Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographer communication/contract breach

Hello,

I was wondering if folks could share their experience around communication from your photographer. How communicative were they in the weeks/days leading up to the wedding? Did they work with you to create a detailed timeline? Did they seem enthusiastic at your wedding? Were they communicative after the wedding? Our photographer is talented and experienced, and advertises a boutique, personalized experience, but we felt like we have had to beg him to care about our wedding-- for example, the timeline document he sent had someone else's wedding left over for the second half of the day. We had no idea when he and his associate would be arriving or leaving the day of our wedding (and some major photos he missed, like group photos of the groomsmen). He never asked us questions to get to know us or seemed interested in making sure we had the exceptional experience he has built his brand around. We did get our photos delivered (on the very last day of the 10-12 week delivery range), but overall it was a very transactional and despite being friendly, he is extremely frustrating to have just basic communicate with (I should note he was VERY communicative up until we booked with him). 

For example, our current situation: we paid him for a heirloom album 14 weeks ago. His contract states clients will see an initial design in 3-4 weeks-- we have seen nothing nor gotten any updates. At 12 weeks, I sent an email requesting an update (no response). A week later, I sent a polite text stating his own contract terms and requesting an update (he has stated he prefers text). No response. The design phase of an album is not something that should be impacted by the pandemic (and technically, he should have sent us something long before the situation became a pandemic). We are so frustrated because he has such glowing reviews and yet we feel like he has never made us a priority as clients. I'm sure he will have an excuse when he eventually decides to respond, but at this point he has breached his own contract. Any advice on what to do here? Thank you!

Re: Photographer communication/contract breach

• Options
    Depending on your state, he may be shut off from being able to do anything right now if it's at a studio and not his home. Especially if he doesn't own said studio and working for a larger company.  

If you paid for a product and not gotten it nor any explanation of delays, etc. and you have it in your contract in writing, it may be time for something more than an email or phone call, you may need to do a certified letter if there has been no contact.  
  • Options
    Is it possible that there's a clause in the contract about acts of God or other situations where they cannot work?  Where are you located?  Does he have a social media presence at all to show that he is working? 

• Options
    Thank you for the replies! Payment was made January 6th, so 3-4 weeks from then would have been just at the very start of February, over a month before any restrictions were in place where we are located.

If he truly has gotten behind in his work and now feels restricted by the pandemic, then a simple update (i.e. reply to my inquiries) would be very much appreciated. I have read and re-read the contract specifically for his album creation process and it is sparse-- no clause regarding acts of God. Yes, he is active on social media. 

I will try sending another email and perhaps try a phone call-- if by May I have no word (over 4 months since payment, and 3 months past the contract delivery date) I suppose I should look into sending a certified letter. 
  • Options
    If he is active on social media and you know he's not currently affected by COVID (sick and/or doing something related to it) then I do think you need to push for that response.  IMO, these times call for being understanding but also require transparency and honesty in business.