Wedding Woes
Options

1st Tuesday of Summer

Ah, my fourth favorite season.  At least weather-wise.  The being off part is nice.  Packing up my cooler backpack, taking the kids strawberry picking shortly, and it's a good hour-long drive east.  I'm actually trying a new farm this year, they require masks and (at least according to instagram) they've been taking a lot of great precautions.  Oh and they offer fresh strawberry ice cream at their farm stand. 
Hope everyone's work day goes smoothly, and you're all healthy and well.

Re: 1st Tuesday of Summer

• Options
    @ei34 Have fun strawberry picking! There are a couple farms near me that are starting to let people do u-pick and they require masks and will work to keep people distanced.

In the office today for work. I've got a full calendar and lots to do so hopefully it makes the day go by quicker. I have a lot of reading and video watching to do tonight when I get home for my anti-racism group tomorrow. I'm excited for our next session - the group is so committed and willing to do the work and learn. 
  • Options
    We bought local strawberries at the farmer's market this past weekend. OMG so delicious! I'm getting ready to workout with my trainer (virtually). Not sure what is going on the rest of the day except Italian homework. Maybe try to finish up an actual paper book I'm reading (I normally read on my iPad). 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Good morning, actually remembered to check in early. Catching up on emails and DVR until my next meeting. Feel like I have meetings off and on all day which I always feel like makes it hard to concentrate on projects since I have to switch directions a bunch.

Lower humidity is coming soon which will be nice for getting outside. B is back in daycare and came home exhausted, he actually fell asleep easily which was nice. He's been fighting it so bad I've been going crazy.
  • Options
    I ripped a hole in my favorite running shorts (and one of the few that still fit me) this morning so I’m bummed. 

It’s pretty hot here still, and humid, so I skipped my walk/run this morning to lay in the air conditioning with H. It was definitely the right choice. 

H’s brothers birthday is tonight and they’re planning dinner outside. We’re going to try and go and keep our distance. I’m really nervous about opening our bubble up but I also feel like we can’t isolate forever. This is a constant struggle for me. 
  • Options
    Strawberry picking sounds fun! But I'm in denial Georgia, where people won't bother with masks, so I'll stick with store bought. 

I'm taking a half day of vacation this afternoon and heading up to join some friends who are camping at the lake. I can't imagine camping in this heat and humidity, but I'll enjoy socially distant hanging out for an afternoon before coming home and taking a shower and sleeping in A/C. At least that's the plan, but there are thunderstorms rolling through, so we'll see. 

Cousin passed yesterday afternoon. I'm sad, but not devastated. I'd rather not travel, but my mom is really pushing me to go to the funeral next week. So, I'm trying to figure out whether there's any way I can safely do that. I'm extremely concerned about having to stop at a public bathroom, but also worried that going up there means potentially being exposed to a lot of people. It's not like I could realistically just go to the funeral and then turn around and come home. 
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2020
    Edited to add @MyNameIsNot, I'm so sorry to hear your cousin passed away.  This virus has already taken too many.

@ei34, fresh strawberry ice cream sounds awesome!  I'm jealous, lol.  There's a small town about an hour from NOLA called Ponchatoula.  They have a big Strawberry Festival every year in April though, of course, it was cancelled this year.  A local brewery makes a strawberry lager from the strawberries grown on Ponchatoula farms.  It is delicious and one of my faves.

I'd heard 40% of the nation's strawberries are grown in Ponchatoula but, I just looked it up, and that is a lie.  I always thought that stat sounded suspicious, lol.  91% of the nation's strawberries are grown in CA.  Of course they are, lol.  CA is an agricultural behemoth, especially with fruit.  I miss the great weather.  But I don't miss the HCOL!

Another boring day at work (sigh).  However, I'm planning to take a random vacation day tomorrow!  But watch.  Now that I've said that, some huge and totally unexpected project is going to fall from the sky, lol.  That's what happened to me last week.  I was planning to take Fri. off and then had some urgent work unexpectedly come in late in the day on Thurs.

Next week, will be awesome too.  4-day weekend!  Fri. is a holiday, which pushes my half-day to Thurs., so I'm taking Thurs. off also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Strawberry picking sounds fun! But I'm in denial Georgia, where people won't bother with masks, so I'll stick with store bought. 

I'm taking a half day of vacation this afternoon and heading up to join some friends who are camping at the lake. I can't imagine camping in this heat and humidity, but I'll enjoy socially distant hanging out for an afternoon before coming home and taking a shower and sleeping in A/C. At least that's the plan, but there are thunderstorms rolling through, so we'll see. 

Cousin passed yesterday afternoon. I'm sad, but not devastated. I'd rather not travel, but my mom is really pushing me to go to the funeral next week. So, I'm trying to figure out whether there's any way I can safely do that. I'm extremely concerned about having to stop at a public bathroom, but also worried that going up there means potentially being exposed to a lot of people. It's not like I could realistically just go to the funeral and then turn around and come home. 
    I think the public restroom is really of minimal concern if you wear a mask and wash you hands. The problem will be actually attending the funeral. 
  • Options
    The strawberry picking sounds fun! 

Wusband actually helped me put the AC unit in the bedroom. Thank fucking god. We only had the giant wall unit on in the living room, and it barely gets the cold air back to the bedrooms. So, I will be sleeping in a very cold room tonight and I'm so freaking excited. 

WFH today and tomorrow, then back to the office Thursday and Friday. Then I'll be home again for the next 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited June 2020
    I have a 4 day weekend next week too and looking forward to it. I already bought some bathing suits for my parents’ new lake house and a cool cowboy hat (and 100 spf because you don’t go to 0-100 in one day)

i had a no sugar added neapolitian ice cream in my grocery cart, but it wasn't on sale so didn’t add it. and now I think I’ll get it with all this strawberry talk. 

Yeah I think they said getting covid from surfaces isn’t as prominent as they first said it was, right? I haven’t been to a public bathroom yet or pumped gas without gloves yet - but do I need to?  Wear gloves at the pump...?

Yay a/c!  I couldn’t do without it @climbingwife. And glad he was able to help at least.
    Edit: words

• Options
    @CharmedPam, yes "they" have said surface transmission isn't really a big problem. That being said, I still wear gloves to pump gas (I've only done it once since March). I have used public restrooms a couple of times (sometimes you just can't wait). I wouldn't go into a stall that someone just exited but the places have seemed well cleaned. It was at a convenience store, and they had lots of protocols in place for the store so I assumed the restrooms were being cleaned more regularly than normal.
  • Options
    Strawberry picking doesn't sound fun but fresh strawberries and homemade strawberry ice cream sounds wonderful!

Cool day here with less humidity so all the windows are open and I'm listening to the birds as I wfh.

Looks like I won't be back in the office until at least fall.  I'm pretty used to being home now.  I have almost 2 extra hours a day since I don't have to commute or do hair/make up/work wardrobe.  I can also nap or get something done during lunch.  It'll definitely be a transition when I go back.  

We are opening our quarantine bubble a bit and got together with 2 of my siblings family and my mom this weekend.  It was nice to see them in person, rather than Zoom.  I know my 17 yr old nephew isn't doing much social distancing so I just pray he stays healthy.  He lives with my ex-SIL and there's not much structure there.  17 yr olds also think they are indestructible.
  • Options
    I tried to come in with a good mood this morning.  I stopped and splurged for my favorite fast food breakfast and also bought it for my co-workers b/c it was her birthday yesterday (she wasn't here).  She's not super feeling it.  We usually do a float trip and this year it's just been...not great.  You end up on a packed van/bus at some point to get to the water and neither one of us really wants that.

THEN, the new software 1. still won't work and 2. I discovered that a case had been transferred to me that I had NO notice of and I can't print out a list of my current cases from the new program, so I wouldn't have caught it.  I have no idea how long I've had it either, b/c I can't check that in an audit.  This software sucks.  I'm trying not to be such a negative Nelly; it's not working.
  • Options
    I have a 4 day weekend next week too and looking forward to it. I already bought some bathing suits for my parents’ new lake house and a cool cowboy hat (and 100 spf because you don’t go to 0-100 in one day)

i had a no sugar added neapolitian ice cream in my grocery cart, but it wasn't on sale so didn’t add it. and now I think I’ll get it with all this strawberry talk. 

Yeah I think they said getting covid from surfaces isn’t as prominent as they first said it was, right? I haven’t been to a public bathroom yet or pumped gas without gloves yet - but do I need to?  Wear gloves at the pump...?

Yay a/c!  I couldn’t do without it @climbingwife. And glad he was able to help at least.
    Edit: words
    It's not the surfaces as much as a small enclosed space where people can't distance and no airflow. It sounds like people are back to taking road trips, so I'm assuming the road stops will be busy.

I'm not using gloves to pump, just sanitizing my hands after. But I do see the attendants at costco wiping down the pumps after use. Not that I really buy much gas anymore... 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, @MyNameIsNot.  The funeral thing is so, so hard.  I really don't think there's a wrong thing to do.  Do what makes you feel the most safe, even if it's staying home.  I understand where your mom is coming from, but this is not a normal time. 

I spent three hours twiddling my thumbs this morning because my work computer decided to remove antivirus overnight.  I couldn't get into the VPN or anything.  I had to wait for desktop to get to me and then it took over a half hour with the restarts and shit. 

It's Tuesday, so SSDD otherwise. 

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss @MyNameIsNot.  

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, @MyNameIsNot
  • Options
    @MyNameIsNot I am so sorry about your cousin. Going to the funeral is such a tough decision but trust your intuition. 

SSDD. DS didn't nap today so I got very little accomplished but no one is coming over, and we aren't going anywhere, so I don't really care, lol.
  • Options
    In Louisiana, we were supposed to enter Phase 3 on Friday which (I think) would have allowed retailer/grocery stores/restaurants/bars to open back to full capacity.  But in a press conference yesterday, our governor already said "nope".  28 more days in Phase 2.

Paraphrasing Gov. Edwards, "Since we have seen an uptick in hospitalizations and new cases since entering Phase 2, we will not be entering Phase 3 for at least 28 more days.

My translation of his governor-speak, since I don't have to worry about being elected/re-elected, "My fellow Louisianians.  We aren't entering Phase 3 for at least 28 days because this is what happens when you SUCK and are irresponsible.  Wear masks in public.  Social distance.  Don't throw huge-ass parties of 50+ people where no one wears masks.  And then maybe I can reconsider next month."

Interestingly enough, he has not mandated people wear masks in public because he said studies have shown when it's required by law, there is actually a decrease in mask wearing.

I also found out New Orleans specifically has a 7% mortality rate for COVID!  JFC.  There have been incidents over the last two weekends where large parties/bar gatherings have led to outbreaks in both NOLA and Baton Rouge.  Our city health advisor made the analogy of "If you're throwing a party for 100 people, look around you.  Think about which 7 people are going to die now because you threw this party." 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Vs. Florida where Desantis has stated....nothing.   He's stated that if NY wants to quarantine people who traveled from Florida that they not go into a NY nursing home.   Way to be.

We still have a vacation planned, are planning to drive pack a ton of hand sanitizer and be in the parks that have low attendance.   But if FL continues to spike I'm pulling the plug and going next year.   I did book park reservations and now we have a new resort but man oh man.  

The kids are practicing face mask wearing now which is good.   We head to the marina and go to the pool and they have to wear the masks anytime they aren't in the pool or eating.   Chiquito has an orange mask lined with Grateful Dead bears on a tie dye background.   It's so awesome and he knows its his and he wears it.   I have masks in the house for the grown ups too.  

FWIW, I am not wearing gloves when I've done grocery or gas runs BUT I disinfect right after.   Last week I wiped down my car handle, seat, steering wheel, shift and seatbelt once I got home.   And I think now that it's in the 80s here in CT and my car is probably getting hotter than that I feel better that the virus is going to die in the sun. 
  • Options
    @MyNameIsNot I'm so sorry about your cousin.  I'm sure it's a very hard decision, but don't let anyone talk you into anything you're not comfortable with.  The risk of travel by car may be low, but there's still a risk.  

SSDD here.  Working, watching the babe climb the stairs (his new favorite thing), trying to keep the house clean (lol), and also keep up on yardwork.  The weather is gorgeous today so i'm excited to go for a long walk at some point today.  
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    @MyNameIsNot I'm so sorry about your cousin.  I'm sure it's a very hard decision, but don't let anyone talk you into anything you're not comfortable with.  The risk of travel by car may be low, but there's still a risk.  
    I agree, and I think there’s a risk at the funeral too. I’m really sorry you’re going through this @MyNameIsNot. Whatever you decide is right for you is the right call. 
  • Options
    I just signed up for Slate Plus!  Not really because I wanted to, but because they must have started limiting how many articles you can read for free.  At least I don't think they used to do that because I haven't run into it before.  But now that I know it's only 35 bucks/year, I'm more excited about it.  Now I can read the "special" Prudie and other advice column letters where they let you read the question, but you need to be a Slate Plus member to read the answer, lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    edited June 2020
    I'm sorry for your family's loss @MyNameIsNot

Strawberry picking was fun.  It was about a 20-acre farm and there were 2-3 other families there, so I felt safe.  The ice cream is phenomenal.  Omg @short+sassy I visited CA (San Fran, Moneterrey area) a few years ago and the fresh produce was the highlight.  I mean, I knew a lot was grown in CA because of what I saw in the supermarket, but seeing fresh fruit stands off of roads, at farmer's markets, in stores...wow, it was glorious. 

ETA okay the CA trip was actually in 2010...feels like a 2-3 years ago, yikes. 
  • Options
    OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    edited June 2020
    ETA: MNIN - I'm sorry for your loss.

Busy at work, but its quiet at home and I only need to take care of myself!  Weekend was good and H was totally surprised by the homemade biscuits and bacon gravy I made for breakfast!  He also loved his gifts, especially the one of a 2 hour long nap from DD!

We are heading to the shore on Thursday evening, but will be sticking to my parents house for the most part.  People are not socially distancing or mask wearing that great down there.  So we will get some take out and maybe try outdoor dining at weird times.  I will work on Friday from the house, but taking Monday off.