Wedding Woes
Options

Movies. Are. Not. Real. Life.

Dear Prudence,

I’ve been with my partner for four years now. I’m 26, and he’s 29. Everything was very easy right from the start, and we went from “dating” to “settling down together” quite quickly. We communicate well, compromise easily, bicker occasionally, and are happy living together. Our relationship is not passionate—we’re more like an old married couple. We’ve started talking more seriously about marriage and kids, and I’m anxious. According to my friends and a lot of books and movies, there seems to be something about love I haven’t experienced. I love my partner, but I don’t have that feeling of urgency I’ve heard other people describe as love, and neither does he. (We talk about everything.)

He says he is perfectly happy as we are. I had a meltdown about this last year, and he was very supportive, even suggesting I move away and try out “a new life” for a few months before reconnecting. This offer meant a lot to me, even though I would not have taken him up on it.

Friends talk about when they “knew” they were going to commit to their partner, how they can’t imagine themselves with anyone else. But I don’t know, and I can imagine. I don’t want to leave. Just the thought makes me cry immediately. But what if there’s something more, that neither of us have experienced, but we’re keeping each other from finding? Then again, what if there isn’t and I throw away a perfectly happy existence in pursuit of a fiction?

—Unready

Re: Movies. Are. Not. Real. Life.

• Options
    Oh boy.

There's no real right answer here but the LW needs to know that it's not all puppies and rainbows. 

That said, there should be chemistry - a spark.   So figure out if you're together because you love each other and know that in love you're not humping like bunnies all the time or are you together because it's convenient? 
  • Options
    Everyone’s relationship is different and movies/TV rarely get any of them right. 

I’m curious about the passionate part- are you ever passionate, just not all the time? I agree there should be a spark, but that it feels and looks different for everyone. 

But also maybe you’re fine without deep passionate, rip all your clothes off, love. That just doesn’t happen for some people AND THATS OKAY if you’re okay with it. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

But also maybe you’re fine without deep passionate, rip all your clothes off, love. That just doesn’t happen for some people AND THATS OKAY if you’re okay with it. 
    1) clothes are $$$, so I'm not ripping shit and 2) not one person I know of hears music and runs to their partner every time they walk in the room.  Sometimes someone else taking out the trash is romance. 

This is my love language. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

1) clothes are $$$, so I'm not ripping shit and 2) not one person I know of hears music and runs to their partner every time they walk in the room.  Sometimes someone else taking out the trash is romance. 

This is my love language. 
    So much that! DH does that and it's great! 
  • Options
    Every relationship is different and every person is different. Some couples never feel that "urgency" you are talking about but have some other sort of spark/chemistry that works for them. There are also a lot of couples who have that urgency and passion for a while and then it fades into something more comfortable. Even when you read about a lot of the great love affairs of history and Hollywood, you'll find that a lot of those relationships weren't super passionate the entire time those people were together. 

I think you need to evaluate what it is you love about your partner and your relationship and whether you are staying with them and afraid to leave ONLY because it's gotten so comfortable. And whether that passion/urgency you speak of is something that you really need that much.