Vow Renewals
Options

Vow Renewal / Ceremony because original plans cancelled due to COVID crisis?

Like many couples, we are currently in the tough situation of trying to determine a plan B (or C or D) given all of the unknowns of the COVID situation and when the world will safely reopen. Our reception hall just called us today not confident that they will be able to hold our reception on June 19, 2020.

With 5 other sets of friends and family scheduled to get married this year through the Fall, there aren't a lot of days open to try to find a new venue and reschedule, regardless of the unknowns related to quarantine if rescheduling in 2020 is even an option. For anyone in this situation, it's frustrating that we may have to cancel our celebration for something totally out of our control, but will do so for the health & safety of our loved ones

I have been waiting 40 years for this day, and we hoped to be married before starting a family, (kind of running out of time to wait lol).  Because of this, we have considered not postponing a whole other year, and legally getting married on June 19 as planned. Yes, the most important part is marrying our best friend, still, it hurts to have to miss out on celebrating with our friends and family, and it feels a little like that opportunity was taken from us, and everyone in a similar situation this year.

Generally 1 year seems to soon to make a big deal about a vow renewal, but given the situation, looking for advice on legally getting married June 19, 2020 and then postponing the full celebration and/or ceremony to a vow renewal on June 19 2021 to celebrate with family and friends then? Crushed and not sure what else to do??

Re: Vow Renewal / Ceremony because original plans cancelled due to COVID crisis?

• Options
    I am an outlier here because I'm not a fan of vow renewals in general, but yes, a vow renewal a year later sounds too soon. Get married on the date you want, then throw a big anniversary party a year later. If you want to wear your dress again (and I completely understand why brides will want to do this in the era of Covid-19!), do it, but make it clear that you're having an anniversary party, not a wedding.
  • Options
    I'm now in the opinion of whatever you do is fine if you're honest.

If you want to renew vows or do a mock exchange (not making a mock of but mock as in 'mock trial') then go for it.   If you want to just throw a party then go for it.   Do what works because right now there's so much unknown that if you actually can get a marriage license and get married, that may be your best plan rather than waiting. 
  • Options
    I'm normally with you that a vow renewal at your first anniversary is a little early, but I wouldn't side eye one in these circumstances. It's not like you could have waited and gotten married in July. 

I do take offense to the notion that couples without children aren't a family or that you can't be a family if you aren't legally married. You become a family when you commit to each other and begin spending your lives together.

Hopefully getting legally married in June is still an option. I'm seeing people are having a hard time getting licenses right now with all the courts closed, plus finding an officiant can be challenging. Hopefully we'll be on the other side by June, that's still not certain. 
  • Options
    Where are you located and did you find a venue?