Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

Holy Thursday.  Weird to not be going to mass later. 
Our governor kept our schools open through the spring break (which was supposed to be from today - 4/17) but each district is interpreting that differently.  My kids' teachers all canceled their web sessions today, tomorrow and Monday and I'm thankful.  My district is using this next week to let students catch up on previously assigned work these last few weeks.  I'm reaching out to students and their families to make sure they received it (they all have) and to remind them of their teachers' availablity in chat and classroom.  How's everyone else?

Re: Thursday

• Options
    Thinking about @mrsconn23.  She didn't check in yesterday.   My thoughts and prayers go out to her.

We are hanging in there.   I ordered a crucifix to hang over the TV.  Because that's where church is for Easter on Sunday.

Tonight or tomorrow DH and I need to stuff Easter eggs so we can do a hunt at the house.   Every year the kids have one at DH's aunt and uncles house and there's always one gold egg with cash.   The eggs I bought come with several gold ones so I think we need to give the kids some loot in addition to candy.   I ordered GOOD chocolate from a CT chocolatier Munson's so instead of Palmer eggs (gross!)  they're getting those plus pectin jelly beans. 

My Omaha steaks order is super delayed and I'm not upset.   I get it.   They have logistical issues as any company does right now.  So I ordered a leg of lamb from a local farm plus a pound of potatoes and will add some frozen veggies to be our Easter dinner.   I am trying to coordinate a family Zoom hour too. 
  • Options
    We're just so tired lately. My alarm goes off at 7am, but we've been struggling to get out of bed by 8am - to the point we have to force ourselves out when I say "it's 8"

I slept better last night but still tired.

Friend of mine - who works in fast food, so therefore essential services - likely has it. He got the swab, and has a hard time breathing with other issues. Unfortunately his boyfriend is really high risk {diabetic - pill and insulin, and likely needs kidney transplant in a few years} so he's quaratined away from him and the dogs.

I have a sore throat, but I have serious nasal drip that's causing it. It's hard not to symptom-spot {like when trying to get pregnant lmao} but I just remind myself that it is allergy season and even though I'm not out often, I still get issues.

I'll be drinking warm water later to help clear it up.

What's everyone doing for Easter?
    I'll be dropping off a gift for my mum tomorrow and picking up BabyKitten's gift.
    Saturday night the Easter bunny comes. So Sunday morning will be interesting. I have to fix her basket still, and we got some Mickey Mouse goldfish that I'll put in some fun and shiney eggs I got at Walmart awhile ago.

I think we'll bake some treats too.
  • Options
    Did anyone watch the Modern Family finale last night? I teared up multiple times! 

We got in an early hike this morning before the rain started. We're supposed to get severe storms today. 

Work is driving me crazy. I'm happy to still have a job. But damn, it's been a nightmare this week. 

No plans for Easter. Will be me, H and BIL. I'm going to make my usual deviled eggs, and I'll have mimosas too. As for cooking, we'll have to see what the grocery store. I do have a lot of chicken I can thaw. 
  • Options
    Oh @mrsconn23 I’m so sorry you’re going through all of this. I’m glad you could go over and see them. Has your sister been isolating so she can do the same?
  • Options
    Had my Dr apt this morning and I’ve developed pregnancy and exercise induced asthma, which normally would be a little unnerving is now super concerning and I’m trying not to panic. But seeing my normal very even keeled, calm Dr be concerned didnt really help. We’ve been distancing and will continue to do so but I’ve never had breathing issues before so this feels terrifying. She ordered an inhaler and said I can keep running (which is good because it’s the only thing that makes me feel like myself) but to closely monitor my symptoms. 

• Options
    Oh @mrsconn23 I’m so sorry you’re going through all of this. I’m glad you could go over and see them. Has your sister been isolating so she can do the same?
    My sisters and I have all been isolating as much as we can.  My older sister has had to go to work on and off.   My younger sister has made us all masks.  Even the kiddos.  Mom said she doesn't want the kids to see her like this, but the older grandsons would struggle if they never see her again and don't get to say goodbye.  
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2020
    @MissKittyDanger, there are a few restaurants that have good deals for a Family pick-up bundle for Easter dinner.  My H and I are debating picking up one of those.  Other than that, we're not doing anything.  One of the bundles is perfect for us with all the courses, EXCEPT the main dish, lol.  But that's a pretty big exception!  It's an awesome rotisierrie restaurant, but the main dish for their Easter bundle is rotisierried lamb.  I like lamb in "gyro meat" form, lol.  And I can eat it prepared other ways, but it's one of my least favorite meats.

I hope your friend is okay.  I do not envy people that work with the public right now. 

@climbingwife, I did not see the Modern Family finale last night, but my H and I really like that show and I have it taped.  We're actually a few episodes behind.  I like your idea of deviled eggs and mimosas for Easter.  I might steal it, lol.

I'm only working until noon today.  I am extra tired this morning and will probably take a nap after that, lol.  My big goal for the day is to get my 2019 taxes done and then finish my application for an SBA loan, the economic disaster one (EIDL) that is related to the pandemic.  It feels so arduous.  I would much rather be working than deal with all that, lol.  But it must be done and I must stop procrastinating with it.

Edited to add:

@mrsconn23, continued thoughts and prayers to your family

@charlotte989875, I'm so sorry to hear there's been a complication with your pregnancy.  I hope it ends up being minor and easy to deal with.  And that is extra scary it involves breathing issues.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 - I'm thinking of you guys, i'm so sorry you have to go through this, especially with everything going on right now
    @charlotte989875 - that has to be so scary, hoping everything stays manageable and you continue to feel ok
    @MissKittyDanger I hope you feel better soon

I hadn't even thought about doing anything special for Easter dinner, but now that it's on my mind I will probably do a pork roast or see if there are any good deals to order from local places. @short+sassy i'm with you on the lamb - definitely not my favorite meat. The babe is almost 4 months so we got a couple cute finger puppets and an easter book to put in a basket for him.  At the moment, if he can't grab and put it in his mouth he is not interested, lol.  Probably will watch an Easter service from my hometown church because the music will be really good!

Work is work.  This is the last quiet week before our busy part of the quarter so I've honestly not done a lot.  We've never done our quarterly work from home and I think it will be a nightmare so I'm expecting long hours and lots of after-baby's-bedtime work.  My boss finally added me to a project team that i've been asking to be part of for months (it's a project team for a topic that i have been managing all the external communication for and I wasn't included.  Makes no sense)  Hopefully I can be a good value add and people take me seriously even though i was added halfway through. 

Anyone have recommendations for cleaning/refinishing wood furniture that was in a smokers house?  Definitely worth the time to clean and refurbish, but the bedroom furniture we picked up smells terrible still.  

Hope everyone has a good Easter/Passover!

• Options
    @mrsconn23 I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. It would be awful any time, but now is the absolute worst. 

The puppy loves to chase tennis balls, but she has the attention span of a puppy. So she'll frequently go chase a ball in the woody area in our back yard, but drop the ball to go chase after a squirrel or bird. So now I take her out there without a ball and let her find one to chase. I'm thinking of hiding a bunch of balls and calling it a puppy easter egg hunt.

Other than that, not much for easter. Fresh Market is doing these big prepared meal deals. I'm thinking of doing something like that and just day drinking. I guess I need to get myself in gear and order today to have it delivered in time. We've got a couple of different family chats (different groups of family) scheduled through the day, so I don't want to do a meal that I really need to focus on cooking.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    Ugh I'm so sorry with all your family is going through @mrsconn23
    That's scary @charlotte989875 although I think it's great that you're still running
    @climbingwife I haven't watched MoFy for a few seasons (either stopped after season 6 or 7, with occasional checkins from time to time since) but I'd def love to watch all that I missed.  Maybe they'll all be on Netflix someday?  It is a great show, and eleven seasons is impressive.

We're still going to get dressed up on Easter and we may drive to our church and leave little flowers at all the saint statues in the outdoor garden.  We may not, if other parishioners have the same idea.  We'll watch mass on tv like we've been doing all Lent.  The easter bunny will leave baskets.  Easter breakfast will be croissants (I keep Williams-Sonoma frozen croissants on hand for holidays, you just let them thaw overnight and bake in the morning), bacon and a quiche.  H and i will set up on egg hunt for the kids in the yard.  The last few years I've hosted my parents and siblings for dinner and the menu was prime rib, twice-baked potatoes, ham, penne all vodka, roasted asparagus, roasted carrots and a salad.  Since it's just the five of us I'm scaling it down to just the ham, potatoes and asparagus.  It's a bummer but hoping it'll still feel special for the kids. 
  • Options
    Yesterday was rough. The furloughs are going to be worse than we thought. I probably will be out of a job in 2 weeks, 4 if I’m lucky. I got home and immediately hoovered down a few beers. Then the director called my manager at ten pm to yell about stuff we were specifically instructed to do, so I was getting texts about that too. I’m ready for the end of the week. I bought all of the supplies for a Cadillac margarita last week and I plan on making about ten of them. 

@mrsconn23 I’m so sorry. All of the hugs. 

@charlotte989875 I’m sorry for the bad news. Has the inhaler helped before exercise now that you have it?

• Options
    I'm so sorry @levioosa.   
  • Options
    That sucks @levioosa.  I'm so sorry.  
  • Options
    ugh @levioosa that is awful, i'm sorry
  • Options
    @levioosa That sucks - the end of the week probably can't come soon enough for you!  Are you at least off on Friday, or do you have to suffer through another day?  I hope that you get lucky and get the four weeks.

@mrsconn23 So sorry for what you and your family are going through.  

@charlotte989875 That sucks about the asthma!  Will it get better as time goes on?  The plus side of the social distancing is that there is a bit less pollution in the air, so maybe that will help when the temperature gets warm and we have less "smog days" or whatever they call them.  

• Options
    @levioosa, I'm so sorry to hear your own job is going to be affected also!

One of my "side" jobs at my work..."side" because it's not related to anything else I do...is entering timesheet data.  People usually drop them off at my cube, but this last pay period needed to be e-mailed to me.  That turned into a surprising amount of "herding cats" as I've scrambled to track down timesheets I'm missing, now that almost everyone...including me...is WFH.

Long story short, I thought things were fairly solid at my workplace.  Though there was a whiff of things starting to slow down in some departments.  Then, bam, in all my timesheets scrambling.  I discovered that two people are "no longer with the company".  A bit disconcerting (sigh).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My trip to Europe is now officially cancelled, and I'm working on getting money back from a few places.  Some of our booked accommodations are digging their heels in.  I guess they are in countries where the borders aren't closed to non-essential travel so they aren't quite understanding that we aren't cancelling on a whim, we literally have been told by the government not to travel.

In lieu of that, because I really need something to look forward to, I started planning a trip for when COVID-19  is a thing of the past and hubby and I can travel, but he completely squashed that.  My apologies if this insults the Americans here, but he is refusing to visit the States for at least a year after all this chaos.  He seems to be viewing everywhere by Canada as a disease ridden wasteland - I'm assuming that is his anxiety acting on.  My thoughts were a road trip through Ohio, but he just isn't interested.  Which means that he is going to not like it if I go anywhere for an entire year, regardless of how the endgame of the virus shapes up.  And he didn't want to go on vacation with me last year because reasons.  Sigh.

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    My trip to Europe is now officially cancelled, and I'm working on getting money back from a few places.  Some of our booked accommodations are digging their heels in.  I guess they are in countries where the borders aren't closed to non-essential travel so they aren't quite understanding that we aren't cancelling on a whim, we literally have been told by the government not to travel.

In lieu of that, because I really need something to look forward to, I started planning a trip for when COVID-19  is a thing of the past and hubby and I can travel, but he completely squashed that.  My apologies if this insults the Americans here, but he is refusing to visit the States for at least a year after all this chaos.  He seems to be viewing everywhere by Canada as a disease ridden wasteland - I'm assuming that is his anxiety acting on.  My thoughts were a road trip through Ohio, but he just isn't interested.  Which means that he is going to not like it if I go anywhere for an entire year, regardless of how the endgame of the virus shapes up.  And he didn't want to go on vacation with me last year because reasons.  Sigh.
    Meh - no apologies needed to me!  

There's so much unknown now.   On one hand cabin fever makes you want to get out.   On the other hand, if you don't leave you can't get sick.   It's hard!

Can you look into the countries that aren't giving $ back?  On another board a person commented that she wasn't getting $ back from a guy in the Florida Keys - an area that is CLOSED to anyone who isn't already there!  But the guy gave a sob story because this is screwing him over financially.  Ultimately her cc got after them. 

If you can't talk to them can you call your CC? 
  • Options
    Damn @levioosa that all sucks. I’m surprised you’re experiencing layoffs in healthcare now given, well everything. 
  • Options

@charlotte989875 I’m sorry for the bad news. Has the inhaler helped before exercise now that you have it?

@charlotte989875 That sucks about the asthma!  Will it get better as time goes on?  The plus side of the social distancing is that there is a bit less pollution in the air, so maybe that will help when the temperature gets warm and we have less "smog days" or whatever they call them.  
    Thanks everyone!! It definitely sucks and is pretty scary. I’m just glad she hasn’t told me to stop running. 

@levioosa I’ve never had an inhaler before, she just sent in the Rx today so H will pick it up tonight. I’ve never needed anything before. 

@kerbohl She thinks that it should get better after the baby is born. I have developed pretty bad allergies to something during pregnancy and she thinks that these could be causing the asthma now as well. 

• Options
    drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2020
    The isolation is starting to get to me (I'm in the PNW so I have been home for about a month) but at least SO and I are in a good place and are enjoying each other's company instead of wanting to kill each other.  I most likely won't have a job much longer.  And my brioche was an epic failure (we are talking so nasty, it tasted like it came from Flying Apron Bakery, trust me, that is really bad).

Today I shall battle my sad by making sangria and Greek chicken and potatoes.  

• Options
    Hugs for everyone.
    These are rough times :( Trudeau just announced that nothing will be back to "normal" until a vax is out. Which we all basically knew but didn't know per say.

Sucks hearing it. I feel like "Cats" will be rescheduled again {currently set for Aug 1st}

We've basically accepted that we'll do a joint bday for M and BabyKitten since mid-summer will be when we can have people over.
    M isn't a bday dude, but he turns 30 in July so I wanna be sure we do something for him. He's said many times he doesn't mind sharing a party with his daughter lol I will make sure he gets some spotlight ;)

Still unsure about moving but still going forward with a bunch of cleaning/decluttering. This weekend we plan on getting more basement dealt with, maybe boxing up some stuff.
  • Options
    MrsConn - I'm sorry and sending hugs.  Your mom and family is in my prayers.

Levioosa - I'm sorry - hang in there.

Charlotte - I hope your remaining pregnancy is uneventful and this asthma diagnosis doesn't impact you.

Things are going ok here.  I had purchased Easter basket goodies almost as soon as Target had them out, in case we were still home.  Unfortunately, I guessed correctly.  We will be doing Zoom brunch with MIL.  Maybe Zoom for my family too, but haven't asked if anyone would be interested yet.

On Saturday, we had a Zoom virtual happy hour with some friends.  I also found an online version of CAH, so we played that too.  It was nice to just chat, relax and laugh with each other.  

Last night my yoga teacher at work started doing a Zoom class and it was really great to get back to yoga.

Sending love and light to all who needs it!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your bad news, @mrsconn23, @charlotte989875, @leviosaa:'( 
    Hugs and hopes that things improve for each.

And for all of us.

Last night was the first night of Passover. Here in Houston several Jewish food businesses were selling prepared dinners, and I'd ordered one in advance but they took the order wrong and I almost didn't get it in time.

But at least I was able to have a Zoom seder with my synagogue and then two Zoom meetings after that.

Happy Passover to those observing it.
  • Options
    @banana468 I booked through a website, so when the accomodation say they wouldn't give the money back, I emailed the website and cited the fact that Airbnb is giving travel credit or giving money back, so I would accept the same from them. We'll see if they try to save face by at the very least matching their competitor's response.

• Options
    kvruns said:
    Checking in on @mrsconn23 and @ILoveBeachMusic did you guys have any storm damage from last night? 

The bad stuff seemed to skirt right around us. I saw posts about damage and hail less than a mile from us in different directions but nothing here. 
    Thanks for checking @kvruns!  We didn't have any damage, thankfully. However, if we hadn't had a new roof put on last fall we would be in a heap of trouble. We didn't even loose power but some of my friends did.

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited April 2020
    Damn @levioosa that all sucks. I’m surprised you’re experiencing layoffs in healthcare now given, well everything. 
    I am kinda shocked too, actually. @levioosa do you work with the public?  Covid patients? 

@mrsconn23, so sorry you even have to think about these things during these times :( 
    @charlotte989875, I never heard of pregnancy induced asthma. So impressed you’re still running!  I had asthma growing up, and outgrew it, and I NEVER got the inhaler/inhale thing right. I think my parents were happy with that.  Man, if she can’t work an inhaler, she’ll never grow up smoking.  And they were right.  I never smoked.  Tried.  To be “cool”. But could never inhale properly. 
    @short+sassy, sucky way to find out about layoffs!
    @kerbohl, I get it about the travel.  The numbers in the states are scary.  I follow a lot of Canadian’s and Canadian type pages on FB, and they’re blown away by the numbers - just keep in mind about the per capita. 327.2 million in the U.S. to the 37.6 million in Canada.  Now, that doesn’t say much for China’s 1.38 billion and How the U.S. has already surpassed those cases! 

• Options
    @CharmedPam I work in a clinic. We are doing some screening but not a lot. Our patient load has dropped off considerably. People are scared to come in plus we’re trying to discourage non-essential appointments. If I get laid off I probably could find a job in the hospital. But I don’t want to do that. I have a shit immune system with some pre-existing conditions that immunocompromise me. Everyone is reusing or going without PPE. I feel torn. But I also feel like it’s truly personally dangerous for me to go back to the hospital. I’m just sick about all of it.