Wedding Woes
Options

Nothing, except maybe DTMFA

Dear Prudence,

My partner and I are not married, but we do live together. He has a 19-year-old daughter, “Kay,” whom I’m fairly close with, and two 12-year-old twins with a different ex. I don’t know the twins very well. Their mother lives in another city and doesn’t like me, so my boyfriend travels to see them by himself. I don’t understand why she dislikes me. They divorced long before we met, and he’d had other girlfriends before me, but I try to be supportive. My boyfriend’s ex lost her job in March, so he’s paying for child support and her mortgage, plus utilities and groceries. We both make a good living, so we can handle the extra costs.

Recently Kay’s car and laptop were stolen. Neither of her parents had any extra money to spare, but I did, so I bought her a new laptop and a used car. Kay told the twins, who told their mother, who got in touch with me (I didn’t even know she had my phone number) with a wish list for the twins. She wanted new iPads, private tutoring, and insisted I “step up as a stepmom to ALL the kids.” I didn’t respond, but I did show my partner and ask that he talk to his ex about boundaries. He thought she had been a little “out of line,” but that I could afford it, and that it wasn’t a big deal. I told him that we weren’t married, I wasn’t a stepmom to his twins, and that this totally went against his previous instructions to “be patient” and “give everyone [on that side of the family] space.” I feel like he’s trying to change the script halfway through the show. I have a relationship with Kay, and she needed the laptop for school and the car to get to work. I don’t have a relationship with the twins, mostly because their mother never wanted me to have one. The last time I tried to give them a birthday gift (an autographed book), she started sobbing and made them return it. I think my income and my relationship with Kay are irrelevant—I resent being informed it’s my responsibility to be a “stepmom” when I’ve only ever been told to back off before. What should I do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Nothing, except maybe DTMFA

• Options
    Ooo, either BF steps way the hell up (b/c I have no doubt this ex has pulled stunts before with Kay's mom probably and any other GF) or DTMFA.  You do what you want with your money and no one gets to tell you otherwise.
  • Options
    Nobody has the right to tell you how to spend your money, least of all someone who has consistently pushed you away the whole time you've known them. 

If your boyfriend will not stand up for you or work to come up with a more reasonable arrangement with his ex, then you may have to end things with him, because it'll be clear that he can't or won't put what's right for you first.
  • Options
    OMG, it's people like that ex who give the human race a bad name!

So, first.  The b/f is going above and beyond by paying child support AND the household bills.  In my opinion, wtf is up with that.  I could see giving the ex more money than usual, but child support is literally to already be helping with the household bills.  But, whatever.  To each their own.

Then, the LW is so GENEROUS.  Unbelievably generous!  To buy her b/f's adult daughter a laptop and a CAR.  A freakin' CAR!  Because she felt those were necessities for the woman.  And the ex has the audacity to "expect" her to give the twins LUXURY items.  Especially since she does not even know these children.  At least Kay is someone she has a relationship with.

Again, to each their own.  But I think getting the daughter a car was way too much.

But even more alarming is that the b/f doesn't even seem to fully understand how outrageous his ex is being.  And actually seems to have at least a little agreement with her that LW has the money and it's NBD.  Isn't that nice how it's "NBD" when it's someone else's money, smh?  He needs to change his attitude and put a complete stop to the ex's demands and to her contacting the LW.  Because right now he is tight-rope walking on DTMFA line.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd be out of there.  I don't understand the last sentence of the first paragraph followed by the second sentence of the second paragraph.  Does LW's bf have extra money or not?  But, really, that aside, LW's partner's reaction to the twins' mom was wrong.  He shouldn't expect LW to spring for laptops, cars (???), iPads, tutoring, etc., just because she can.  Where does that end?!
  • Options
    I would nope right out of this entire situation. Ex’s request is out of line, BFs response is out of line, and no one besides LW can decide how she spends her money. Just because she can afford something does not mean she has any obligation to buy it for anyone. BF and Ex and out of their minds if they think that’s okay.  
  • Options
    So when you tell Kay that you're happy to continue mentoring her, maintain contact and talk about ways that you two can continue together even in times of social distancing. 

If her father does not defend you 100% against his ex then you only need to salvage the relationship with the person who actually presents as worthy of having one with you. 
  • Options
    Neither BF nor his ex have any right to tell you how to spend your money. I think BF and his ex need a firm no. You can keep being friendly with Kay, but I think some boundaries with her are going to be necessary too.
  • Options
    Big difference in those two situations!  LW is NOT the step-mom, she's Dad's GF at this point and has a relationship with the 21yo while not allowed a relationship with the twins, that's the key point in the "treat step kids as your own".  I'm guessing if she had a relationship with the twins of her own and could afford to do so she'd probably be just as generous with them but where she's kept further than arm's length away, something just seems to not be adding up... 
  • Options
    WHO CAN AFFORD TO SUPPORT 2 HOUSEHOLDS?!  If he's paying for rent, groceries, and utilities, WTF is she spending CS on?  I'd be telling her to use some of that to get the kids the iPads or whatever.  

This is a very confusing situation and I wonder what is really going on here.  

But yeah, this is a shitshow and it's not going to get better from what LW has said here.  Run LW, RUN AWAY!  And keep your money.  You can still be friends with Kay because she's 19 and that can't be stopped.  Wow.  I'm just...yeah.