Wedding Woes
Options

How often are you upsetting each other? In public?

Dear Prudence,

On occasion, my partner or I will say or do something minor when we’re out in public that upsets the other person. Neither of us would ever cause a scene in public, but I’m struggling with how to address this. My partner has expressed that his preference is for the offended person to take the offender aside and express their thoughts at the time. While I appreciate the value in not letting anger fester, I don’t think it’s always practical. It’s often difficult to discreetly ask for a conference. And even if you can find a quiet corner or empty room, a public setting isn’t conducive to the thoughtful (and thus, sometimes lengthy) discussion that conflict resolution often requires. I also don’t want to spend a lot of my time at a social engagement arguing (or at the least, having a discussion that may read to others as an argument) because being with a couple that’s fighting is incredibly uncomfortable for all involved. But saying nothing and waiting doesn’t seem right either. I’m bad at hiding my emotions, and he (and others) would be able to tell that something was bothering me. These types of situations don’t come up often, but when they do, I’m never sure how to handle them.

—Pull Him Aside or Pull It Together?

Re: How often are you upsetting each other? In public?

• Options
    How long have you been talking to this person? 

Just say, "Hey, the next time you say something that I find as an issue I don't want to have an argument.   However if you hear a one word, 'Dude?!' from me you know I'm not a fan of your previous statement." 
  • Options
    Minor annoyances between partners happen. They might even happen in public from time to time. But if they are truly minor, they shouldn't have to be addressed immediately, and they shouldn't be causing anger to fester. It's awkward for everyone around you if you have to excuse yourselves off to the side to discuss the annoyance, especially if you get more argumentative than you intended (again, it happens). 

I think you both need to learn to let some things go, because some things should really only require a brief talk once you're home, and some of these "annoyances" probably aren't even worth that. 

• Options
    They need to have a "phrase" for public settings that alerts the other person that they are not happy with what was said and want to discuss it later.  Like, "Let's talk about this later."  Or, "Let's agree to disagree."

My H and I use that last one, even in our own home.  When we start fighting about something stupid that really doesn't matter.  It's actually a conflict resolution technique that we decided on for ourselves, during a calm discussion on how to better handle our disagreements.  It's basically our cue that the other person doesn't want to talk/fight about whatever we arguing over.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm hung up by something "minor" requiring a sometimes lengthy discussion.  I mean there is a difference from "I don't care for my partner's version of spaghetti" to "my partner can't cook", as an example.  The first one, even if it annoys the partner, can be dealt with in a sentence.  "Oh, didn't know that, we'll have to discuss how to resolve that next time we make spaghetti".  The other is insulting the partner and would require a more lengthy discussion.  So what "minor" comments are they making to each other that are actually apparently big problems?  At that case, they are either not minor or they are making mountains out of molehills.

• Options
    Yeah, the other part to me is if you aren't sure how to handle public conflict I think you also need to realize that NOT.EVERYTHING.NEEDS.TO.BE.ADDRESSED.