Pre-wedding Parties
Options

engagement party for long engagement

My SO and I have been engaged since November 2019. We don’t plan to get married until June 2022. My parents have offered to throw us an engagement party. Logistically it would be a lot easier when it is warmer out and we could have a backyard barbecue. The earliest that would probably work would be late May or June. At that point we’ll already have been engaged for 6-7 months. Another added dilema is that if we wait that long I’d prefer to have a solid date booked to have an answer to all those questions I expect to receive at the party. However, our church won’t let us book the wedding further than 2 years prior. We’re looking at late June of 2022 so we wouldn’t be able to book until late June of this year. Is it too late to have an engagement party at that point? Or is it ok to wait since we’re having a 2+ year engagement? Thanks in advance for any advice! 

Re: engagement party for long engagement

• Options
    Really an engagement party is supposed to be closer to when you get engaged.

That said, I can understand especially with the talk of the novel coronavirus now that makes the concept of trying to hold a large gathering something that may want to be postponed.   Because of that I think a party in the summer could be OK.  What I would recommend:

-Anyone invited to the party needs to be a wedding guest.
    -Book the wedding and reception by that point
    -Keep the guest list intimate and family and very close friends.