Wedding Woes

Let's talk Christmas presents...

What do you want? Who do you have to buy for? What's everyone getting? 

H and I aren't exchanging gifts this year, and instead are going skiing for a week next month in VT. I think my dad is getting me a new set of knives, and I'm super excited about it. 

This is what I've bought so far:

Mom: LL Bean slippers 
Dad: he asked for a new 10" pan from William Sonoma 
Brother and SIL: bought them drinking glasses and pillows that were still on their registry 
Aunt: robe from Pottery Barn 
Aunt's boyfriend: leather gloves 

I have no idea if we're exchanging this year with H's brother and his wife. Also I'm not sure if my other aunt and uncle are coming to Xmas. If they do, I'll just get them wine. 

Re: Let's talk Christmas presents...

• DH is getting an extension ladder and I'm getting a Ninja Foodi or the equivalent from Crockpot or whatever. 

I have my sister's stocking, so I'm getting her locally roasted coffee and I'm not sure what else. 
    I am thinking about getting family necklaces for my mom, sisters, and myself. 
    We have no idea on our gift exchange stuff on DH's side (white elephant). We need to get on that. 
    DefConn is getting clothes, nerf guns, hot wheels, new shoes (if I find them ;) ) , merch from his fave youtubers stores, and I'm sure a few other things we haven't gotten yet.  
    The kiddo is getting clothes, cologne, shoes, xbox live, and other stuff
    Kiddo's gf is getting a wallet earrings, hat, scarf, and maybe some nicer fuzzy socks
    We'll probably buy FIL a nice life jacket for the boat/water skiing
    My two toddler nephews are getting a sandbox from us and then a few smaller items
    My other nephews, IDK yet because my sister hasn't given us a list
    My foster nephew is getting a game and some legos
    My nieces are getting PINK sweats from VS and then some beauty stuff

I need to figure out what I want DH's stepgrandma to buy me.  It has to be from Amazon and around $75 total. 
  • I'm barely buying anything this year since DH and I aren't doing gifts. I just do gifts for DS and my parents but it's never anything over the top.

baby B: a big paw patrol fire truck, firehouse play set, a 3 wheel scooter, and I forget what else. I have a closet full of stuff I can pull out for him.

mom: digital photo frame, craft kit she can do with my niece

dad: 2 sweaters he wants and maybe add something else if I can think of it

grandparents: photo mouse pad from when we visited. I might get something else if I can think of anything they'd like. I got them a tablet back in Sept which they love
  • I am a bad fiancée and have only gotten FI a shirt so far. I have a lot more to buy, but I haven’t gotten to it. 

Mom: boots and a Fresh face set from Sephora. 

Dad: watch case, sweater, tool case, shoes

FSIL: Mia Smart cleansing brush, face masks

FBIL: a foldable squatty potty (inside joke) and a tool set so I can take mine back lol

Brother: two shirts

BFF: Kitchenaid attachment set

Godson: toy tool set and build a dinosaur set

Cousin 1: Sephora gc, UD setting spray

Cousin 2: Uber gc and wine

• DD is getting a power wheels dune buggy, a Peppa Pig stuffed animal, Sesame Street building with some figurines, a Peppa parade float, appliances for her play kitchen and clothes.  She gets stocking stuffers too.  

H is getting a new winter jacket, a robe, underwear, ice ball mold and stocking stuffers.

We do a Secret Santa with my family, so I got my cousin a Yeti.  H had cousin's GF and we still need to buy her something from her wishlist.  

For oldest niece, I got her an Ulta gc and some brushes that were on sale on BF.  Other niece is getting a dolly and me matching outfit for her Our Generation doll plus another accessory kit for OG.  Nephews get clothes and legos.  

My friends' kids get either books or Lego kits from me.

We also adopt a family through H's work.  Our contribution is jackets for all the kids, make up kits for the girls, a Fortnite shirt for the boy, Contigo water bottles for all the kids and cleaning supplies for Grandma (at her request).

I'm waiting on Target's yearly gift card sale, so I can buy them for DDs teachers.
  • I'm not sure what I'm getting anyone yet - I just know that I'm excited to get some cute stuff for my baby niece!
  • VarunaTT said:

My parents: $50 GC to one of their favorite restaurants (they're so damn hard to buy for)

SIB

I’ll probably do the same thing too since mine are so hard to buy for!  I had a lot of fun buying for the kids this year.  I’m actually done.  But to be fair, I don’t have a whole lot to buy for either. 

• @VarunaTT I know someone who would also like a "May the Forge be With You" shirt ... that sounds amazing!  
    I don't do gifts on my side of the family - I buy everyone a chocolate initial since that's a Dutch thing, and then for the kids I put money in their college funds.  Now on hubby's side ... that's a different story.  We've been trying to convince them to not do a gift exchange since we got married, and no dice.  I should leave it up to hubby to figure out, but he never knows what to get and doesn't want to go shopping, so I've inevitably do it, but I really don't like it.  We're all adults and if we want something we can go out and buy it ... so it sort of makes it hard to figure out what to get, or even what I want to get.  

• kerbohl said:
    @VarunaTT I know someone who would also like a "May the Forge be With You" shirt ... that sounds amazing!  
    I don't do gifts on my side of the family - I buy everyone a chocolate initial since that's a Dutch thing, and then for the kids I put money in their college funds.  Now on hubby's side ... that's a different story.  We've been trying to convince them to not do a gift exchange since we got married, and no dice.  I should leave it up to hubby to figure out, but he never knows what to get and doesn't want to go shopping, so I've inevitably do it, but I really don't like it.  We're all adults and if we want something we can go out and buy it ... so it sort of makes it hard to figure out what to get, or even what I want to get.  
    Here's the link in case you need/want it:  https://www.amazon.com/Forge-Blacksmith-Metal-Working-Weld/dp/B079L2ZH89/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=may+the+forge+be+with+you&qid=1575555707&sr=8-1
  • VarunaTT said:
    kerbohl said:
    @VarunaTT I know someone who would also like a "May the Forge be With You" shirt ... that sounds amazing!  
    Here's the link in case you need/want it:  https://www.amazon.com/Forge-Blacksmith-Metal-Working-Weld/dp/B079L2ZH89/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=may+the+forge+be+with+you&qid=1575555707&sr=8-1
    That's amazing!  Thanks for passing that along!

• BabyKitten: Patone colour books {pack of 6}, bath toys {Ubbi - silicone and doesn't mold!}, play food {to go with kitchen}, and crayons {which we've already used 2}

M: david's tea mug {has fishies}, and a Dr Who lunch kit

My mum: tickets for Cats stage production, family photo and photo of BabyKitten
    Mum's bf: Philly Flyers mug {mum helped me figure which to get - travel or home}

MIL/sFIL : movie tix, photo of BabyKitten {each - for offices} and family photo

FIL/sMIL : popcorn set {Costco}, also photo of BabyKitten and us

BIL/SIL : board game & photos

sBIL: photo and something else {idk what}

Nana: photos plus calendar and box of Black Magic chocolates {tradition}

Granny: loofa brush, maybe some nice scented skin stuff & photos

Everyone else is just getting photo of BabyKitten and family photo.
  • Christmas is stressing me out this year. I literally haven't started.

DH and I probably won't exchange gifts this year, since it's shaping up to be an expensive one otherwise. Plus, he just bought himself a new ipad 2 weeks ago and that was what I was planning to get him. 

Mom: Fitbit and another year of Ipsy
    Dad: I have no idea
    Sister: I have no idea
    BIL: I have no idea
    Niece/Nephew: Money in their investment accounts, plus probably a couple of books
    DH's family: DH's problem.
  • I haven't started Christmas yet... It is especially hard to get in the spirit here because it is still in the 90s some days. But in my head:

DH: I quit my job... That's his present
    DS: he is going to be so spoiled. Refrigerator magnets, play kitchen (hoping to find one second hand), balance bike, + whatever DH impulse buys

MIL: ring doorbell + 1 year of fees
    SIL/BIL: gift certificate to a local restaurant (they are foodies)
    Niece (11)/nephew (13): Niece is into Boho fashion so I might try to send a nice Maxi skirt and floppy hat. I would love to give her a Stitch fix Kids box but I don't think the bang for the buck is there. Opinions???
    Nephew is into his bike? Idk what that means, lol.
    OBIL: ? He just blew up his life. Quit his job, broke up with his girlfriend, plans on moving out of the city and go back home but we are tired of giving him money so ???

Mom: ?
    Dad: splurging a little on Dad since he doesn't have much family, a robot vacuum
    Sister/ her bf: we are paying for her ticket out here, which is her birthday present but I am rolling it into Christmas as well as we will probably fund several meals or activities while they are here so their present is finding.
    Brother1 (23): gc to Alamo Drafthouse (movie theater with food and drink) ??
    Brother2 (22): same as brother 1
    Brother3 (19): ?
  • I have something for DH but still need to add to it.   It's going to be whiskey-related and maybe something for fishing.

For the kids I am hoping to sit with DH tonight and get a decent amount for them.   Then I can wrap and hide.

I have no idea what we're doing for my niece and nephews or my brother and his BF.   Ugh. 
  • So for the most part - I’m done!  I have to send a basket to some bff’s but closer to the holidays.  I also need something small for my office.  There’s only 7 of us.  We usually give each other something small.  I’ve always done food in the past but if anyone has a cute gift idea around $5-10 that would be great!

• Ugh... I sent SIL some pictures of what I was thinking for Niece. Turns out she is not into Boho fashion as I was previously told, she is into Vsco fashion. So now I need to figure out whatever the hell that is, besides ugly.
    Scrunchies, oversized t-shirts, hydra flasks and an instax camera:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/9/24/20881656/vsco-girl-meme-what-is-a-vsco-girl

• banana468 said:
    Ugh... I sent SIL some pictures of what I was thinking for Niece. Turns out she is not into Boho fashion as I was previously told, she is into Vsco fashion. So now I need to figure out whatever the hell that is, besides ugly.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/9/24/20881656/vsco-girl-meme-what-is-a-vsco-girl

Yeah - VSCO girl is actually probably easier than Boho!  Oversized t-shirt or sweatshirts.  Plain black leggings too.  That is what my niece wears, but I didn't buy her any clothes this year, just Ulta GC and some brushes.
  • banana468 said:
    Ugh... I sent SIL some pictures of what I was thinking for Niece. Turns out she is not into Boho fashion as I was previously told, she is into Vsco fashion. So now I need to figure out whatever the hell that is, besides ugly.

Short version is VSOC is updated version of 90s kids
  • banana468 said:

Thanks a lot for the old lady moment, lol.  It's bad enough when I no longer wear the latest fashions.  But when I don't even know the definitions (sigh), smh.

Looks like it's time for me to start taking up residence on my porch so I can yell at kids to "get off my lawn", lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Santa only brings the kids 2-3 presents each so that's not too hard, especially since they can write/dictate exactly what they want now. Except that DS is suddenly very into Legos and jeez they're expensive.
    Got H some clothes and a drill he needed...will stuff his stocking with a big bar of Toblerone and some other small, fun "want" things. 

I bake my brother brownies and bought my father a kayak accessory that struck me as useful.  Although i couldve just donated to Pete Buttigieg's campaign in his name.  I make my mom and sisters a recipe in a jar, last year they all loved chunky oatmeal cookies, I'm going to make them a peppermint hot cocoa this year.  I make one of my aunts a calender on Shutterfly.  My SILs get a gift bag with wine and nice chocolate, and FIL gets a four-fold frame w/ the kids school pictures and one of them with him in the middle. My sister and I share our wishlists for our kids with each other so I went off of that for my nieces.  My H-side nephews (all tween/teens) I found a tshirt that says "I paused my game to be here" which I think theyll like..along with their favorite candy. 

Then there's missing the days before the kids were in school - three teachers, three asst teachers, the crossing guard, the early morning dropoff staff, the gym teacher all three kids rave about, DS's OT, PT and ST...it adds up  :p 
  • banana468 said:

Thanks a lot for the old lady moment, lol.  It's bad enough when I no longer wear the latest fashions.  But when I don't even know the definitions (sigh), smh.

Looks like it's time for me to start taking up residence on my porch so I can yell at kids to "get off my lawn", lol.
    LOLOLOL same!
    My coworker is 24 and loves scrunchies, and I'm like "Urggg making me feel old!" and then I shake my fist .... because old.

If you're gonna be on the porch, get a good rocker. Keeps the vibe up ;)
  • VarunaTT said:
    I have laughed so hard at the 90s fashion coming back 'round.  These necklaces especially (the choker):
    Image result for 90s necklace

The first time I saw one at the mall, I just kind of stopped, stunned.  Then I saw young people wearing them and I was like YES, I HAVE LIVED LONG ENOUGH FOR THE 90S TO COME BACK AND I LOVE IT, where are my overalls and Docs?  :D
    I definitely had all of these necklaces. 
  • I am DONE.
    Mostly.  more or less.

My nephews are getting: a block set designed for knocking down: (you build on a platform and stomp on a thing and they fling off) and a duplo-compatable marble run set.

The kiddo is getting some age appropriate makeup (ARGH But she wants it and I want to control it a bit, so, from us) and a pottery wheel and some other craft stuff and spin balls.

The Mr. is getting good cologne and a new winter coat

My other niece and nephew are getting a museum membership and...I haven't decided yet, I'll pick something up at work.

My sister from the draw is getting running torches and makeup.

And I just ordered this for my dad:https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784GX2DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking for the Mr.'s stocking stuffers; the kid I've got to many

• VarunaTT said:
    I have laughed so hard at the 90s fashion coming back 'round.  These necklaces especially (the choker):
    Image result for 90s necklace

The first time I saw one at the mall, I just kind of stopped, stunned.  Then I saw young people wearing them and I was like YES, I HAVE LIVED LONG ENOUGH FOR THE 90S TO COME BACK AND I LOVE IT, where are my overalls and Docs?  :D
    Docs are BACK!   Even one of the trendy mom fashion sites I follow is featuring them.   https://themomedit.com/womens-fall-fashion-trends-im-actually-buying/ 
  • My side of the family (7ppl) draws names for one bigger gift and then one person (me the last few years) handles stocking stuffers for everyone.  I'm done with stocking stuffers and my grandma's big gift - just need to get everything wrapped. 

H and I have his sister and BIL in our "sibling" draw - so far I have a cold brew pitcher and an REI gift card (they're super outdoorsy, I am not, so I dont' want to pick the wrong camping/hiking stuff).  They moved into a new house this year and are pretty religious so was thinking a nice nativity scene set for Christmas time too.  Thoughts on that?

Still need gift for FIL/MIL - was thinking one of those digital picture frames that I could send pics to from my phone.  They are outrageously excited for baby and I think they would like seeing new pics all the time.  Does anyone have something like that or see pros/cons?