Wedding Woes

Early Friday

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited June 2020 in Wedding Woes
Because I’ve been up since 4:30.  I cannot go back to sleep! Watching youtube vids all morning. Some suggestions.

#couplegoals.  Seriously LOVE these 2 couples.  It really puts my own love life in perspective and I won’t settle on anyone who doesn’t make me laugh like these couples do. 

-The Holderness Family
-Team Balmert

We could hang. She’s a makeup artist who does a segment called “mystery & makeup”. I feel like she’s a really good story teller, and has a great voice for it.  Plus, I like watching people apply makeup apparently? 

- Bailey Sarian

Re: Early Friday

• ei34ei34 member
    Was just about to post a Friday, glad i did one last check @CharmedPam
    Swimming in the pool today, laying low this weekend.  Hope everyone has some nice plans!
  • I'm getting my hair done tomorrow. So excited! My stylist is coming to my house. Goodbye grey hairs! 

Sunday I'm going to my brother's to swim and eat. That should be fun. 
  • @CharmedPam If you like The Holderness Family, check them out on IG. Also check out Dude Dad. He's hilarious, his wife is great and his kids are adorable. He also collaborates with the dad from The Holderness Family and a couple other mid-west guys - they have a video called Husbands of Target that's hilarious.
  • We're finally getting a chilly rainy day and I am here for it.  I have a few tasks to get finished up this morning then I'm taking my summer hours this afternoon to just play with the babe and get some inside things done while he (hopefully) naps.  

What your all's thoughts on for profit colleges?  I had a recruiter reach out from one for a position that sounds pretty perfect and we had a great initial conversation. I've checked out tuition rates and they're pretty consistent with most traditional schools in the midwest. But I feel a little hung up on the ethics of the business model, although I can't put my finger totally on why?  Is it different than profiting on any other "product" - aka capitalism in general?  Am I super overthinking?  I'm thinking maybe someone else can articulate thought better than i'm doing for myself.  
  • Lol Holderness and Dude Dad are my faves!

If you're into cleaning vids, I have a few suggestions.

Can I shamelessly plug my youtube channel? Bunnycart

So I'm home today but I'm back in the office part time.
    Bonus is things are just easier to do. Downside is I have NOTHING saved, so I cannot sign into TK/WW

We were hoping to visit M's nanny this weekend, but she's going away to M's uncle's cottage this weekend. Which is fine. We'll go another weekend.

Saturday is suppose to be crummy weather, so likely being a cleaning day.

Sunday won't be greatest weather, but we're hoping to go to the splash pad in the morning. Might try to go for a walk also. We need to get more detergent, so maybe after BabyKitten's nap on Sunday we will go.
  • Side note - we may have to take Angel into the vet. Next time I pick up his food, I'm going to talk to them. We think Angel might be having vision issues.

This was always a possibility, he has these weird strings on his eyes that the vet said YEARS AGO could cause vision issues but it was hard to tell. It could cause cataracts or something similar.
    Now we're wondering if that's the issue :(

He'll be 15 in October.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited June 2020
    15 years is a looong time!  My family and I had cats that old growing up. And ex’s dog is over 15 (we’re not sure since he’s a rescue) 

Thanks for the recs.  Gonna look those up now.

eta words

• I'm relieved that the weekend is almost here. It's been another rough week, and next week is shaping up to be pretty ugly also. I've decided that I'm going to apply for a role at another company, so tomorrow I'm going to work on polishing my resume. I haven't been actively looking, but something popped up on my linkedin this week that's right in line with what I hoped my next role to be, with a company I'd be comfortable moving to in the current climate. 

Also planning to go tubing tomorrow, but otherwise finally getting my weekend free! I'm really looking forward to having a day to just hang around home and relax. 
  • @Casadena, I don't think there is anything ethically wrong with a for-profit college.  Do I think college/trade school education, in general, is shady when it comes to how massively they outpace inflation?  Yes.  Do I think health insurance, that does the same thing, is even more grotesque than this, especially because there is substantially less choice?  Yes.  Would I work in either one of those industries or the utility companies that are evil, unfettered monopolies in my area for the right job?  Also yes.

Plus, to me, private colleges are much more within the typical supply/demand forces of an economy.  Don't like the price?  Then a potential student can choose a different university or even a much cheaper (though still too spendy) state college.

I'm actually doing a ton of mystery shops today and am pretty excited about it.  Obviously I couldn't do much of that for the two months of the Stay At Home order.  So it's nice to start making a little extra cash again.  Plus they are all pretty quick, including the reports.  Three convenience stores (same assignments/company) and two fast-foods (same assignments).

On Sat., we're eating at one of our favorite restaurants.  Our first dine-in experience together, since the shut down.  They are having a $55 prix-fixe menu that includes THREE lobster dishes!  Yes!  One the one hand a spendy dinner.  But on the other hand, it's a bargain for what I'll get and I can't resist.  My H doesn't like lobster but they are serving their normal menu also.  At least his meal will be cheaper, lol.

Next week, the Cheesecake Factory has a great deal going on.  It's two double cheeseburgers, two orders of fries, two soft drinks, and a single slice of Oreo Dream Extreme Cheesecake for $20.  Also good for take-out or delivery.  I'm picking that up for dinner next Fri.  It runs from Mon. 6/29-(I think) Sun. 7/5.

Our power went out at work for 2 hours yesterday afternoon.  Three transformers on the power pole closest to my side of the building blew!  Startling and loud, let me tell ya, lol.  But now I'm trying to make up for lost time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m ready for the weekend. I couldn’t sleep until 12:30 last night. And ugh, I dropped my phone on our walk last night and cracked the screen. Boo. Otherwise nothing else is really new over here. Big plans for the weekend include more deep cleaning and organizing the house. I will probably have to take the rescue kitten in for another antibiotic injection. I really hope if it needs more I can ask to take some home in ready to use syringes that I can refrigerate. Because driving back and forth daily to the rescue would not be the business. Kitten is doing so much better though. 

I think we’ve also come up with an alternative travel plan for our Yosemite trip. I’d like to try Mammoth instead. It’s close to the park if we want to do a day trip, and it has a ton of hikes around. Plus if we’re in town we can get dinner, or we can rent an Airbnb and have a kitchen for cooking. 

• levioosa said:
    @Casadena I have some big issues with for profit colleges. Rarely (if ever) do they care about students. It’s all about the money. Which also has the unfortunate result of “pushing” people through who might not otherwise deserve to pass. Depending on what exactly the degree is in that can be dangerous. I have a lot of ethical issues with them. Depending on how you were going to finance it, traditional finance methods might not work and you could end up purely out of pocket, or with private loans with higher rates. We’ve also had several for profit schools get shut down out of nowhere in my area. All of those students who were in the middle of their program lost out on all of their credits. The credits didn’t transfer, and because the school was shut down/out of business/declared bankruptcy there was nothing they could do to get their money back for tuition.

I’m pretty bitter with our whole education system and academia in general so you might want to take my bitterness towards them with a grain of salt. I can’t say private colleges are all that much better, tbh.  
    I agree with all of this; from the perspective of a former professor many (most?) for profit colleges are predatory and don’t often provide what they promise to students and there is very little recourse. There are currently many lawsuits and complaints filed against for-profits that have gone out of business or engaged in shady business practices at the expense of the students.

You also aren’t going to get the same quality of instruction at a for-profit. Many faculty will not teach at these because the pay is terrible, they require faculty to teach tons of courses (with tons of students in each course), and offer very little job protection for faculty. This isn’t of course universal, but in general you’re not going to get the time/attention/education at a for-profit as a non-profit. 

They’re also no bound by the same federal guidelines (because they typically don’t accept federal money or accept it in the same way) so oversight over their business models and operations is not the same as non profits. They’re also not usually governed by the same accreditation organizations as nonprofits so you don’t have the same standards, or curriculum review as a nonprofit. 

I think there are a lot of issues with for profits and even though tuition is the same the education is definitely not. 
  • Happy Friday! We get out at 3 today (yay summer hours) so I’m basically doing mandatory trainings until then. I’m so checked out it’s really bad. I still have another month to go! 

H is going to camp for the weekend. Probably the last of his trips before the baby comes. I’m planning to nap, read, and maybe some laundry while he’s gone. I’m also way too lazy to put things away but I probably should start actually putting things in the nursery. The weather is supposed to be bad, which I think supports my napping and reading plans! 
  • Agree on the for-profit schools. I can't help but think of trumpiversity, but there are tons out there like that. My loser cousin (I'm not just being mean, he's literally in jail right now for scamming old people) was involved in a scam with a for-profit school a while ago. They were getting people to enroll in these programs with no intention of actually going through the program, but helping them go through the federal aid process to take out enormous student loans. The school would take the tuition and the "student" would take the max book and living expenses. These were mostly unsophisticated people who didn't understand anything about education and loans, but never had any intention of studying or repaying the loans. 

In other news, did anyone know that we're in the middle of a saharan dust storm? I've been trying to figure out why I've had allergies for the last two days and just figured it out. I didn't see that one coming. 
  • Agree on the for-profit schools. I can't help but think of trumpiversity, but there are tons out there like that. My loser cousin (I'm not just being mean, he's literally in jail right now for scamming old people) was involved in a scam with a for-profit school a while ago. They were getting people to enroll in these programs with no intention of actually going through the program, but helping them go through the federal aid process to take out enormous student loans. The school would take the tuition and the "student" would take the max book and living expenses. These were mostly unsophisticated people who didn't understand anything about education and loans, but never had any intention of studying or repaying the loans. 

In other news, did anyone know that we're in the middle of a saharan dust storm? I've been trying to figure out why I've had allergies for the last two days and just figured it out. I didn't see that one coming. 
    2020 is just too much. 
  • thank you all - as usual you were able to put into words some of the ickiness I feel about the company especially given the industries that they are involved in (mainly healthcare).  I'll probably keep interviewing as long as they ask me to practice (I'm rusty!) but will not shy away from asking some super pointed and direct questions.  Especially since they reached out to me.  
  • Today is a shit show. I walked into work and instantly was bombarded with a ton of staffing issues. Patients are being super rude. And my mom just texted me that my dad came back positive for covid. I didn’t even know he had been testing. And now I’m super worried because he’s had a heart attack and he has uncontrolled diabetes. My mom is extremely immunosuppressed and out of remission for her leukemia. And that means my elderly grandparents were exposed when everyone went over for Father’s Day. So my attempt to be conservative and avoid putting them at risk was in vain. 

• levioosa said:
    Today is a shit show. I walked into work and instantly was bombarded with a ton of staffing issues. Patients are being super rude. And my mom just texted me that my dad came back positive for covid. I didn’t even know he had been testing. And now I’m super worried because he’s had a heart attack and he has uncontrolled diabetes. My mom is extremely immunosuppressed and out of remission for her leukemia. And that means my elderly grandparents were exposed when everyone went over for Father’s Day. So my attempt to be conservative and avoid putting them at risk was in vain. 
    @levioosa - I'm so sorry for your Dad's positive diagnosis.  Prayers for him and all your family.
  • @levioosa I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this.  Definitely thinking of you and your family. 
  • We are still working on cleaning/organizing our space, but we're making really good progress.  I'd like to get that finished this weekend.  A really good friend is coming into town on Sunday and we're having lunch with her and a few other friends, socially distanced and masked at a local park that shouldn't be too busy on an early Sunday.

Then, I think I'm adding "cook dinner at home again" to my "be better Varuna" list.  Food is so fundamental to so many things, I think it's really necessary.  This week was "no drinking".  I kept to it really well except one day.  A friend in our bubble took us out to a beautiful dinner (at a local restaurant that did everything re: covid right and probably the last time we can eat out for awhile) and I had wine with dinner and an afterdinner cocktail.  My goal has been not to drink as the actual activity b/c of stress, boredom, or whatever, so I felt like fancy dinner was okay (and discovered a tasty new Riesling).  Journaling has been helping and I've had some decent unloading and thoughts to help me move forward.

Otherwise, SSDD at work.  I'm basically not working today, but next week I'm putting my timer back on and forcing myself to focus on this terrible Terrible TERRIBLE program and work.
  • Sorry for possibly the dumb question, but I thought @Casadena was talking about a private college.  Is that different from a for-profit college?

Definitely a lot of side-eye for "fly-by-night" educational pop-ups.  That might change my mind.  But it seems like most colleges are private colleges, have good reputations, and have been around for decades.  Are most of them not-for-profit or something?  Because they sure don't seem like it, lol.  But I never looked into it.  For me, a state school was the very obvious choice because it was so much cheaper however you slice it.  Plus I got a typical BS in Business Admin.  Nothing so specialized that the college I chose mattered much.

My only little bit of experience was, years ago, I had a mystery shop at ITT Tech.  Which was a long-standing, well-known trade-school (they also had bachelor programs) and I was a little horrified when even they bit the dust.

Anyway, I pretended I had an associate's degree and wanted to finish my bachelor's.  I remember being shocked during my "interest interview" when they told me it was unlikely they'd accept any of the credits I already had and it was also unlikely that another college would accept their credits.  But I could earn up to a year of credits with my "life experience", smh.

Had I actually been interested and that was my "real" story, I would have gone screaming into the night, lol.    Like I'm really going to take an extra 1-2 years of schooling because THEY'RE sleazy and won't accept my credits from an accredited university nor would their credits transfer elsewhere.  As it was, I had to quickly fix my shocked face and stop myself from blurting out, "OMG!  Why would anyone sign up for your bachelor's program then?"

See?  Mystery shopping isn't always the easy gig it appears to be, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Levioosa - I'm sorry your dad tested positive.  I hope that it is a quick course of it with no longer term issues.  I'm praying your mom will stay negative.  

Casadena - It seems you've made up your mind.  But another thing to consider is that (crossing all crossables!) Dems will take back control over Dept of Ed.  Obama was cracking down on for-profit colleges and even forgiving tuition of students left in the lurch by quickly closed for-profit colleges.  So assuming Biden is winning (Dear God - Let it be true!), his Dept of Ed will reverse course and go back to making sure they aren't harming their students.

I'm down the shore and its gorgeous down here right now!  I'm working from here and have a zoom call at 3 to go over our reopening guidelines.  Seems like we will be in-office July 6.  They brought back our furloughed employees and they do 3 days per week, so I figure we will be doing something similar.

We have some plans for dinner out and mini golf tonight.  We will do dinner early, hopefully beating the rush of people coming down, then my niece works at the mini golf and ice cream place - so hoping that will be free!  LOL!

Saturday we will stay in, maybe the beach.  Sunday we will go to a favorite ice cream place.  Monday H & I are both off and we will head to the Cape May Brewery when DD goes down for naptime!

Happy Weekend WW!
  • levioosa said:
    @Casadena I have some big issues with for profit colleges. Rarely (if ever) do they care about students. It’s all about the money. Which also has the unfortunate result of “pushing” people through who might not otherwise deserve to pass. Depending on what exactly the degree is in that can be dangerous. I have a lot of ethical issues with them. Depending on how you were going to finance it, traditional finance methods might not work and you could end up purely out of pocket, or with private loans with higher rates. We’ve also had several for profit schools get shut down out of nowhere in my area. All of those students who were in the middle of their program lost out on all of their credits. The credits didn’t transfer, and because the school was shut down/out of business/declared bankruptcy there was nothing they could do to get their money back for tuition.

I’m pretty bitter with our whole education system and academia in general so you might want to take my bitterness towards them with a grain of salt. I can’t say private colleges are all that much better, tbh.  
    I agree with all of this; from the perspective of a former professor many (most?) for profit colleges are predatory and don’t often provide what they promise to students and there is very little recourse. There are currently many lawsuits and complaints filed against for-profits that have gone out of business or engaged in shady business practices at the expense of the students.

You also aren’t going to get the same quality of instruction at a for-profit. Many faculty will not teach at these because the pay is terrible, they require faculty to teach tons of courses (with tons of students in each course), and offer very little job protection for faculty. This isn’t of course universal, but in general you’re not going to get the time/attention/education at a for-profit as a non-profit. 

They’re also no bound by the same federal guidelines (because they typically don’t accept federal money or accept it in the same way) so oversight over their business models and operations is not the same as non profits. They’re also not usually governed by the same accreditation organizations as nonprofits so you don’t have the same standards, or curriculum review as a nonprofit. 

I think there are a lot of issues with for profits and even though tuition is the same the education is definitely not. 
    To the bolded. This happened to a friend of mine who was going to nursing school at a for-profit. She did graduate just before the school closed (the students still in the programs were SOL). The school wasn't accredited for nursing, so my friend had a really hard time finding a job even though she passed her boards. The hospitals all wanted a degree from an accredited program (understandably). Even though she is a good friend of mine a wonder about how well educated in nursing she actually is. I have a back ground in biology with medical research done in my job. It amazes me at some of things that she doesn't understand about how disease work. I feel really bad for her because she went back to school after a divorce and didn't have a ton of money or time to spend getting a degree.
  • Sorry for possibly the dumb question, but I thought @Casadena was talking about a private college.  Is that different from a for-profit college?

Definitely a lot of side-eye for "fly-by-night" educational pop-ups.  That might change my mind.  But it seems like most colleges are private colleges, have good reputations, and have been around for decades.  Are most of them not-for-profit or something?  Because they sure don't seem like it, lol.  But I never looked into it.  For me, a state school was the very obvious choice because it was so much cheaper however you slice it.  Plus I got a typical BS in Business Admin.  Nothing so specialized that the college I chose mattered much.

My only little bit of experience was, years ago, I had a mystery shop at ITT Tech.  Which was a long-standing, well-known trade-school (they also had bachelor programs) and I was a little horrified when even they bit the dust.

Anyway, I pretended I had an associate's degree and wanted to finish my bachelor's.  I remember being shocked during my "interest interview" when they told me it was unlikely they'd accept any of the credits I already had and it was also unlikely that another college would accept their credits.  But I could earn up to a year of credits with my "life experience", smh.

Had I actually been interested and that was my "real" story, I would have gone screaming into the night, lol.    Like I'm really going to take an extra 1-2 years of schooling because THEY'RE sleazy and won't accept my credits from an accredited university nor would their credits transfer elsewhere.  As it was, I had to quickly fix my shocked face and stop myself from blurting out, "OMG!  Why would anyone sign up for your bachelor's program then?"

See?  Mystery shopping isn't always the easy gig it appears to be, lol.
    Yes, private colleges are VERY different than for profit. Private colleges are still not for profit, have accrediting bodies, have a lot of federal oversight. For profit colleges have very few of those things. Even Harvard, with (one of the?) the largest endowments in the country is non-profit, meaning all the money it earns from tuition has to go to operating expenses, capital planning, endowments, etc and not profits for a board or shareholders. 

Not all for profits are fly by not, but all are businesses where students are customers driving profit. This is a terrible model for education. 
  • levioosa said:

To the bolded. This happened to a friend of mine who was going to nursing school at a for-profit. She did graduate just before the school closed (the students still in the programs were SOL). The school wasn't accredited for nursing, so my friend had a really hard time finding a job even though she passed her boards. The hospitals all wanted a degree from an accredited program (understandably). Even though she is a good friend of mine a wonder about how well educated in nursing she actually is. I have a back ground in biology with medical research done in my job. It amazes me at some of things that she doesn't understand about how disease work. I feel really bad for her because she went back to school after a divorce and didn't have a ton of money or time to spend getting a degree.
    That’s really sad that it happened to your friend, and unfortunately it’s happened to so many people! 

Accreditation and regulations are there to not just protect students but to signal to employers there were standards met through the degree program. This is so important especially in the medical field! 
  • levioosa said:
    Today is a shit show. I walked into work and instantly was bombarded with a ton of staffing issues. Patients are being super rude. And my mom just texted me that my dad came back positive for covid. I didn’t even know he had been testing. And now I’m super worried because he’s had a heart attack and he has uncontrolled diabetes. My mom is extremely immunosuppressed and out of remission for her leukemia. And that means my elderly grandparents were exposed when everyone went over for Father’s Day. So my attempt to be conservative and avoid putting them at risk was in vain. 
    Damn, that really sucks! Do you think it was FSIL that infected everyone? Is she feeling differently about her behavior now? 

I really hope your parents and grandparents have a mild case and don’t develop any severe symptoms. 
  • @levioosa sorry to hear about your dad. Symptoms are so odd, he could have been requested testing at dr suggestion
  • Apparently I now have to log my daily stuff and have a meeting next week.

Guhhhh I need to get on top of things
  • levioosa said:
    Damn, that really sucks! Do you think it was FSIL that infected everyone? Is she feeling differently about her behavior now? 

I really hope your parents and grandparents have a mild case and don’t develop any severe symptoms. 
    This was my family get together, so FSIL wasn’t in contact with them at all. I guess my dad has had six coworkers test positive now. He’s had pretty mild symptoms considering. He did have chest pain which scared him. I just amazon primed an O2 sensor to them since my other one is at my grandparent’s house now. I’m really worried about my mom who was already struggling with cellulitis last week. She’s just so fragile and her body can’t take many insults. 

• levioosa said:
    OMG!  I am so sorry to hear that.  I am praying and hoping fervently for your family that your dad will be okay and only have a mild case.  And no one else in your family contracts it or at least doesn't have a serious case.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker