Wedding Woes
Options

Why make it worse for a sad girl?

Dear Prudence,

I’m a young woman living in NYC. My boyfriend and I don’t live together, but we stay at each other’s places a lot. He lives in a fancy apartment building in a prime part of the city, where many wealthy families and working professionals live. I have a French bulldog who regularly stays at his place with me, and we just got a terrier puppy. There’s a family on the floor above us who have infant twins and a 5-year-old girl, “May.” I rarely see the parents, and the children are mostly cared for by a nanny, “Katie,” who I’ve become friends with. May adores my dogs and loves playing with them. I don’t mind, as she’s very charming and sweet, and she considers me one of her “only friends” and tells me that her parents are always very busy. Last week, I was getting the dogs ready for a walk, had the door a bit open with my bulldog’s leash tied around the doorknob, and was trying to put my terrier’s leash on when he ran into a bedroom. I chased him and heard the elevator open and close while I put his leash on.

When I went to the door, my bulldog was gone. I ran downstairs, and searched the lobby, and the floors leading up to ours, when I had the idea that perhaps May would like to join in the search. When Katie answered the door, she asked if I “wanted my dog back from his play date” and said that he was in May’s room.

When May saw me, she burst into tears, explaining that my dog was her only friend, and apologized, begging me to let her keep him. I explained to a confused Katie that May had actually taken the dog without my permission, and I took him and got out of there. My boyfriend was shocked that I hadn’t been more angry in the moment and wants to write a letter to May’s parents, telling them what happened, and encouraging them to fire Katie, as well as get May some therapy. I think this is extreme and that May was at fault, not Katie. I also have had only a little bit of contact with the parents. What should I do?

—The Dog Days Are Over

Re: Why make it worse for a sad girl?

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Honestly, I'd probably just chat with May about boundaries and make sure she understood that what she did wasn't okay, but that she would still be allowed to play with the dogs under certain conditions, if LW is comfortable with that.
    this.
    Reaction needs to suit the situation.
    SHE IS FIVE
  • Options
    Omg OP you are the one at fault. You let your dog get loose and a small child brought him home. Be a better adult and don’t lose your dog. 
  • Options
    This whole thing was an accident, and while she shouldn’t have taken the dog and lied the suggestion to get the nanny fired and that the kid needs therapy is extreme. Talk to the kid about why this was bad, but then leave it at that. Let her play, supervised, with the dog if you want but anything more is an overreaction. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Omg OP you are the one at fault. You let your dog get loose and a small child brought him home. Be a better adult and don’t lose your dog. 
    I read it as the bulldog was on its leash which was tied to the slightly open door and the little girl took the leash off the doorknob while the LW was getting the other dog ready in the bedroom.
    I reread it and got the same - little girl took leash off knob and left
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I read it as the bulldog was on its leash which was tied to the slightly open door and the little girl took the leash off the doorknob while the LW was getting the other dog ready in the bedroom.
    That's how I read it too.   And if that's the case you can make the argument that this is something that you literally open the door to if you leave a door open and someone with less than honest intentions comes by,  the LW is negligent and the child is the one who acted with poor intentions.

Our town frequently posts that people report that stuff is stolen from inside unlocked cars and reminds residents to lock their cars.   But it's not the residents fault that their stuff was stolen.   They neglected to lock a door and it made an illegal act easier. 
  • Options
    This is how I read it too. 

Either way, their reaction is extreme. 
  • Options
    That b/f is going way off the deep end!  I'd even go so far as to say this could be a red flag and would start paying more attention to how he treats people.  That he feels a person should be fired over something so minor would be concerning to me.  Possibly just an aberration of his usual good character, but I'd keep my eye out.
    Yup - all of that too.   BF's grasp of reality and how he treats others should be called into question. 
  • Options
    This is how I read it too. 

Either way, their reaction is extreme. 
    Yeah either way leaving your dog tied loosely to an open door is stupid and your own fault. 
  • Options
    The kid is five, LW handled it awesome.  May needs playdates with kids her age and school will be a good thing for her because it will get her connections and social interaction which she's currently not getting.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I wonder if the BF's calling for Katie to be fired is more about how May, her charge, who's 5, ran off without her knowing and then came back with the dog and Katie didn't question the situation?  I mean, there's *some* validity to his concern about a 5 year old not being watched closely enough, but also I can see how if there was established interaction and Katie's also taking care of 2 twin babies along with May, if May was like, "I'm going down one floor to get the puppy for a playdate!", that Katie may have not thought anything of it.  

This whole situation is a teaching moment for May, and all three of these adults.  I don't feel May's parents need to be looped in unless this becomes a persistent issue. 

Also, does this motherfucker know how hard it is to find good childcare?  ;) 
    My guess is that if the BF is living in a wealthy building in NYC that there is security at the front preventing guests from going up so there's a feeling that May can go out and explore on a floor above for a few minutes. 

Also the same feeling that a dog on a leash tied to a door is secure.

Neither is completely safe although I wouldn't call either stupid. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    I wonder if the BF's calling for Katie to be fired is more about how May, her charge, who's 5, ran off without her knowing and then came back with the dog and Katie didn't question the situation?  I mean, there's *some* validity to his concern about a 5 year old not being watched closely enough, but also I can see how if there was established interaction and Katie's also taking care of 2 twin babies along with May, if May was like, "I'm going down one floor to get the puppy for a playdate!", that Katie may have not thought anything of it.  

This whole situation is a teaching moment for May, and all three of these adults.  I don't feel May's parents need to be looped in unless this becomes a persistent issue. 

Also, does this motherfucker know how hard it is to find good childcare?  ;) 
    My guess is that if the BF is living in a wealthy building in NYC that there is security at the front preventing guests from going up so there's a feeling that May can go out and explore on a floor above for a few minutes. 

Also the same feeling that a dog on a leash tied to a door is secure.

Neither is completely safe although I wouldn't call either stupid. 
    Exactly.  It's like your kid going next door in a regular neighborhood.