Wedding Woes

Cancelled due to COVID - Wedding Registry still an option?

Looking for some advice from all points of view! 
My wedding is in October; and after much deliberation, we have decided to cancel. Our state has been slow to get phases started, and at this point we are playing it safe, rather than sorry. 
My questions is this; when we send out cancellation notices, would it be acceptable to inform our guests that our registry is still open, and we will accept gifts? 

Thank you for your help! 

Re: Cancelled due to COVID - Wedding Registry still an option?

• Unfortunately, no.  It's never appropriate to mention gifts on an invitation or announcement or anything like that, because that makes a presumption the guest needs to give a gift.  And they don't under any circumstances, but especially since now they will no longer be a guest.  Which I know is no fault to your own or their own!  But it still is what it is.

However, it's fine to keep the registry open.  I'm sure a lot of your guests will still want to get you all a gift.  Guests can probably find your registry if they Google your all's name.  Or it's also fine to tell them where you are registered if they ask
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Looking for some advice from all points of view! 
    My wedding is in October; and after much deliberation, we have decided to cancel. Our state has been slow to get phases started, and at this point we are playing it safe, rather than sorry. 
    My questions is this; when we send out cancellation notices, would it be acceptable to inform our guests that our registry is still open, and we will accept gifts? 

Thank you for your help! 
    I'm so sorry.  It has to be frustrating to change the plans.

Unfortunately, no you can't say that you still have a registry and will accept gifts.  That said, I think most people will get it.   I don't know of a single couple who refused gifts.   And I think so many people are understanding that this is new territory.   

Are you going to elope?  Or are you just not getting married at all? 

• I'm sorry you have to cancel. I know that's a hard decision to make and can be heartbreaking.

While it's fine to keep the registry open, I'm echoing the others that it's not ok to mention it in anything you send out to people. If anyone asks, by all means share, but mentioning your registry on your invitation or cancellation is asking for gifts and not cool. 
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2020
    It's perfectly fine to keep your registry open, but it's not appropriate to mention it to your guests. If they want to get you something, they'll ask where you're registered or will send a monetary gift. They can start a conversation about gifts if they wish, but you cannot start that conversation yourself. 

Also, are you planning on not getting married at all now, are you having a private wedding ceremony that's just you and a couple of witnesses, or are you going to reschedule? That also affects when and if people would be getting you gifts.
  • Thank you for the input!! Yes, we will elope; and then have a small reception at our house. Unfortunately, we cannot invite our entire guest list due to the size of our house, so limiting it to a select few will be another challenge. 
  • Thank you for the input!! Yes, we will elope; and then have a small reception at our house. Unfortunately, we cannot invite our entire guest list due to the size of our house, so limiting it to a select few will be another challenge. 
    Instead of that, I think you would not say that the wedding is cancelled and instead clarify that the wedding "Will not take place as planned." 

Then on your wedding day and no earlier you can send out wedding announcements.

Gift information should not be included but people will know and those who want to send something will figure it out.