Wedding Woes
Options

I don't know if I can continue the charade.

Dear Prudence,

My grandparents abused my mother for years when she was a teenager. My grandfather would get drunk and hit her (I haven’t heard specifics, but my mother did let it slip that he would punch her every time she got back up until she stopped trying to get up). My grandmother turned her back on her daughter, did nothing, and has remained married to him. My grandfather pretended to get sober when I was born, so my mother tentatively continued a relationship with her parents and moved back into their home while pregnant (in large part because she had nowhere else to go). I was unaware of my grandparents’ abuse until I was around 15 or so and was somewhat shocked by the news. It was difficult to reconcile the sweet, caring grandparents who helped raise me with her stories of the narcissistic, heartless monsters who raised her. This has been all been compounded by the fact that we still attend family holidays, but under a strict “let’s pretend that didn’t happen” pretense.

Personally, I’ve been ready to cut off my grandparents since I first learned the news. Their behavior is abhorrent to me, and I don’t believe they appreciate just how lucky they are for getting away with this, consequence-free. I’m additionally enraged by their behavior because I saw my mother struggle with PTSD, and my grandparents were of little help then, even though they were the people who caused these issues. My grandfather has long since resumed drinking, though my grandmother pretends she doesn’t know. Most recently, my hatred for them has manifested itself in anger dreams where I call my grandmother a whore and beat my grandfather. Part of me feels guilty for having these dreams, but another part feels relieved for letting the “secret” out. Seeing as the holidays are coming up and I may be expected to make yet another visit, what should I do? Despite their behavior, I do love them for what they’ve done for me and for my memories of the good times.

—But They’re Also Assholes

Re: I don't know if I can continue the charade.

• Options
    What does your mother want to do? She’s the survivor here. You can absolutely decide for yourself if you do or so not want to see them, or be involved in their lives, but your mom is the one who lived through the abuse and she deserves to decide how she interacts with her parents. 

If you don’t want to go, don’t go; but I’d speak with your mother before you decide to confront the grandparents. 
  • Options
    How old are you and are you able to advocate for yourself without financial ramifications? 

If you don't want to go then tell your mom.   But I also think you need to consider that there's a possibility that your grandmother may have not known what to do or where to go.   If grandma is pretending that she doesn't know her H is drinking, (I assume to excess) then grandma may have come up with her own coping mechanism to avoid being abused herself and does not want to "upset the apple cart" because for many women who are grandmothers, their financial well-being is tied to their husbands and leaving them means entering too many unknowns.   It is not an excuse for her behavior with her daughter however the LW may do well to talk to a therapist about this.

What I'd do is talk to my mom and see if there's a way to make the visit fast with no extended stay.  Or if they're busy on the holiday, perhaps it will be lower stress to go later? 

• Options
    I can sympathize with this. My father's parents were extremely abusive to him as well. They both died while I was young, so I never had to contend with having an adult relationship with them, while knowing how awful they were to my dad. I actually went to visit my other grandfather's grave, and accidentally found my dad's father's grave. And I spit on it. So I get it. 

I think LW should speak to her mother open about how she feels, but ultimately if cutting them out of her life would grant her peace, she should do it. 
  • Options
    It's up to you what kind of relationship to have with your grandparents, if any at all. However, there are some things you need to consider here: 

- Are you an independent adult, or will there be financial consequences for you if you decide to cut ties with them now?
    - How's your relationship with your mother, and how will cutting your grandparents out of your life affect that? 
    - Even if you decide not to see your grandparents anymore, only your mom can decide whether she wants them in her life or not. Can you respect that, and can you refrain from trying to convince her to cut them out too?

I would recommend addressing these issues with a therapist if you can. 

• Options
    I definitely think LW should seek counseling and seek with the mother. It's hard seeing your grandparent as someone else, and LW's mother may want LW to have a good relationship with them, despite how hers was.
  • Options
    I definitely think LW should seek counseling and seek with the mother. It's hard seeing your grandparent as someone else, and LW's mother may want LW to have a good relationship with them, despite how hers was.
    But the mother doesn't get to decide who her adult child has relationships with. 
  • Options
    But the mother doesn't get to decide who her adult child has relationships with. 
    LW found out when she was 15, that doesn't mean she's an adult now.

Also I meant that was why LW's mother never said anything about her childhood.
  • Options
    LW found out when she was 15, that doesn't mean she's an adult now.

Also I meant that was why LW's mother never said anything about her childhood.
    She talks about contending with another visit, and it sounds like she has a choice. That leads me to believe she's adult. Either way though, it up to LW if she wants to have a relationship with them, and counseling WITH her mother might not be productive, if her mother has continued to have a relationship with her parents.