this city also has a high poverty rate.

I'm tired of complaining about problems.  So I went online last night to see if there are volunteer opportunities to help young children (or adults) learn to read.  And zilch :(.  There are a few organizations out there, but only one had info about volunteering.  However, the times they need volunteers are what looks like right after school ends.  Which means it is the late afternoon and I am at work during those times.  At any rate, I'll keep my eye out.  Someday I'll be "retired" from my 7-5 job and someday sooner I can at least donate money to these organizations.

Not sure why I wrote all that!  It's just a cause that really struck me and I'm thinking out loud.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger offering employees a set amount of $ that can be used towards HSA contributions, 401k contributions, or studen loans. Sounds simple but there are nuances with each type due to the rules that govern those types of benefits and how you administer it and I"m just not familiar with it at all. But our sales people think I know everything
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2019
    I'm tired of complaining about problems.  So I went online last night to see if there are volunteer opportunities to help young children (or adults) learn to read.  And zilch :(.  There are a few organizations out there, but only one had info about volunteering.  However, the times they need volunteers are what looks like right after school ends.  Which means it is the late afternoon and I am at work during those times.  At any rate, I'll keep my eye out.  Someday I'll be "retired" from my 7-5 job and someday sooner I can at least donate money to these organizations.
    I have been thinking about volunteering with our literacy organization here in town for that same thing.  Also, just as an FYI:  you can always start an organization like that that would better meet your personal volunteering needs.  I'm sure you're not alone in wanting to help and being a working professional.  :)  I've held off, only because I feel like now that I'm fairly well healed and rested from my burnout of community work, I maybe need to do something that's a bit selfish for awhile.  I'm going to be taking an adult acting class and freshen up the acting chops and maybe audition for a show.  IDK, we'll see where my path leads.
  • It’s still 95 here. Ugh. Yesterday felt pretty successful. I organized the kitchen and got rid of some stuff I almost never use and went to the gym. The kitchen took almost all day but I’m so happy it’s done. 

I’m not sure if I want to see Joker, despite reviews. I guess I just feel like life is so bleak right now I’d rather see something a little more uplifting. I’m getting tired of all of the people who don’t understand the point of the movie though. I’ve lost count of how many FB “friends” have posted that its purpose is to glamorize violence and that’s why police presence has increased around movie theaters. 

Studying, more house stuff, and gym today. I slept terribly last night although I went to bed by ten. I’m hoping I perk up soon. Some tea or coffee might help. I’ve been back into my tea game, and I have all the amazing tea to try now that I’ve cleared out the cabinet and organized it. 

@short+sassy that’s a great personal goal. It’s also crazy that most adults read at a 5th-8th grade level. Fourteen percent of adults are illiterate in America. Working in healthcare in an underserved area where I have encountered illiteracy and poor comprehension has been eye opening. It changes your whole view and the way you communicate with people. 

• kvruns said:
    @MissKittyDanger offering employees a set amount of $ that can be used towards HSA contributions, 401k contributions, or studen loans. Sounds simple but there are nuances with each type due to the rules that govern those types of benefits and how you administer it and I"m just not familiar with it at all. But our sales people think I know everything
    So kind of like the details and specifics of each item and how it could affect you long term?
    Regardless, yeh that doesn't sound as easy as originally reading. 5hrs to learn it all? fx and vibes you can!!
  • kvruns said:
    @MissKittyDanger offering employees a set amount of $ that can be used towards HSA contributions, 401k contributions, or studen loans. Sounds simple but there are nuances with each type due to the rules that govern those types of benefits and how you administer it and I"m just not familiar with it at all. But our sales people think I know everything
    Good luck cramming that info in.

As an aside, I personally love HSA.  I previously worked for a company that contributed (I think) $300/month to everyone's HSA account.  So awesome.

But not my current company.  However, I still max out my HSA every year.  Though use about half of it each year because we have a high-deductible medical plan.  Still, even for the half I don't use in the same year, I save on income tax for medical expense money I'll eventually need anyway as I age.  Hopefully not sooner, lol!  But then, you never know about that either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck @kvruns!  What kind of counseling @MissKittyDanger?
    That's such a great thing to be passionate about @short+sassy are there public libraries near you?  Maybe they'd have the space for a start up volunteer program like that?  Or contacting an elementary school directly to see if they have after school volunteer positions? Although I realize areas with robust library and after school programs usually aren't the ones lagging behind.

I miss the Harry Potter characters from my HP book binge so I think im going to watch the movies, even though I'm not really a movie person.  Other than that just daydreaming about the salsa Verde enchiladas prepped and sitting in my fridge, ready to be thrown in the oven when I get home. Lol 

• @ei34 So what my company does are bankruptcies {uh ... chapter 13 insolvency I believe it's called in the states?} so the course is for a credit counselor. When you file a bankruptcy or proposal in Canada, you have to do 2 credit counseling appointments. That's what I am doing the course for :) 

Next up, estate administrator! {in a couple years} Which would be reviewing files for income changes, etc.
  • ei34 said:
    Good luck @kvruns!  What kind of counseling @MissKittyDanger?
    That's such a great thing to be passionate about @short+sassy are there public libraries near you?  Maybe they'd have the space for a start up volunteer program like that?  Or contacting an elementary school directly to see if they have after school volunteer positions? Although I realize areas with robust library and after school programs usually aren't the ones lagging behind.

I miss the Harry Potter characters from my HP book binge so I think im going to watch the movies, even though I'm not really a movie person.  Other than that just daydreaming about the salsa Verde enchiladas prepped and sitting in my fridge, ready to be thrown in the oven when I get home. Lol 
    The NOLA public library actually does have regular reading classes for adults.  But those are also during the weekday.  It's a good idea to contact the NOLA library or schools directly.  However, some of my hesitation in that is I feel like I'd need some guidance from an established program first to learn how to best teach reading/writing.  But that does get my wheels rolling for other ways to jump over that obstacle. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  have you contacted any literacy program/companies directly? They may not have much online, but you could also ask about doing stuff on weekends?
  • kvruns said:
    So kind of like the details and specifics of each item and how it could affect you long term?
    Regardless, yeh that doesn't sound as easy as originally reading. 5hrs to learn it all? fx and vibes you can!!
    it's more of dealing with the tax laws that affect each type of benefit and which combination of items you can offer a choice for based on if they are pretax, post tax, cashout or not, deferred compensation or not, etc 

@short+sassy HSAs are great. I wish more people understood them better. Heck I wish I understood it better back when I had one at my last job and barely contributed to it when I could have afforded more. I no longer have one now but i use it for expenses still which is nice. 
  • kvruns said:
    kvruns said:
    it's more of dealing with the tax laws that affect each type of benefit and which combination of items you can offer a choice for based on if they are pretax, post tax, cashout or not, deferred compensation or not, etc 

@short+sassy HSAs are great. I wish more people understood them better. Heck I wish I understood it better back when I had one at my last job and barely contributed to it when I could have afforded more. I no longer have one now but i use it for expenses still which is nice. 
    @kvruns that's why I always defer to compliance experts when my employer groups ask about these type of spending accounts ;) In my part of the country we're just start to get around to offering Lifestyle Spending Accounts but thankfully those are pretty straightforward, post-tax accounts. I also wish I could get more people to embrace HSAs but I also work with a lot of employer groups where employees are barely making ends meet, let alone saving for anything. 
  • @short+sassy  have you contacted any literacy program/companies directly? They may not have much online, but you could also ask about doing stuff on weekends?
    I haven't.  I did my first Googling last night.  But that's a good idea also.

Speaking of Google, in their usual annoyance.  Although the natural links were what I was actually looking for.  I was also bombarded with their paid advertising links for courses/books/etc. that are out there for students who need extra tutoring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34 said:
    Good luck @kvruns!  What kind of counseling @MissKittyDanger?

The NOLA public library actually does have regular reading classes for adults.  But those are also during the weekday.  It's a good idea to contact the NOLA library or schools directly.  However, some of my hesitation in that is I feel like I'd need some guidance from an established program first to learn how to best teach reading/writing.  But that does get my wheels rolling for other ways to jump over that obstacle. 
    Our school had (and maybe still has) a reading program for elementary students but it is run through the school system not the individual schools. Maybe if you contact the school administration offices they could give you some guidance. 
  • Saw this on FB - a bridal salon closed and a bunch of dresses ended up at Goodwill by my house. How awesome would that be? Wonder how much they area 

• Just saw another post that said the dresses were $250 each. So while still probably cheaper than the bridal store I was thinking a lot cheaper for goodwill 
  • kvruns said:
    Just saw another post that said the dresses were $250 each. So while still probably cheaper than the bridal store I was thinking a lot cheaper for goodwill 
    Which store closed?

• kvruns said:
    Just saw another post that said the dresses were $250 each. So while still probably cheaper than the bridal store I was thinking a lot cheaper for goodwill 
    Which store closed?

Not sure, just one of the comments on the FB post said a worker told them a store closed.