Wedding Etiquette Forum

Shipped Gifts

I am not finding anything helpful online. I want to ensure I acknowledge those who shipped their gift, I appreciate the ease of the process as much as the gift itself. I always ship my gifts and at showers have felt a little awkward when it appears I didn't bring a gift. What is the best way to go about doing this? 

Re: Shipped Gifts

• I am not finding anything helpful online. I want to ensure I acknowledge those who shipped their gift, I appreciate the ease of the process as much as the gift itself. I always ship my gifts and at showers have felt a little awkward when it appears I didn't bring a gift. What is the best way to go about doing this? 
    I had a lot of gifts shipped ahead of my shower. Most people who attended in person brought a card so when I opened that I also said thank you for whatever they had sent via mail. 
  • I don't quite understand the question. Are you talking specifically about shipped shower gifts (I've only attended one shower where gifts were shipped, but they all were) or all shipped gifts. I agree if a person ships a gift and brings a card, when you open the card thank them while mentioning the gift. Of course, you should always write a thank you note even if you say thank you at the shower. If they didn't bring a card, don't say anything but don't forget to write the note.
  • If someone ships a gift, you should promptly send a thank you note, regardless of whether it's a shower or wedding gift. If it's a shower gift and the person comes to the shower, you could just walk up to them and thank them again. Are you concerned that rude people will assume that someone didn't give a gift? (Which is of course none of their business). 
  • The issue is one of my aunts wants to ensure that people know she indeed gave me a gift, but to publicly thank her and not all the others would be strange. I send thank you notes the same day I receive any gifts shipped to me before the shower. My mother thinks it is to impersonal to say "thank you for all of you who sent your gift before the shower". I think it would be strange to start listing everyone and each thing they sent. I do not want to offend or hurt anyone's feelings, I just want to do this is the most appreciative and graceful way possible. Thank you for all the feedback. 
  • On amazon and bed bath and beyond they have the option to ship it directly to the couple if you so chose to set that feature up. I did set that feature up as it is super convenient. 
  • Are you talking to yourself?  I find the request your aunt is making to be very self absorbed.  If she shipped a gift, and is looking for public acknowledgement at the shower, she can gift you something small that corresponds to it to bring to the shower.  As you open that, you can comment on how well it will coordinate with the ______ that she shipped to you.
    Your only obligation is to thank your aunt.  You are not obliged to announce to guests what gifts were shipped.  If your aunt is attending the shower, she can do her own announcements with guests if that is so important.
  • MobKaz said:
    Are you talking to yourself?  I find the request your aunt is making to be very self absorbed.  If she shipped a gift, and is looking for public acknowledgement at the shower, she can gift you something small that corresponds to it to bring to the shower.  As you open that, you can comment on how well it will coordinate with the ______ that she shipped to you.
    Your only obligation is to thank your aunt.  You are not obliged to announce to guests what gifts were shipped.  If your aunt is attending the shower, she can do her own announcements with guests if that is so important.
    I think they were replaying, not quoting.