Wedding Woes
Options

Yes, you suck it up and buy things you need. Like an adult.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited April 2020 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,

I am an unfortunate member of the class of 2020. COVID-19 has taken over the end of my senior year of college, including graduation. It is also becoming increasingly likely that I will have to postpone my graduation party. I understand why, and I’m OK with that, but my problem is with the gifts that I was going to ask for. I had been making a kind of housewarming registry because my job (which I am extremely grateful to still have in the midst of all this) will require me to move out into my first apartment at the beginning of June. I have some of the bare-minimum things that I would need to function (think plates and silverware), but there are a lot of other things that I was counting on getting from the registry to make sure I had everything I would need. Is it wrong for me to send out the registry around my graduation date anyway? Should I just wait until we can safely have the party? Or should I just suck it up and buy the things I’ll need once I can afford to?

—Graduation Present Blowout

Re: Yes, you suck it up and buy things you need. Like an adult.

• Options
    This is some entitled bullshit. YES, it's wrong to send out registry info for your graduation party. Yes, you suck it up and buy whatever you can afford, because that's what adults do. And if that means one chair and one table, that's what you do. That's what 99% of first apartments look like.  Welcome to life. 
    Oh sweet zombie jeebus this. 

A registry for your college graduation is entirely inappropriate especially if you were going to throw this party for yourself.   Start looking at what you need and start to buy those things for yourself.  The good news is that anything you can sterilze/put in the dishwasher is great if found at a thrift store if any are open.  Know that you're a grown up and grown ups buy their own things.

Make the list should anyone ask and realize that you aren't owed anything now or ever.
  • Options
    It would always have been wrong to have a registry. It isn’t wrong to let it be known that you’re moving into an apartment and happy to take basement hand me downs of basics. Not by sending a link. By normal conversation with people. Maybe start by reaching out to people and asking how they are doing and if there’s anything you can do to help them. 
  • Options
    Nope, nope, nope. Look this definitely screws with plans & parties, but a registry for a house warming was never appropriate. 
  • Options
    Please do not send out this registry. A lot of people are financially strained right now and they don't need you making them feel pressured to buy you gifts. If you need stuff, borrow second-hand stuff from your parents, as many of us have in the past, or get what you can afford yourself and replace it with better stuff later. 

In other words, GROW UP.
  • Options
    Oh Green Goddess on a cracker, it's called Goodwill.  It's a right of passage. Suck it up and bargain shop. 

• Options
    FWIW, I am 40 years old and I STILL have some of the plates I was gifted that my aunt didn't use.   I use them because they were free and they are not broken.  And I would love a kitchen of beautiful un-chipped dishes that look like they came out of Ina Garten's home on the Hamptons but for now I'm STILL going to rock my hand me down items.
  • Options
    Oh fuck this.  I don't know anyone who had a college graduation party at all (other than maybe a dinner with parents a few friends).  But a REGISTRY?  LW needs to wake tf up.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    FWIW, I am 40 years old and I STILL have some of the plates I was gifted that my aunt didn't use.   I use them because they were free and they are not broken.  And I would love a kitchen of beautiful un-chipped dishes that look like they came out of Ina Garten's home on the Hamptons but for now I'm STILL going to rock my hand me down items.
    So much of my stuff is still hand me downs as well, including big items like furniture.  Our hutch, coffee table, end tables, and work desks were all stuff that the in-laws forced my husband to store when they separated and then never asked for back.  And even if I have the money for it, I check thrift stores for certain items.  Sometimes the older styles that they don't sell in stores anymore are more my taste.

Hubby also didn't get any gifts when he graduated. But he did, as mentioned above, get forced to store all their furniture that then became his furniture.  So ... kinda got stuff?

• Options
    Who t.f uses registry for even a house warming!?

Most of our stuff was hand-me-downs and our wine glasses {to my dismay} still are. {they're more expensive type, so we can't give them away - they really aren't my style though ... *sigh*}

Entitled brat.
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    banana468 said:
    So much of my stuff is still hand me downs as well, including big items like furniture.  Our hutch, coffee table, end tables, and work desks were all stuff that the in-laws forced my husband to store when they separated and then never asked for back.  And even if I have the money for it, I check thrift stores for certain items.  Sometimes the older styles that they don't sell in stores anymore are more my taste.

Hubby also didn't get any gifts when he graduated. But he did, as mentioned above, get forced to store all their furniture that then became his furniture.  So ... kinda got stuff?
    I forgot that our "dress" coffee table used to belong to my grandmother!   
  • Options
    Registering for graduation? You've got to be kidding me. I had a high school graduation party, and even got gifts. I was the oldest grandchild on my mom's side, so people came to all my shit. Most of the gifts were $20 in a card or gift cards for coffee/groceries; regardless, I didn't expect anything. 

The entitlement here is so gross. 
  • Options
    I sympathize with any graduate, high school or college, who is graduating this year.  It is a bummer they are missing out on some of the parties.  Saying good-bye/good luck to their classmates.  It's a bummer people have had to postpone their weddings.  It's a bummer people have had to postpone/cancel their vacations.  I get it.  It's one of the many things that suck about all this.

But the LW has this ALL wrong.  A registry for a graduation party or a housewarming party has NEVER been okay!  WTF.

I had a graduation party for high school.  A lot of people gave me cards that had cash/checks in them.  Only one person gave me a physical gift.  It was a great book from a longtime family friend about empowering yourself.  I did not register and no one gave me household items.

I actually moved into my first apartment during college.  That was when I needed all the stuff.  I brought my bed from home.  My parents gave me a lot of kitchen stuff they could spare and/or were extras.  I think my only "big ticket items", relatively speaking, were a cheap futon couch, a coffee table, and a microwave.  

I did not have a graduation party for college.  But, of course, some of our closest family and family friends knew I'd graduated.  I got Congratulation cards and some of them had checks.

LW, the GOOD news is, you're not missing out on anything gift-wise because of the pandemic!!!  If anything, it's saved you from looking like a complete POS.

So, thank your lucky stars you actually have a job lined up for when you graduate.  Go buy your stuff as you can afford to.  Like everybody else does.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This entitled brat should thank his parents for the gift they have already given him, his education, (because there's no way he paid for his degree without some help) and buy his own furniture. He can make a table with cinderblocks and two by fours, and a futon is fine for his 22 year old back.
  • Options
    I sympathize with any graduate, high school or college, who is graduating this year.  It is a bummer they are missing out on some of the parties.  Saying good-bye/good luck to their classmates.  It's a bummer people have had to postpone their weddings.  It's a bummer people have had to postpone/cancel their vacations.  I get it.  It's one of the many things that suck about all this.

But the LW has this ALL wrong.  A registry for a graduation party or a housewarming party has NEVER been okay!  WTF.

I had a graduation party for high school.  A lot of people gave me cards that had cash/checks in them.  Only one person gave me a physical gift.  It was a great book from a longtime family friend about empowering yourself.  I did not register and no one gave me household items.

I actually moved into my first apartment during college.  That was when I needed all the stuff.  I brought my bed from home.  My parents gave me a lot of kitchen stuff they could spare and/or were extras.  I think my only "big ticket items", relatively speaking, were a cheap futon couch, a coffee table, and a microwave.  

I did not have a graduation party for college.  But, of course, some of our closest family and family friends knew I'd graduated.  I got Congratulation cards and some of them had checks.

LW, the GOOD news is, you're not missing out on anything gift-wise because of the pandemic!!!  If anything, it's saved you from looking like a complete POS.

So, thank your lucky stars you actually have a job lined up for when you graduate.  Go buy your stuff as you can afford to.  Like everybody else does.
    So agreed. I know I’ve said this before but my sister and my MIL were (are?) graciously offering to host baby showers for us. It looks like that probably won’t happen. And yes we were registering. But you know what, we can buy all that stuff ourselves. And will. It’s part of being an adult. 

Am I bummed I won’t get to celebrate with my friends and family? Of course. But it’s not because of the potential for presents. 
  • Options
    But seriously .... where is LW living now? What does LW think people who don't go to college do?