Wedding Woes

Juneteenth Friday

Hello and Happy Juneteenth!

What's up for the weekend?  

Tonight I think we're going to just have some downtime.  We do need to get some stuff done around the house since SIL and nieces will be here Wednesday.  

Tomorrow DH and DefConn are going out and about.  I work.  They're going to the house of a family friend tomorrow night with FIL.  I'm getting a pedicure and then I have no idea.  

Sunday, I think we're hosting brunch for Father's Day with FIL.  We're going to my sister's for dinner with my family. 

This weekend is a little bit the calm before the storm.  The next few weeks are going to be busy.  

Re: Juneteenth Friday

• I'm in here early today.  My firm gave us off today too.  They have been making some more pushes to diversify our attorneys the last few years and this is another step they are taking.  They also provided us with lots of resources to read and learn more about Juneteenth, systemic racism and other issues that POC face.  So I am taking the time to read them and will probably watch Selma later today or over the weekend.

H and I will be running some errands today and grabbing lunch.  Restaurants are open for outside dining now, so we are doing lunch.  Then going grocery shopping.

My brother & SIL are getting their rental today!  Tomorrow their rental furniture will arrive, so today should be their last night here.  I think we are all ready for our households to separate again!  The dogs and DD will be very sad when they all leave, so I've started to talk to DD letting them know they will be going soon.

Saturday we are going to try and attend church in person.  I'm satisfied with their precautions - greatly limiting in person attendance, mass in both church and our community center to spread the limited people out, communion at the very end as you leave, enter/exiting through specific doors and sanitizing the church between masses.

Sunday I have plans to make homemade biscuits (my first ever attempt) and bacon gravy as Hs breakfsat.  Then we will have steak and mashed potatoes for dinner.  I should make a cake, but haven't even thought about that yet!  Maybe I will buy one instead.
  • I get off at noon today for Juneteenth.  My company decided last minute to honor it.  I think they plan to incorporate it as a paid holiday going forward. 
  • ((hugs)) @VarunaTT.  I completely empathize with you.  I'm sorry it's such a struggle at the moment.  I hope you feel better soon. 
  • We close at 3pm today, but that's just because of Covid and limited the building hours. 

Tonight my friend and I are checking out a Juneteenth celebration in the town we grew up in. Possibly dinner after if we're able to get a table at one of the places offering outside dining. 

Tomorrow night we're going out to dinner to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. Crazy! 

Sunday my friend and I have plans to check out the new walking path over the new bridge near us. 
  • H's company (a bank) gave their employees a half day and will be closing all offices and branches at 1 pm. They are also providing materials and resources to employees about Juneteenth along with diversity, inclusion and equality. My company has said nothing to even acknowledge it and sadly I'm not surprised. 

Need to get to the store today to get H and my dad cards for Father's day. I might also get H a little something from the baby. I already gave him his gift earlier this week when the Amazon package showed up. Not sure what our plans are going to be yet, but will probably go to my inlaws on Sunday and have my dad down tomorrow.
  • I changed my mind and did come into work today.  I ended up getting some unexpected work late in the day yesterday.  I could have still taken today off, but I preferred to just get the work done and out of the way.  Plus, it's just as easy to save the vacation hours for another day.  I am going to the bank this afternoon to beat down the balance on my HELOC a nice chunk further.  It always feels good to do that, despite it not being good the balance is so high to begin with, lol.

Saturday, I'm going to Target for some gig work of all unusual things!  I got a call on Wed. from a company that belongs to a mystery shopping (ms) scheduling website that I signed up on.  They themselves are not an ms company, but they do merchandising/sampling types of events and it's pretty common for mystery shoppers to do that kind of gig work also.  I personally don't usually do this kind of work because it tends to pay really crappy for the time involved, lol.  But this particular assignment is decent.  I'm setting up a display in the morning hours that should take about 10-15 minutes.  And then I return in the early evening to take it back down.

It pays $30 total which, considering my driving time, is meh.  BUT, by "proving" myself with this assignment, I've already been scheduled to go back two weeks from now and do THREE of these displays in one visit, plus the take-downs.  It's still 30 bucks for each display.  So that will be a $90 day for 4 hours of my time (including driving).  The driving is really what takes the most time.  But I've been wanting to get back out to the suburbs anyway and see what Trader Joe's has lately (it's near this Target).  Especially with all the pandemic stuff going on, I don't think I've been to that neighboring city since Feb., lol.

Nothing planned for Sunday.  Just relaxing at home, which is great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yesterday was busy but today is pretty quiet. I had a virtual training session again this morning. I'll be doing those for the forseeable future. I feel fine doing cardio equipment at the Y but I don't feel confident that weights are being cleaned as well as they need to be. I'm pretty bummed because DS1 and DIL decided not to come over next weekend. They are too freaked out to travel (an almost direct quote). I understand, and it is their decision, but I'm disappointed. I suggested he talk to DD about his concerns. She can give him a medical perspective so hopefully he won't be so freaked out for months until a vaccine is available. I worry about his state of mind if he is so afraid to go out. 

I plan on spending the afternoon reading. Tomorrow will be house cleaning.
  • H's company (a bank) gave their employees a half day and will be closing all offices and branches at 1 pm. They are also providing materials and resources to employees about Juneteenth along with diversity, inclusion and equality. My company has said nothing to even acknowledge it and sadly I'm not surprised. 

Need to get to the store today to get H and my dad cards for Father's day. I might also get H a little something from the baby. I already gave him his gift earlier this week when the Amazon package showed up. Not sure what our plans are going to be yet, but will probably go to my inlaws on Sunday and have my dad down tomorrow.
    It's just as well my company didn't give us the day off or let us off early.  Because, if they had, I would have needed to be rolled out on a stretcher after passing out from complete and utter shock.  I don't doubt their commitment to being an equal opportunity employer and fostering a supportive atmosphere for all, it's not that.  But they are stingy AF.  They did set up a webinar on Mon. about ethics and race.  But it's set up for our lunch time.  Translation: "We'd like you to watch this webinar, but we're not going to pay you to watch it."

@climbingwife, congrats to your parents!  And ((hugs)) to you also.  I know it's irony and bad timing to be celebrating such a wonderful relationship milestone, while you are still smack in the middle of dealing with FF and the divorce.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    We are closing early today, although I'll probably still work. Definitely haven't gotten as much done working this week with B home that I needed to. Fortunately daycare opens back up Monday -- so glad it is opening 3 days early! -- so it will be nice to go back to my routine and get more work done. 

Already planning some days off soon once work settles down. 
  • We’re closing all our beaches at 3 today and sending all employees home, we also distributed resources and reading materials. For a fairly conservative bank I was surprised and impressed. 

Not sure what’s up for the weekend; H has something planned for tomorrow but I don’t know anything about it. So, surprise Saturday I guess? 
  • I meant to mention.  I ran into my next-door tenant last night and we caught up a bit.  Some of you may remember, but I posted a few weeks ago about an unreal huge, rager party some of his Airbnb guests threw.  Dozens of people in an 850 sq. ft., 2 bd/1ba house.  While our city was still under a Stay At Home order, no less!!!  My H had also seen people smoking inside, when he knocked on the door at 2:50AM to tell them to STFU already.

Anyway, I was worried for my tenant because I assumed that many people were going to cause a bunch of damage.  And I know my tenant spent thousands on furnishing the space.  Even hired an interior decorator.

Unfortunately, yep.  TWO GRAND in damage, smh!  None of it to the house, at least, so it doesn't affect me.  But there were burn holes in his gorgeous $700 all white, throw rug.  Another huge burn hole in his sofa.  Someone peed on one of the mattresses.  It never ceases to amaze me how rude, selfish, and irresponsible people can be.  On the bright side for my tenant, one of the benefits Airbnb includes with their services is an up to $1M/occurrence coverage.  So he'll at least be paid back, one way or another.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hugs @VarunaTT

Of course my company isn’t doing anything for Juneteenth either. They like to tout themselves as “diverse and serving a diverse patient population,” but they haven’t actually done anything to really support that. I’m sure they’d argue that keeping us open is to serve our patients, but I know the real reason is the almighty $$$. 

I tested negative. I was called into work yesterday after my test resulted and I basically just stayed in my office with the door closed and an N95 on. I had so much work to catch up on. I’m going to request a second test today and hope they give it to me since it’s now been five days post (Last) exposure, and that’s about how much time it takes to build up enough detectable viral load if you do have it. I would just feel much more comfortable getting the second test. I don’t want to put anyone at risk. 

I’m skipping Father’s Day at my parent’s house. I’m bummed, but the risk outweighs the benefits. This is all dumb. I guess FBIL (FSIL’s FI) is now having some symptoms too. So we’ll see if he tests positive too. I don’t know how he wouldn’t. Obviously they live together and they haven’t been even trying to limit contact exposure to each other. After our blowout when I tore FSIL a new one, made her call off work, and schedule a test, they snuggled up on the couch and gave each other a kiss. So he’s got the rona for sure. 

• We’re closing all our beaches at 3 today and sending all employees home, we also distributed resources and reading materials. For a fairly conservative bank I was surprised and impressed. 

Not sure what’s up for the weekend; H has something planned for tomorrow but I don’t know anything about it. So, surprise Saturday I guess? 
    I wish my bank branch was a beach, lol :).
    Hahaha same! Can I blame pregnancy brain?
  • Happy Juneteenth!

I'm working from home while a technician fixes my phone line (incredible during Covid-19, but they couldn't fix my phone line remotely). 

I have some busy weeks ahead and my boss keeps shuffling my schedule around. Every client wants their return NOW but there's only one of me.

I wish my bank branch was a beach, lol :).
    I read that and thought, whats the point of going home if the beaches are closed? Lol

My parents arrive today, but I am working till 4. They took a long weekend to get the boat back into the water for the 4th weekend.  I have some swimsuits coming for that longweekend.  All swim shorts because I still hate my legs despite working the eff outta them.  I should have model legs by now but I don’t. 

Hope everyone has a good Father’s Day!

• levioosa said:
    Hugs @VarunaTT

Of course my company isn’t doing anything for Juneteenth either. They like to tout themselves as “diverse and serving a diverse patient population,” but they haven’t actually done anything to really support that. I’m sure they’d argue that keeping us open is to serve our patients, but I know the real reason is the almighty $$$. 

I tested negative. I was called into work yesterday after my test resulted and I basically just stayed in my office with the door closed and an N95 on. I had so much work to catch up on. I’m going to request a second test today and hope they give it to me since it’s now been five days post (Last) exposure, and that’s about how much time it takes to build up enough detectable viral load if you do have it. I would just feel much more comfortable getting the second test. I don’t want to put anyone at risk. 

I’m skipping Father’s Day at my parent’s house. I’m bummed, but the risk outweighs the benefits. This is all dumb. I guess FBIL (FSIL’s FI) is now having some symptoms too. So we’ll see if he tests positive too. I don’t know how he wouldn’t. Obviously they live together and they haven’t been even trying to limit contact exposure to each other. After our blowout when I tore FSIL a new one, made her call off work, and schedule a test, they snuggled up on the couch and gave each other a kiss. So he’s got the rona for sure. 
    So FSIL got it, was actively having it and exposed you and her answer of being torn a new one was to smooch her FI? 

The family gets why this was such an idiotic, categorically stupid move on her part, right?  I tried to catch up through the week but is she not understanding that it's horrible to expose ANYONE to this especially someone who is WORKING IN HEALTHCARE?? 
  • levioosa said:
    Hugs @VarunaTT

Yah for testing negative, but boo for FSIL's laissez-faire approach, and also for your work making you come in.  This is serious stuff, and exposing people to it isn't something to take so lightly!  Wouldn't your company want to wait a bit longer?

How are you feeling? 

• I'm going house shopping tomorrow!  I'm curious to see how they take precautions for Covid.  I'm not buying, but my SIL is in the market and doesn't know what to look for.  And I actually really like house shopping.  I hate moving and all the headaches involved with real estate agents and lawyers when you buy, but looking at new places is enjoyable.  

I have decided to take out my gravel sidewalk and just have it mulched with the rest of my yard, so I have to do some yard work this weekend.  But it is supposed to be pretty hot, so I don't know how far I get.  But, it does need to get done.

Also, tomorrow is my favourite horse race, the Belmont Stakes, and I am excited.  I don't know how I'll watch it because I don't have cable TV and I usually go to a bar to watch it and they are all closed, but I will find a way.  Worst case scenario I watch it on Youtube after the fact, which takes some fun out of it because they usually announce the winner in the title of the clip.  

• So my phone contract was up around March, but everything was shut down so I was like "cool, I'll wait it out"
    Luckily stuff is opening up because since yesterday my phone has started freezing and crashing, then rebooting constantly :(

Tonight isn't much. We start 3pm closing for summer Fridays today with work, so that's exciting :)
    M's hoping to finish work early to pick up BabyKitten before doing grocery pickup since it's hot a.f out BUT since he likely won't be able to, I've got her water in the fridge to take with me.

Tomorrow M is donating blood in the morning, and hopefully it won't be too long so we can hit up splash pad afterwards before nap and before heat.
    Very least we are going to the phone company store to get me a new phone. I cannot deal with it anymore.

Sunday M is going kayaking by his grandfather and visiting him. I'm meeting up with my mum and depending on weather, while we walk home we may find a field and set BabyKitten free lol
    She is also cutting my hair. It's a couple inches only but it'll make a huge difference. I want to eventually see a stylist, and at least now that we have short days on Fridays I can book something this summer BUT I cannot wait that long to cut my hair. Too much weight
  • Ugh. My dad just texted that my cousin is in the hospital on a respirator, not expected to recover. I have no idea what that means, and he can't get his brother to call him back. 

She's like 45. 
    No words, @m@MyNameIsNot. I hope that’s not true :( 

• @levioosa, I'm glad to hear you tested negative and I hope you're able to get a second test.  I'm sure you could safely feel out of the woods for that one to come back negative also.

I do not get your FSIL.  Or FBIL, for that matter.  Yes, yes, most people only have mild cases...though who wants to potentially feel sick for 1-2 weeks either.  But people who are young and perfectly healthy have died also.  We just don't know how anyone's body will react.

My H and I made plans months ago for what we would do if one of us contracted COVID.  TBH, there's not a lot.  We don't even have a second bedroom.  But any snuggling/touching would obviously be off limits.  In fact, in early April, he had a fever one day and felt crappy for a few days.  We both majorly upped our hand washing and wiped down surfaces with disinfectant multiple times a day.  I doubt he had COVID but, either way, he was sick.  But I didn't get sick, even with just those precautions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @levioosa, I'm glad to hear you tested negative and I hope you're able to get a second test.  I'm sure you could safely feel out of the woods for that one to come back negative also.

I do not get your FSIL.  Or FBIL, for that matter.  Yes, yes, most people only have mild cases...though who wants to potentially feel sick for 1-2 weeks either.  But people who are young and perfectly healthy have died also.  We just don't know how anyone's body will react.

My H and I made plans months ago for what we would do if one of us contracted COVID.  TBH, there's not a lot.  We don't even have a second bedroom.  But any snuggling/touching would obviously be off limits.  In fact, in early April, he had a fever one day and felt crappy for a few days.  We both majorly upped our hand washing and wiped down surfaces with disinfectant multiple times a day.  I doubt he had COVID but, either way, he was sick.  But I didn't get sick, even with just those precautions.
    We did the exact same thing. I don’t understand how people don’t take this more seriously. 

We do have 3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms so it was a little easier but we definitely talked through how we’d adjust if it happened. 
  • Ugh. My dad just texted that my cousin is in the hospital on a respirator, not expected to recover. I have no idea what that means, and he can't get his brother to call him back. 

She's like 45. 
    I'm so sorry to hear that!  All the Ts and Ps that she pulls through, despite the bad news.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker