Wedding Woes

Friday, Sick Day Part III

Happy Friday friends. I’m home again today, but feeling slightly better. I think I’m on the upswing but took the day off just to be sure. The whole not taking meds thing is making me a big baby about this cold and I have time off I need to use by the end of March. 

What’s everyone got planned for the weekend? 

My cousin’s 21st birthday is tomorrow so we’re throwing him a boozy brunch at my parents (my mimosa will be made with sparkling water tho) and Sunday dinner at my aunts. Other than that not much at all. Just resting up. 

Re: Friday, Sick Day Part III

• Not much planned for the weekend. I've got a ton of errands to run before I leave Wednesday. 

Tonight: gym, maybe go out to dinner 
    Saturday: hair appt at 9am, shopping, packing  
    Sunday: waxing appt at 10am 

I haven't had my bikini area waxed since maybe 2004? It was at my nail salon, and I think I still have PTSD. But the thought of shaving my bikini line for a week straight this time convinced me to check out the Euro Wax Center near my house. Say your prayers for me  :D

I also ordered these hangover patches on Amazon that claim they completely reduce the effect of a hangover. Maybe I'll give 'em a test run tonight. 
  • @charlotte989875, glad to hear you are at least feeling better!  Hopefully that trend continues.

I had a little good news last night.  I had requested two fast food mystery shops for a new client one of my MS companies have.  If they were given to me, I was going to complete them when I got off work today around noon.  I would much rather have done them next week after Mardi Gras is over.  But, if they'd been given to me, they would have had to have been done yesterday or today.  One is close to my work and the other is close to my house, so I figure'd it would still be okay.

I went last night to see if either one/both had been given to me.  But they had totally disappeared.  Ah ha!  They were re-released with the dates changed to late next week AND they were now "self-assign".  Which meant, now they were my preferred dates, plus I could just assign the shops to myself and didn't need to wait and see if a scheduler gave them to me.

I still have a few pressing things to do today, but none of them should take long and some are by phone.  And the shops being put off to next week unexpectedly freed my day up a little more as I head into my 4-day weekend of (hopefully) rest and relaxation!  Though I'm going to try and not be completely lazy and get some work/organizing done around the house.

((Tossing virtual Mardi Gras beads to my WW friends))

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Chilling with mom at the hospital currently. 

Dinner out for fil’s bday tonight. Doing as little as possible sat/sun with the exception of trying to coordinate lunch with dad and sisters because we need to be on the same page. 
  • I just booked a 60 minute massage and a 90 minute float for tomorrow.  It's completely self-indulgent and I'm very excited about it.  My shoulders have been hovering around my ears lately and, even with concentration, I haven't been able to relax them.

Otherwise, I just really want to see a bunch of movies this weekend.  I haven't been able to in awhile and my monies are being wasted!!
  • Ugh to no meds. I hope you have time to mend over the weekend @charlotte989875!

@climbingwife I was getting Brazillian waxes there last year. It wasn’t too bad. Take a Tylenol before you go. Also if you’re on or near your period it hurts more, just just prepare for it if you are. 

@short+sassy good news about the dates!

@mrsconn23 I’m so sorry your mom is back in the hospital. All of the hugs and good vibes. 

@VarunaTT float and a massage sounds great. 

I woke up at 3:40 this morning, so that was nice. I eventually got up and started cleaning the house since I didn’t get to it yesterday. Im already ready for the end of the work day. I’m meeting FSIL to go to the gym. Then tomorrow we have brunch and shopping planned. I have to go back to Sephora for my bday gift and also because I made a mistake and bought a travel size of something when I need it in the full size. Oh well. 

• @levioosa thanks for the tips! I am actually due for my period next week while on vacation, but am starting my pill pack early to skip it. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Chilling with mom at the hospital currently. 

Dinner out for fil’s bday tonight. Doing as little as possible sat/sun with the exception of trying to coordinate lunch with dad and sisters because we need to be on the same page. 
    How she doing? Does she have to have another surgery? 
  • @charlotte989875, glad to hear you are at least feeling better!  Hopefully that trend continues.

I had a little good news last night.  I had requested two fast food mystery shops for a new client one of my MS companies have.  If they were given to me, I was going to complete them when I got off work today around noon.  I would much rather have done them next week after Mardi Gras is over.  But, if they'd been given to me, they would have had to have been done yesterday or today.  One is close to my work and the other is close to my house, so I figure'd it would still be okay.

I went last night to see if either one/both had been given to me.  But they had totally disappeared.  Ah ha!  They were re-released with the dates changed to late next week AND they were now "self-assign".  Which meant, now they were my preferred dates, plus I could just assign the shops to myself and didn't need to wait and see if a scheduler gave them to me.

I still have a few pressing things to do today, but none of them should take long and some are by phone.  And the shops being put off to next week unexpectedly freed my day up a little more as I head into my 4-day weekend of (hopefully) rest and relaxation!  Though I'm going to try and not be completely lazy and get some work/organizing done around the house.

((Tossing virtual Mardi Gras beads to my WW friends))

Thanks! Happy Mardi Gras! Do you and your H go to parades? 
  • Thanks @levioosa, that no meds sucks. But it makes me feel better about napping all day. 
  • I'm going to try to get some sleep tonight, so going to have nothing planned.  Tomorrow we have an indoor LARP event at our house, so I have to clean and bake and get stuff ready for that.  And then Sunday I have book club - I'm about 30 pages from done the book, so I might finish that tonight.

• Had planned to work from home today and take it easy but instead I'm in the office with a bunch of issues and projects that are causing my brain to hurt from too much thinking. So much for an easy day. I absolutely have to tackle our spare bedroom this weekend, it has turned into a disaster from me buying valentine's clearance for various things.

Walmart is 90% off valentines and includes book. I found a buch of books that have love in the title but aren't overtly valentine's - all were under $1 a piece. Bought a bunch for baby showers, birthday gifts, etc. 

B has a birthday party to go to tomorrow. I have no idea who the kid is but I'm hoping there will be some other kids from class I recognize so I know where to go (it's at one of those big jumpy type places). It is over at 6pm so it will make for late bedtime. Have a feeling he will meltdown trying to leave too. 

• ((Tossing virtual Mardi Gras beads to my WW friends))

Thanks! Happy Mardi Gras! Do you and your H go to parades? 
    We usually don't, lol.  We've kind of become Mardi Gras Grinches in our "old" age.  But, make no mistake, the Mardi Gras parades...and I'm including all of them, not just the ones that are on MG day...are AWESOME!!!  They are like nothing else and a real sight to see.

It took a long time for us to get that way.  We both went to tons of parades and loved them.  Even for years after we'd each moved here.  But then it became less and less.  I still think it's fun on the rare occasion when I go.  But it's also a hassle to get near the parades, park, and then get back out of the area.  Which now usually overrides our desire to go, lol.

Another shame is my workplace is actually on the parade route.  It would be really easy for me to see the weekday night parades.  Except we're toward the middlish end of the route.  So, by the time they get down here, it's usually past 9PM.  I've waited around after work a few times over the years, but 4+ hours is a long time to wait and I usually don't feel like it.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey @short+sassy how popular truly is consumption of a king cake for Mardis Gras?  We'll have a fat Tuesday dinner with my IL's and I'm questioning if I should figure out how to make one or go buy one to bring and/or if they're not worth it. 
  • banana468 said:
    Hey @short+sassy how popular truly is consumption of a king cake for Mardis Gras?  We'll have a fat Tuesday dinner with my IL's and I'm questioning if I should figure out how to make one or go buy one to bring and/or if they're not worth it. 
    Super, super popular!  You ask pretty much anyone who lives here and it's just not Mardi Gras season without king cakes.  It's also one of the things people look forward to at this time of year.  Most people buy them.  I've never baked one, but I've heard it's fairly easy.

At work, I'm on a floor with about 100 people and there have been multiple departments that have brought one in just about every day for the last month.

A plain king cake is pretty much dough braided with cinnamon sugar and then has icing on top.  It's called a "cake", but it's really more a pastry.  At least down here, you can also buy them filled with all kinds of choices.  Like cream cheese, strawberry, apple...a combo of cream cheese with another flavor.

The other tradition is there is a baby (represents Jesus Christ) hidden inside the king cake.  And, if you get the slice with the baby, you need to bring the next king cake.  It is considered a major side-eye and Mardi Gras foul if you get the baby and try to hide it back in the cake, lol.

In fact, one of the things I'm planning to do today is pick up a "savory" king cake.  It is filled with boudin sausage, instead of being a more typical sweet one.  We bought a typical cream cheese filled one earlier in the week.

Here are some pics related to king cakes:

A king cake baby that is hidden inside (they're often gold colored, but this one isn't)

A funny "take off" on a king cake baby and this pic is included just for sheer and utter cuteness.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Hey @short+sassy how popular truly is consumption of a king cake for Mardis Gras?  We'll have a fat Tuesday dinner with my IL's and I'm questioning if I should figure out how to make one or go buy one to bring and/or if they're not worth it. 
    Super, super popular!  You ask pretty much anyone who lives here and it's just not Mardi Gras season without king cakes.  It's also one of the things people look forward to at this time of year.  Most people buy them.  I've never baked one, but I've heard it's fairly easy.

At work, I'm on a floor with about 100 people and there have been multiple departments that have brought one in just about every day for the last month.

A plain king cake is pretty much dough braided with cinnamon sugar and then has icing on top.  It's called a "cake", but it's really more a pastry.  At least down here, you can also buy them filled with all kinds of choices.  Like cream cheese, strawberry, apple...a combo of cream cheese with another flavor.

The other tradition is there is a baby (represents Jesus Christ) hidden inside the king cake.  And, if you get the slice with the baby, you need to bring the next king cake.  It is considered a major side-eye and Mardi Gras foul if you get the baby and try to hide it back in the cake, lol.

In fact, one of the things I'm planning to do today is pick up a "savory" king cake.  It is filled with boudin sausage, instead of being a more typical sweet one.  We bought a typical cream cheese filled one earlier in the week.

Here are some pics related to king cakes:

A king cake baby that is hidden inside (they're often gold colored, but this one isn't)

A funny "take off" on a king cake baby and this pic is included just for sheer and utter cuteness.

I think I may give one a try!   I can see Chiquita getting excited about who gets the baby.

Also, in two months we stay at a French Quarter themed hotel for Disney so it's two-themes together!