Wedding Woes
Options

Church Not Available

My fiance and I were originally planning our wedding for April 2021, but decided to move it up to October 2020. When we got engaged my fiance wanted to get married on our anniversary (October 10th). I called my priest today and he said that 10/10/2020 is booked for another wedding. He suggested trying Friday night instead of Saturday, but that date is SO important to us! I have looked into seeing if another weekend near the 10th could hold some significance, but not nearly as much. Also, this church and this priest are extremely important because my fiance and I both went through RCIA and were confirmed into the Catholic Church at this specific church and wanted the same priest that confirmed us to marry us. Now I don't know what to do about finding a wedding date! It's only six months away and I can't move on with planning until we have a date set.

Re: Church Not Available

• Options
    My fiance and I were originally planning our wedding for April 2021, but decided to move it up to October 2020. When we got engaged my fiance wanted to get married on our anniversary (October 10th). I called my priest today and he said that 10/10/2020 is booked for another wedding. He suggested trying Friday night instead of Saturday, but that date is SO important to us! I have looked into seeing if another weekend near the 10th could hold some significance, but not nearly as much. Also, this church and this priest are extremely important because my fiance and I both went through RCIA and were confirmed into the Catholic Church at this specific church and wanted the same priest that confirmed us to marry us. Now I don't know what to do about finding a wedding date! It's only six months away and I can't move on with planning until we have a date set.
    You have to pick your priorities. What is more important, the date or the church/priest? 
    Also, what do your VIPs think of the date? Will they be able to attend? 
    Why not go back to your original date?
  • Options
    I wouldn't change the priest or church, after going through all that prep, for a date. Take an available date and have two anniversaries. 

• Options
    Honestly, I'd plan the wedding around when you can get married and not when you want to.  Talk to the priest and figure out what options you have. 

Remember, your wedding anniversary will already be important because it's the day you got married.  You don't need to find a way to make your plans back into a date that's close

• Options
    Honestly, there will be more dates in your lives that will become even more important as you move forward as a couple and family unit.  To be honest, with so many couples having to reinvent their current wedding plans because of this current health crisis, churches and venues will become even harder to book than ever!  The significance you should focus on is obtaining the sacrament you want, in the church you hold dear, with the priest that knows you both.
  • Options
    You need to decide whether the date or the church and priest is more important to you. Your wedding anniversary will be a special day in and of itself, regardless of any other significance that date does or doesn't have already. 
  • Options
    The October 10 anniversary seems very important now, but it will pale in comparison to your actual wedding anniversary. Pick an available date and do it quickly before the slots are all taken.

I don't even remember the date of our relationship anniversary, only our wedding anniversary. That's how little these things will matter to you in a few years.
  • Options
    Which is more important? A date on a calendar or the church/priest that you want to marry you? You can't have both.

Planning around a date on a calendar is really pretty silly. Pick the date that works for you, your family and your vendors. No one cares that it looks cool on a calendar. 
  • Options
    Seconding what everyone else is saying about needing to choose your priorities. Remember that right now Fall 2020 and Winter and Spring 2021 dates are going to go even more quickly (for all vendors) than they would otherwise due to many brides like myself having to reschedule our weddings that were scheduled for this Spring and Summer. Not to mention that 6-months can be a quick turnaround on wedding especially when you can't get as much done during this time when we're all shut down. We don't know when things like bridal salons or catering companies will be able to open again, and that may put extra pressure on you during your planning period.
  • Options
    Even without the implications of covid 19 getting the specific date you want only 6 months out would be difficult in my experience, but add on all the events that are rescheduled I’m surprised they even have the Friday of that weekend available. Even if you wanted a different church and priest it might be difficult to find an opening on that day. 

I agree with everyone else, whatever day you do get married will have significance because it will be your wedding day!