Wedding Woes
Options

Friday, the 13th

Last night I was told of some major changes in our office, and I’m not to sure what they’re going to do with my department. They could either bring someone back that moved up and hates her new position or have me take it on alone (I want be alone so I can have some justified OT).

Everyone in our company is working from home starting Monday, and I have images of me eating healthy, working out (home gym), finally getting things organized, etc etc... but in reality - I’ll probably watch horror movies.  All the horror movies.

Re: Friday, the 13th

• Options
    Work was absolutely insane yesterday. People are super freaked out. I’m exhausted. I foresee a lot of OT in the future. I’m starting to feel a little apprehensive about everything going on. And I’m someone who’s been pretty level headed about this whole thing. Our response as a country has just been beyond abysmal. I am worried about my parents, especially my mom who has a few autoimmune conditions and who keeps going in and out of remission. I’m going to call her tonight and recommend she avoid church for a few weeks. 

In other news it’s raining a bunch, which is a big deal for Southern California. Our parking lot at work flooded pretty badly yesterday. Luckily I was in a different area but one of my coworkers had her car nearly float away with the water up to the door. 

• Options
    This has been an absolutely insane week. 

Starting Monday, half of our office employees are working from home for 2 weeks. Then the next group will WFH the two weeks after that. Unfortunately I'm considered an essential employee and will need to be in the office regardless. 

We've also segregated office staff and warehouse/drivers. No outside people in the building. All meetings canceled. Reviews, bonuses and raises suspended. We're bracing for a huge financial impact. 

I'm hoping that at 5pm, I have a White Claw in hand. 
  • Options
    All of the school districts around us have closed until after spring break (April 5th I think). I'm not really changing my routine a lot. I will probably go to the gym during less peak times. Neither H nor I are at risk so we are just doing practical hygiene stuff. Our church is still holding service on Sunday (as of now) but we are a small church. The elderly and sick are being told to stay home. Still waiting to see if DD and family will join us on vacation. We are driving so will take Lysol wipes to wipe down toilet seats etc. There haven't been any cases in our immediate area but have been 2, I think, on the other side of town (roughly 40-45 minutes away. I'm not panicked yet.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2020
    Things are changing so rapidly and we're currently waiting for our director to provide another update on what we're doing since so many places/events are getting shut down.  I'm also frustrated with people who are traveling outside the next 30 days and are mad that we're asking them to wait.  But this happens every time there's an event/disaster.   

DefConn's out of school.  We're getting packet work starting Monday.   He is only out a week and a day if they go back after break on April 6th, but I'm prepared for it to be extended.  

We can work OT, and I may work some this weekend.  Probably on Sunday.  We went to the store last night and it was fucking zoo.  Someone posted on our local page that they went to Walmart at 6:15 this morning and they said they never slowed down over night.  We have a secondary list of stuff we forgot, I may try to go out late into the evening.  But it is Friday, so all bets are off.  I'm hoping after I make that last run that we can be done running out for awhile. 

We did buy more alcohol and we have a pretty full liquor cabinet.  I told DH last night that if we get through to his aunt's homemade hooch in the freezer that we're fuuuuccckkeeedddd. 
  • Options

I also have figured out work from home; I ate lunch while muted on a call so I can take a nap during actual lunch. 
    HELLZ yes!  WAH office naps are the shit. 
  • Options
  • Options
    We are all on work from home now. I went in to grab some stuff and did some grocery shopping on the way home. We don't necessarily need stuff but with how bare shelves have been I wanted to grab some extra stuff just in case daycare closes. B is so limited in the food he will eat I needed bread for PBJ and milk for cereal. Fingers crossed daycare doesn't close. 

I ordered a portable monitor that will connect to my laptop to give me 2 screens. I hope it works well because I really need 2 for some of the work I do, I don't think I could ever go back to just 1 screen long term. 
  • Options
    Our office announced 30 days WFH for most of us late yesterday. H's office did the same Weds. Most of the schools here are out until further notice. (But doing online school; I'm not sure how that works.) I went to the grocery store last night, mostly because I still haven't replenished everything from the move. It was next level. I've been through Atlanta snow storms (we go insane) and several south Florida hurricanes, but have never seen anything like this before.

The good news was that everyone was in pretty good spirits. The woman behind me in line left her partner to hold the cart and jump in to start helping people bag to get the line moving faster. People were helping each other find things and letting people with fewer items jump the line. I read an article this morning about a Sam's club that wasn't in such good spirits; someone got wheeled out on a stretcher after a fight. 

Our plans got cancelled this weekend (soccer game), so we're going to take advantage of the empty weekend to try to finish up unpacking and setting up the new house. We'll probably still try to do one dinner out just to get out. I've got to say, if this had to happen, the timing couldn't have been better for me personally. 
  • Options
    I'm so sleepy today, but it was worth it.  Building a new friendship from the ashes of this community dumpster fire.  But I'm ready for this weekend.

I'm not saying this melodramatically: my work will never allow us to WFH, even if someone were to get sick.  I have no idea what they're going to do, but we just had a positive CV dx announced yesterday, so it's in my city.  I don't know what it is about law offices that makes them lag 20-30 years behind everything when it comes to HR, but they do.  I could be in the office 1 day a week, realistically, and do 90% of my work from home.  

K's roller derby game just cancelled.  The colleges have gone to online only classes, some of them through the end of April.  You guys, I understand why and I'll support it, but if they cancel the Alanis Morisette/Garbage concert, I'm going to bawl my 90s loving eyes out.  And K is scared that Cher is going to get cancelled, it's in April.  I guess we're just holding on for the ride.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I also have figured out work from home; I ate lunch while muted on a call so I can take a nap during actual lunch. 
    HELLZ yes!  WAH office naps are the shit. 
    WFH + Pregnancy = Excellent napping. 
  • Options
    I feel you @VarunaTT my old job would have never let us work from home even though our jobs were totally able to be done from home. 

Strangely enough my DH work usually tells people to work from home with the threat of 2 snowflakes and yet thus far nothing for this even though it is a huge place. 
  • Options
    My firm had a stress test of our Citrix system to see how we can handle all working from home.  I was told it was a success, but they only had the lawyers on for it and apparently a few were still bumped offline.  The support staff doesn't even have Citrix access at the moment, so no idea what would happen when they get added on as well.  There are people that can work, just with email access, but they took away our non-Citrix email access.  So we shall see. 

I'm prepared to be home for 2+ weeks.  I did a Wegmans run Wednesday, a BJs run last night and a Target run on lunch today.  I also got more beer today!  If I need it - I have it!  

I checked in with my mom today and they are doing fine.  I told her if she needs something let me know, I will go get it and leave it on their back porch if I have to.

We are still planning to go to AC for our anniversary, but will probably stick to our room except for dinners out.  We are having our anniversary dinner at Morton's, since I got a really nice gift card to there for my 15 year work anniversary.
  • Options
    They are shutting down all the bars and nightclubs. Restaurants are still tbd but I think likely to follow suit. All teams, clubs, and activities for those under 18 have been shut down. I don't even know what else is happening because I am too busy pouting about possibly loosing out on my girls night next week. :(
  • Options
    Everything's closing or being canceled. I'm supposed to go out tonight with friends but we might have to cancel it. I did have to suspend for the time being a synagogue group that I coordinate, and I was supposed to have a major role in the services this weekend that I'd been rehearsing for over a month. Not happening.

I can only sigh and wish it weren't necessary, but I know damn well that it is and I'd much rather everyone in my life be safe than run any risks.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    We are all on work from home now. I went in to grab some stuff and did some grocery shopping on the way home. We don't necessarily need stuff but with how bare shelves have been I wanted to grab some extra stuff just in case daycare closes. B is so limited in the food he will eat I needed bread for PBJ and milk for cereal. Fingers crossed daycare doesn't close. 

I ordered a portable monitor that will connect to my laptop to give me 2 screens. I hope it works well because I really need 2 for some of the work I do, I don't think I could ever go back to just 1 screen long term. 
    I am with you there!  I used to use one screen, and now I can't fathom how I ever managed.

• Options
    kvruns said:

What kind did you buy? Our mandatory WFH was extended to all next week and I need a better setup here. 
  • Options
    I am watching the press conference right now and I'm so angry I'm holding back tears.

This woman just stood up there and talked about how she was part of the "medical response team" for HIV/AIDS in the 80s, (widely regarded as one of the most mishandled responses ever, on top of a terrifying smear on our history), and our response to the coronovirus has been so much better.  Well fvck, I wasn't sure it could get worse that the AIDS crisis in the 80s, that's a pretty low goddamn bar to clear.  Really inspiring some confidence here.
  • Options
    Hubby is off for three weeks now as a teacher, since their March Break has been "extended".  He doesn't if it means he will be in the classroom teaching via video or what is happening yet.  Hopefully they get things sorted out so he knows what is going on.
    My industry seems unaffected by all the craziness so far ... it will be interesting to see if that changes.  
    No weekend plans for me.  Going to see MIL tomorrow - we'll see if I get to hear about that funeral she wanted me to take her to.  She never ended up calling me to make arrangements, so I just didn't ask and didn't go. Which worked out because I ended up having an event planning meeting that day and probably wouldn't have made it anyways ...  

• Options
    @charlotte989875 I got this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMKOVMO/

I don't get it until Sunday but I hope it will work 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That's so cute @short+sassy Ugh sorry about work @levioosa it's always the health care field and first responders who get run ragged...thank you for all you do

42 teachers and about half of the student body weren't at my school today.  I covered classes up the wazoo without a break and had the pleasure of trying to buy corned beef and buttermilk (for soda bread) as a drained and hungry person.  Couldn't get either.  Might try tomorrow at 6am when the stores open, might not.  St. Patrick's Day dinner might not happen this year.  I'm popping one of my emergency bottles of pinot grigio open...might not even wait for the kids to go to sleep.
  • Options
    I am so sick and tired of people on FB claiming this is just the flu and it is all politics hyping everything. No folks, my daughter works in the healthcare industry ,and it is real. We don't need to panic and buy everything of store shelves but this serious. I need to be blocking/unfriending some people. One woman (a friend of a friend) said it was no worse than the flu and more people die from rabies than COVID-19. WTF!