Wedding Woes
Options

Short Week Hump Day

Super thankful for the day off on Monday but I'm more thrown off than usual as far as day of the week.  But I double checked, it's Wednesday. I have back-to-back IEP meetings (which suck virtually, I've learned) but otherwise a normal day.  My last freezer gallon bag of meatballs and sausage are thawing in the fridge for tonight...debating making one more Sunday sauce before summer weather kicks in and the thought of a pot of anything simmering away for hours becomes laughable.  Not sure.  Hope everyone has a good one!

Re: Short Week Hump Day

• Options
    I feel the same. I love a day off but the rest of the week feels off. Although I’m glad we’re that much closer to Friday. 

It’s already too hot here; we hit a record high of 91 yesterday and today is looking the same. We don’t have central air (just window units) and they’re not doing enough. The morning is okay but by the afternoon our second floor is a sauna. 

I’m basically planning all of our dinners this week with what we can make using the stove as little as possible. 
  • Options
    SSDD here. Today's fun thing is that my excel crashed and all my macros are missing. I tried the handful of tricks I could find using Dr. Google, but now I'm stuck waiting for help desk. Our help desk could win awards for being the most useless corporate help desk ever. So, that's my mood. 

It's cool (for us, 70's) here and rainy. I'm kind of enjoying the break from the heat, even if it is dreary. I may actually use the stove tonight. We've been either grilling or eating salad the last week or so. I remember as a kid I always loved the hot weather, but now I would be fine to skip right from May to September. I don't know when that changed. 
    Same. The first advice they give is “turn it off, turn it back on”. Thanks I tried that before I called. 
  • Options
    Yeesh, it is a whole lotta nothing today.  I don't have much to do at work and I'm already bored, lol.  Which is certainly a better situation than being busy with bad things, work or otherwise, so I'll look on the bright side.

I crunched my vacation hours numbers.  Things were not as rosy as I expected.  Apparently I've squandered more than I thought by taking days off here and there over the last 8 months, lol.  Even though I never actually went anywhere.  So much for my plan of taking most of my Wednesdays off through summer, lol.  As such, I am at work today (sigh).

But all is not lost.  I do have 53 hours to burn up before Sept. 30th, which averages to 1.5 days/month to use.  Plus I can certainly take more time than that also, it will just subtract from the "max" hours I can roll into Oct. with.  I'm already planning to take either Wed. 6/3 or 6/10 off. 

Plus, the 4th of July is a little over a month away!  It conveniently falls on a Sat. this year, so Fri. July 3rd is the holiday.  Which means my half-day rolls back to Thurs. July 2nd.

Soooo, that's pandemic life!  Planning out my hopscotch of when I'll have extra days off.  I'm not even going to pretend there aren't some similarities on that with non-pandemic life, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sooo @MissKittyDanger, I got confused and thought you were talking about the last few days. I was like not only is she pregnant but very pregnant?!? How did I mis this! I know I don’t read the boards EVERY day but c’mon!  Lol!  Happy 2nd to BabyKitten and I, for one, cannot believe it!

@short+sassy , I’m looking at booking summer days off.  This is the longest I’ve gone without travel and was for sure I had banked up a lot but I only get 6.2 Hrs or something every 2 weeks, and I think I’m only 27 hrs in the black!  How can that be? I’m super pissed because 2 trips with my sister and nieces have been Canceled because of border closings.  I hope I can get to Winnipeg by August because I’m missing my little ones growing up!

Hot and humid here too. I made a boring bland chicken dish yesterday that I’m not excited about. I get my everyplate box tomorrow, thank goodness.

• Options
    @CharmedPam LMAO! Maybe I should have put the year just for reference ;)
    Believe me, I stare at her and I'm like "how t.f are you almost 2?"
  • Options
    DSDD - different shit, different day. 

I believe I updated you guys that Fuckface was trying to claim that I was harassing him. My lawyer suggested we file with the courts right away. That was completed, and I just had to give pictures and descriptions for the process server. So, he'll be getting served soon, and truly, I'm giddy. He's made my life a living hell, and I'm so happy to be moving forward. 

On a more happy note, just ordered a bunch of bathing suits because I've been on the divorce diet, and damn I'm feeling good! 
    Does this mean that there's something in addition to the filing for divorce?   I'm confused if there's something else you can add but good on you for doing everything you can to show him that he doesn't get to get away with that and that there are legal consequences for running his mouth. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @MissKittyDanger - happy birthday to BabyKitten

Good for you @climbingwife.

Today is the one day a week I have to work at my office. Kinda weird to be here, but in a good way - had it not been for the coronavirus I'd be doing it every weekday. Also weird because it doesn't feel like Wednesday. 

• Options
    SSDD. I don't want to work today and I'm basically making myself.  I'm burnt out and just need a vacation, but that's not happening anytime soon.  I'm also probably about to double my med dosage b/c I'm just exhausted with the state of the world.  For the first time in my life last night, I was wanted to move to Denmark or some other far away country.
  • Options

I believe I updated you guys that Fuckface was trying to claim that I was harassing him. My lawyer suggested we file with the courts right away. That was completed, and I just had to give pictures and descriptions for the process server. So, he'll be getting served soon, and truly, I'm giddy. He's made my life a living hell, and I'm so happy to be moving forward. 

On a more happy note, just ordered a bunch of bathing suits because I've been on the divorce diet, and damn I'm feeling good! 
    I don't remember this part, but that might just be me.  Sounds like he was possibly trying to set up filing for a restraining order against you, which could have forced you out of the house.

It's too bad his utter dickery has forced you to take more drastic measures.  I'm sure keeping the legal stuff more amicable would have been the better option for both of you.  But now he's ruined that by talking about harassment.

I'm glad you are feeling positive and looking to the future.  Rock those new bathing suits!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I’m happy about the short week. It’s great to have a three day weekend into a short work week. We get Friday off for the Fourth of July but unfortunately that means a full week afterwards. Boo hoo for first world problems. 

SSDD over here. The fact that we’re short staffed means it really sucks when someone calls off now. Which is what happened today. Ugh. Otherwise I’m back on my healthy eating and workouts. I took a little zzquil and slept great last night. 

Jack has been a little sick with what I’m hoping is a mild eye infection only. On Saturday I called the vet and picked up some erythromycin ointment but he doesn’t seem much better. If he’s not better by tomorrow I’m having FI take him in to the vet. He just doesn’t seem himself which is what worries me. 

Happy birthday to Baby Kitten @MissKittyDanger

*hugs* @climbingwife

• Options

I don't remember this part, but that might just be me.  Sounds like he was possibly trying to set up filing for a restraining order against you, which could have forced you out of the house.

It's too bad his utter dickery has forced you to take more drastic measures.  I'm sure keeping the legal stuff more amicable would have been the better option for both of you.  But now he's ruined that by talking about harassment.

I'm glad you are feeling positive and looking to the future.  Rock those new bathing suits!  
    I didn't remember it either and think @short+sassy is onto something where FF is attempting to do anything he can to manipulate financial assets in his favor.  

I guess I didn't realize that the paperwork he received wasn't him being served and now it makes sense that by doing this you're actually not filing jointly but you're doing it?  

Good luck.   I hope all things that can be done to protect you physically and financially are rolling. 
  • Options
    Happy Bday to babyKitten!! 
    @climbingwife good for you for taking steps, sorry this is such a clusterfuck.  

I've committed to no drinking and no after dinner snacking this week (on weeknights).  It's really sad that it's only been 2 days and it's difficult, lol.  The babe is getting so heavy that my arms are starting to get pretty muscly - it's really nice!!  Upper body strength has always been an issue for me.  
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Add me to the confused on what day it is

S+S you can have some of my vacation time. I have 120 hours to use by June 30 and this is my busy season for work so definitely no time to take 3 weeks off. Normally I carry over a week but we are moving to unlimited PTO as of July 1 so no carryover needed. Not sure if they will pay it out or anything. I have a week off planned in June bc it was when DH was supposed to be on a week long traveling car show - the show is cancelled but I'm keeping my week off though I'll have to work some 

Hugs Climbing wife! Glad you had already been working with a lawyer and can beat him to the punch on any paperwork 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

S+S you can have some of my vacation time. I have 120 hours to use by June 30 and this is my busy season for work so definitely no time to take 3 weeks off. Normally I carry over a week but we are moving to unlimited PTO as of July 1 so no carryover needed. Not sure if they will pay it out or anything. I have a week off planned in June bc it was when DH was supposed to be on a week long traveling car show - the show is cancelled but I'm keeping my week off though I'll have to work some 

Hugs Climbing wife! Glad you had already been working with a lawyer and can beat him to the punch on any paperwork 
    Depending on what state you are in, they would be legally required to pay it out.  It should be an easy Google search to find out.

That's how Louisiana is.  Which is why my company sets a cut-off date (Sept. 30th).  They don't want people storing up too much vacation so you can only rollover 160 hours, but then they have to pay us out with the first paycheck in Oct. for any vacation hours that were over that.  I was one hour over last year, lol.

Does your company have a policy that lets you gift vacation hours to other coworkers?  If so and you know you are not going to use all of them in June, maybe you have a coworker who is having a hard time with stress/illness/childcare/etc.  Though I'd assume this is their busy time too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    kvruns said:

Depending on what state you are in, they would be legally required to pay it out.  It should be an easy Google search to find out.

That's how Louisiana is.  Which is why my company sets a cut-off date (Sept. 30th).  They don't want people storing up too much vacation so you can only rollover 160 hours, but then they have to pay us out with the first paycheck in Oct. for any vacation hours that were over that.  I was one hour over last year, lol.

Does your company have a policy that lets you gift vacation hours to other coworkers?  If so and you know you are not going to use all of them in June, maybe you have a coworker who is having a hard time with stress/illness/childcare/etc.  Though I'd assume this is their busy time too!
    Our state does not require it. I think our company policy is to pay out some accrued PTO upon separation but this is different when you are moving to an unlimited plan. So technically you're not losing any the policy is just changing. I've had employers do similar things to try to figure out how to transition to a policy like this and some will pay out a % of any remaining PTO and others will keel it use or or lose it since it's going to unlimited. 

we don't do pto donation, and my position is weird and this is my busy season but the maority of the company is busiest Sept-Dec where I'm not quite as busy at that time. 

IMO PTO is going to be a hot button topic in the fall as vacations have been cancelled and people aren't taking as many random days off since they have no where to go. Employers are going to find themselves trying to figure out an appropriate strategy as we approach year end so that they're not stuck with employees wanting to use tons of PTO at the end of the year but also aren't mad about losing it if it isn't feasible to take a ton of time off in December. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:

Our state does not require it. I think our company policy is to pay out some accrued PTO upon separation but this is different when you are moving to an unlimited plan. So technically you're not losing any the policy is just changing. I've had employers do similar things to try to figure out how to transition to a policy like this and some will pay out a % of any remaining PTO and others will keel it use or or lose it since it's going to unlimited. 

we don't do pto donation, and my position is weird and this is my busy season but the maority of the company is busiest Sept-Dec where I'm not quite as busy at that time. 

IMO PTO is going to be a hot button topic in the fall as vacations have been cancelled and people aren't taking as many random days off since they have no where to go. Employers are going to find themselves trying to figure out an appropriate strategy as we approach year end so that they're not stuck with employees wanting to use tons of PTO at the end of the year but also aren't mad about losing it if it isn't feasible to take a ton of time off in December. 
    I think you’re totally right on this. People in my company haven’t been taking PTO and our managers are encouraging it, but people don’t want to use time to just sit at home. But we can only roll over 1 week to the new year so there’s either going to be a lot of unused vacation or people are all going to try and take time off at the end of the year. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:

I think you’re totally right on this. People in my company haven’t been taking PTO and our managers are encouraging it, but people don’t want to use time to just sit at home. But we can only roll over 1 week to the new year so there’s either going to be a lot of unused vacation or people are all going to try and take time off at the end of the year. 
    Of course, the obvious answer is stop with the bs of "use it or lose it" vacation policies that almost half the states don't allow anyway.  But how silly of me to even suggest such a thing, lol.

Early in my career, I had a job where one of my tasks was to track vacation time for all of the employees under my boss.  Our company was headquartered in Maryland and had a use it or lose it vacation policy, but they couldn't enforce it in states that didn't allow it.  He managed employees who worked all over the country so I tracked vacation time with three spreadsheets, lol.

One for people in use/lose it states.  One for people who weren't.  And then a combined one with everyone on it.  I even kept a paper handy in my desk that listed all the states and what their use it/lose it labor law stance was.

In an unrelated aside, it was interesting to see the patterns of how people took vacation time.  There were very clearly two kinds of people and that surprised me!  People who took their vacation time almost as soon as it was accrued.  Or people who would hoard it (hello me) and then occasionally use it in a chunk, like for a one week vacation.  Sure, there was about 10-20% who ran in-between.  But the vast majority ran one way or the other.  Now that I work somewhere that limits how much vacation is carried over, I've become more of an in-betweener.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    *hugs* @climbingwife sending you all the vibes having to share the house with him at this time.  Enjoy the bathing suits :)
    Yikes 91 degrees @charlotte989875 that hurts.  We've only gone into low 70s, two or three days, and I now feel silly complaining about the "heat".  I hope this summer isn't a scorcher by you and your third trimester.
    Boo for having less vacation time than anticipated @short+sassy and for not being able to use it @kvruns

• Options
    Climbing - Rock those new suits!  Stay strong in the face of FFs idiocy.  You will come out better in the end.  Maybe try to video the process serving for you to view over and over again!

Having a good day so far.  It sounds like my office may start opening June 15th or so.  They haven't announced if they will do split shifts or anything like that yet.  I have my own private office/cube and only need to go to communal areas for bathroom breaks and to use the kitchen.  It sounds like they will be taking temps too.

We also went to DDs daycare today.  They had a small event today with their corporate mascot and some of the teachers.  She was super excited to see the teachers, but cried when the mascot came over!  All of the kids and parents stayed in their cars and they came over to us.  DD also got to see her BF, so even though she was crying from the mascot - she was happy to see her BF!

I have yoga after work today too.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:

Same. We had a bunch of rumors floating around a month or so ago that they were going to amend our use it or lose it policy, but HR came out and shot that one down last week. Now they're encouraging us to take time now rather than wait until December. 

@climbingwife I wish I could see the expression on stupid FF's face when the process server shows up. You've been served, asshole! 
  • Options
    I'm stunned.  They're releasing the news that Larry Kramer has died.  I keep searching, thinking it has to be a terrible joke:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/us/larry-kramer-dead.html
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I'm stunned.  They're releasing the news that Larry Kramer has died.  I keep searching, thinking it has to be a terrible joke:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/us/larry-kramer-dead.html
    I saw that, such a sad day. 

I read ‘And the Band Played On’ and his ‘The Normal Heart’ my senior year in college and it had a huge impact on me. Such a loss. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    It’s a tragic loss.