Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Guest list dispute

Hi everyone,

So my fiance and I are (hopefully) planning on getting married this fall. We initially had a set budget for our wedding and we had an equal amount of people we could invite. My fiance and I come from big families, so we got some push back from our parents on not inviting our extended families. 
My fiance and I told both our parents that if they wanted the extended family at our wedding, they would have to pay for it. My fiance's parents don't have much, so they are not able to invite any extended family. However, my parents were able to afford the extra cost, thus we sent out save the date cards to all my extended family that my parents are paying for. 
Initially, I thought my fiance was okay with this as we mutually agreed to have our parents pay for any additional guests, but he recently told me he feels upset that I will have my extended family there and not his. I have been trying to figure out a way to solve this. On one hand I want my fiance to be happy and on the other hand I don't think it's fair for my parents to uninvite the guests. I also really don't want to dip into our savings.

Has anyone dealt with something similar? I would really appreciate some advice on this. 

Thanks!

Best Answers

Re: Guest list dispute

• Options
    I agree in someways with you both. The two big issues are that I don't want my fiance to be upset on our wedding day and I also don't want my parents to be unhappy.
    We are paying for everything ourselves except for the extra guests my parents are paying for and my grandma also generously is paying for my hair and makeup (it is apart of our culture). Otherwise, a lot of it is DIY, including my dress (thrifted and altered), flowers, music, etc. 
    Also, my parents don't make more money than his family. The difference is that in my culture weddings are extremely important, so my parents saved extra for months. At this point my parents have invited an extra 20 people. We definitely don't have the budget to invite another 20 people from my fiances side. 
    Honestly we shouldn't have given our parents that option, and now the only thing I can think of is to just not send invitations to the extra people my parents invited, maybe send a sorry note? I feel like my fiance being happy is more important than how my parents feel. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I actually got the idea from lurking on the Knott and saw a  few people who told their parents to pay for extra guests. Guess it doesn't work for everyone lol
    Ultimately I want my fiance to be happy, so I think the only reasonable thing to do is bite the bullet and dip into my savings.
    Also @Jen4948 can I ask you why that is offensive? I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, its just that different cultures have different priorities and it's not necessarily a good or bad thing. Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I actually got the idea from lurking on the Knott and saw a  few people who told their parents to pay for extra guests. Guess it doesn't work for everyone lol
    Ultimately I want my fiance to be happy, so I think the only reasonable thing to do is bite the bullet and dip into my savings.
    Also @Jen4948 can I ask you why that is offensive? I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, its just that different cultures have different priorities and it's not necessarily a good or bad thing. Thanks!
    It's not "offensive" per se, but he has as much right to have his cultural traditions honored at what is also his wedding as you do at yours.

If you dig your heels in too hard because of your culture, he might do the same and it could turn into a bone of contention which could make it hard to work out a mutually acceptable compromise. If it becomes necessary to not honor some of your cultural traditions in order to work out such a compromise, I would be prepared to do that.
  • Options
    @Jen4948 thanks for explaining. You're totally right, I just never though of it that way.