After a 10 year engagement, our dream Wedding was scheduled October 11, 2020 in the Bronx NY for 120 people. Covid had other plans.
Some guests are now afraid to travel by plane or stay in hotels. Some are in high risk groups and some are having money issues due to unemployment. We were also hit hard financially and are presently assisting family members still laid off.
We postponed for now and will be speaking to the venue to reschedule. We are considering having 2 smaller celebrations in 2021 scaled down. ( Florida and then Northeast ) so that risks to guests will be lessened in case a vaccine isnt found by then. Maybe a brunch where there is no dancing and social distancing is easier.
When we spoke to the venue, they said that if we completely cancel, we will lose our deposit.
Can we pursue legal action to retrieve our deposit?
Anyone else in the same boat? Am I simply screwed? The venue has not incurred any cost. They haven't planned our event yet, and we are giving ample notice.
After 10 years and with current world events, a quiet elopement sounds like a much better deal.