Etiquette

Addressing children 18+ with plus 1

I have a family I'm inviting to my wedding. The two children still live at home but are over 18. I'm inviting the children's significant others but not sure how to address the invitations. Do you send 3 separate invites to the same house?

Re: Addressing children 18+ with plus 1

  • ILoveBeachMusicILoveBeachMusic Indiana member
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Yes you would send three separate invitations to the same house. You would address them to Mr. John Doe and Ms. Ann White, Mr. John Smith and Ms. Jane Brown etc.
  • climbingwifeclimbingwife NYC 'burbs member
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Yes, separate invites for the adult children and their partners. 

  • Yes.   If they're old enough to enlist in the armed forces then they get their own invitations.

    If you have inner envelopes then the SOs are named on the inner envelope.   If you have outer envelopes only then the SOs/guests are named on a line below the main guest.   If they are in relationships, get the names and write them on the envelope. 
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    LOL. I am going to throw a small amount of snark here and include that IF (not saying they won’t, but......) they do not RSVP in a timely manner, then you must contact THEM and not their parents to get the response.  
    MesmrEweILoveBeachMusic
  • Technically yes, they're suppose to each get their own individual invitation if they're over 18...  Even if your cousin is 40+, single, and still living with Mommy & Daddy...  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Technically yes, they're suppose to each get their own individual invitation if they're over 18...  Even if your cousin is 40+, single, and still living with Mommy & Daddy...  
    Because they are grown adults and it's not for you to judge whether or not living with your parents makes you any less of a grown up.  
    MyNameIsNotcharlotte989875
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    banana468 said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    Technically yes, they're suppose to each get their own individual invitation if they're over 18...  Even if your cousin is 40+, single, and still living with Mommy & Daddy...  
    Because they are grown adults and it's not for you to judge whether or not living with your parents makes you any less of a grown up.  
    Thank you.

    Not too long ago, I was 40+, single, and living with Mommy and Daddy. 

    I still would have preferred to be treated as an adult and received my own invitations during that period. It's insulting to assume that an adult who lives with their parents isn't entitled to be treated as a full adult.

    Some adults live with their parents because they can't afford not to. Others live with their parents because their parents can't manage by themselves. Who is anyone to judge?
    charlotte989875
  • Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    Technically yes, they're suppose to each get their own individual invitation if they're over 18...  Even if your cousin is 40+, single, and still living with Mommy & Daddy...  
    Because they are grown adults and it's not for you to judge whether or not living with your parents makes you any less of a grown up.  
    Thank you.

    Not too long ago, I was 40+, single, and living with Mommy and Daddy. 

    I still would have preferred to be treated as an adult and received my own invitations during that period. It's insulting to assume that an adult who lives with their parents isn't entitled to be treated as a full adult.

    Some adults live with their parents because they can't afford not to. Others live with their parents because their parents can't manage by themselves. Who is anyone to judge?
    And some live with their parents because they want to or it works for their situation. 

    And in all of those cases, those grown adults do not need to be the recipients of passive-aggressive behavior by others who want to allege or insinuate that somehow living away from your parents is what defines adult behavior. 
    charlotte989875
  • banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    Technically yes, they're suppose to each get their own individual invitation if they're over 18...  Even if your cousin is 40+, single, and still living with Mommy & Daddy...  
    Because they are grown adults and it's not for you to judge whether or not living with your parents makes you any less of a grown up.  
    Thank you.

    Not too long ago, I was 40+, single, and living with Mommy and Daddy. 

    I still would have preferred to be treated as an adult and received my own invitations during that period. It's insulting to assume that an adult who lives with their parents isn't entitled to be treated as a full adult.

    Some adults live with their parents because they can't afford not to. Others live with their parents because their parents can't manage by themselves. Who is anyone to judge?
    And some live with their parents because they want to or it works for their situation. 

    And in all of those cases, those grown adults do not need to be the recipients of passive-aggressive behavior by others who want to allege or insinuate that somehow living away from your parents is what defines adult behavior. 
    ...And then there are those cases where the kid never really grew up and the parents are still taking care of them even though they graduated from college decades ago and whine because no one will even date them.  Yes, each situation is different, there are some though that really are worthy of passive-aggressive reactions and "why do I have to send them their own invite?!?!?" 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MesmrEwe said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    Technically yes, they're suppose to each get their own individual invitation if they're over 18...  Even if your cousin is 40+, single, and still living with Mommy & Daddy...  
    Because they are grown adults and it's not for you to judge whether or not living with your parents makes you any less of a grown up.  
    Thank you.

    Not too long ago, I was 40+, single, and living with Mommy and Daddy. 

    I still would have preferred to be treated as an adult and received my own invitations during that period. It's insulting to assume that an adult who lives with their parents isn't entitled to be treated as a full adult.

    Some adults live with their parents because they can't afford not to. Others live with their parents because their parents can't manage by themselves. Who is anyone to judge?
    And some live with their parents because they want to or it works for their situation. 

    And in all of those cases, those grown adults do not need to be the recipients of passive-aggressive behavior by others who want to allege or insinuate that somehow living away from your parents is what defines adult behavior. 
    ...And then there are those cases where the kid never really grew up and the parents are still taking care of them even though they graduated from college decades ago and whine because no one will even date them.  Yes, each situation is different, there are some though that really are worthy of passive-aggressive reactions and "why do I have to send them their own invite?!?!?" 
    No.  No there aren't.  If you think the person is somehow unworthy of being a grown adult and being treated like one while simultaneously warranting an invitation you buck up and use a second invitation @MesmrEwe or you don't invite that person.  Or maybe you think it's ok to send an anonymous book on parenting adults to the home while you want to advocate for your passive aggressive judgement?
    MyNameIsNot
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards