Wedding Woes

I think it’s Tuesday?

2»

Re: I think it’s Tuesday?

• @missJeanLouise, that's a heartbreaking situation!  I try not to judge other cultures/countries, but not having free basic education for all children living there is appalling.

Are there any home schooling options for the family that would be cheaper?

Also, you say they're ex-pats.  Since the H lost his job, is it possible they'll go back to their home country anyway?  I'd hate for you to go to such extremes to help them out and the family then decides it's better for them to leave the country.

I'm not trying to say you all shouldn't help them out.  However, I do want to give a piece of advice.  I know it's hard to see bad things happen to good people that you care about.  But you always need to keep in mind that it is not your responsibility.  We as a society should help with what we're comfortable helping with, but it shouldn't go beyond that.  I know you know that logically, but emotionally people can sometimes have feelings of guilt if they don't solve the problem for someone else.

The fact of the matter is that this family is living beyond their means, even in the best of times.  I'm not saying that is their fault.  But that is the reality.  They couldn't pay all of his school fees last year.  They couldn't pay them this year.  Unfortunately, they're probably not going to be able to pay them next year either, especially considering they're going to be even more in the hole because the H lost his job.  It's great you're buying them more time and helping them get caught up.  Just be careful not to get sucked into making this family your cause and taking on their financial problems at the detriment to your own family.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2020
    That is heartbreaking @missJeanLouise

• You are an amazing person @missJeanLouise!

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That's very kind of you @missJeanLouise!  (And when I said I wouldn't use my savings I thought you meant like your retirement savings.)
  • ei34 said:
    That's very kind of you @missJeanLouise!  (And when I said I wouldn't use my savings I thought you meant like your retirement savings.)
    Yeah, if it were retirement savings it probably wouldn't happen.