Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Help with change the date

Hello! As an lucky/unlucky corona bride, my husband and I got married on our original wedding date of May 16, 2020. We have postponed our reception until May 22nd, 2021 (fingers crossed) in addition to a vow renewal. I know a vow renewal at our one year anniversary is too soon and might seem strange, but given the current pandemic, I feel like anything can go. With that said, could anyone help me with wording on a new "change-the-date" to send out to my guests? We already sent a postponement announcement before our wedding. Is a change the date even necessary and should I just skip it and continue on with new wedding invitations next year? Thank you!!

Re: Help with change the date

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hello! As an lucky/unlucky corona bride, my husband and I got married on our original wedding date of May 16, 2020. We have postponed our reception until May 22nd, 2021 (fingers crossed) in addition to a vow renewal. I know a vow renewal at our one year anniversary is too soon and might seem strange, but given the current pandemic, I feel like anything can go. With that said, could anyone help me with wording on a new "change-the-date" to send out to my guests? We already sent a postponement announcement before our wedding. Is a change the date even necessary and should I just skip it and continue on with new wedding invitations next year? Thank you!!

I would agree that under these circumstances, friends and family will absolutely be ready and willing to celebrate your marriage. 
    Perhaps you could send out cards announcing your marriage and include information/date for your vow renewal.  You could also call it a reaffirmation ceremony. 
    I agree you could also wait and just start fresh in the new year.  A lot can change and perhaps you and your husband will decide that the type and size of event you originally considered no longer appeals to you.
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2020
    I don't think it's necessary to send out essentially a cancellation when everyone already knows that 5/16/20 is cancelled. You could do a reschedule date announcement in line with a save the date: "X & Y were married in a private ceremony on Z, please save the date for a renewal and reception on 5/22. Formal invitation to follow."

If you just want to circulate the 5/22 date by word of mouth and then send the formal renewal invitation next spring, that would be fine too. 

ETA: Agree with MobKaz. It may be wise to keep it informal for now. Expectations are that everything will be reopen without restrictions by next May, but it's possible that you may want or need a smaller event next year. Once you send out notification to everyone, you get roped into not being able to cut them from the guest list.
  • Options
    We received a new date card just this week that gave the new date and for more information to go the couple's website. They are getting married that day so everything was postponed. We of course had already received the original invitation so none of the addresses and times were included. It was more like a save the date.