Wedding Woes
Options

Terrible Tuesday

Welp, my city actually passed a masking ordinance.  I'm still in shock about it.  I'm also quite sure there's some "about to become viral videos" floating around, b/c wooooooooooooooooooow at some of the shit people let come out of their mouths with their real life birth name and address attached.

That's about all I got.  SSDD at work, life, and home.

Re: Terrible Tuesday

• Options
    We've been masking for about ....2 weeks?
    City is trying to still get something in place to enforce it but also not force it for those who can't wear?
    Health officials have been on the news talking about face shields for those who cannot wear masks.

Today is M's bday and I have been annoying a.f because it's also Spongebob Squarepants' bday lmfao
  • Options
    It's a week of appointments for us.   Chiquita had her physical yesterday (up an inch and a half and one pound) and I have a hair appointment Friday.   I was seriously impressed with the pedi's office and procedures implemented (like no waiting room and check in from the car, masks required and temp checks for the kiddo and myself upon arrival).     I have resisted dental appointments because while the equipment is sterilized there's no way to do that with a mask and be anywhere near socially distant.   I may try to get the kids and myself in now while we're doing OK because 6 months from now is likely to be a different story AND Chiquita is at that age where we need to keep an eye on orthodontic needs.   If she gets my mouth it's likely.

DH and I are seriously considering an addition on the house.   We have a fairly small kitchen and we like to cook.   The floor and counters are used as storage and I loathe it.   I want more space, modern (or at least classic) looking areas and with a kiddo possibly in college in 7 years we should do that now before I need to start selling plasma to pay for it. 

Work is SSDD.    
  • Options
    I'm still house sitting for my brother, and good lord, it's so freaking nice to have an entire house to myself. I feel more peaceful than I've felt in a long time. 

Sort of SSDD. Working from home at my brother's. I might go for a swim at lunch time. 
    That’s definitely the break you need! How long do you get to house sit for?
  • Options
    SSDD, work, tired, have a lot to do and little motivation to do it. 

Really nothing else exciting going on. Putting things together for the baby, trying to sleep as much as possible, and really ready to be done with work.  

Oh, and we finally did our taxes. We owed federal and are getting back in state but it’s pretty much a wash. That’s our big excitement for the week. 
  • Options
    Another SSDD here. DD's scan was super quick and easy. She's borderline severe on their scale for plagiocephaly so I'm fairly confident insurance will cover the helmet. Treatment lasts 13 weeks, at which point they re-evaluate for another possible 2-6 weeks. Poor thing is going to have this helmet on during the hottest part of the summer so we'll have to do the best we can to keep her cool. Hopefully we'll get it on her in the next 2-3 weeks. I've already been scouring Etsy for cute decals to put on it.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yay for the mask requirement @VarunaTT
    My kids' pediatrician's office has been phenomenal too @banana468 we've gone more times these past few months than I'd like but felt safe each time
    Wonderful to hear about the peaceful house-sitting @climbingwife

Taking the kids to my parents' pool in the next few minutes.  Otherwise SSDD

• Options
    Louisiana also rolled back on some of the rules over the weekend.  Masks were already required in NOLA and a few other places.  Now they are required statewide.  But the big news?  Bars have been shut back down.  After only being open for a month (sigh).  They can still serve drinks or food "to go", but people can't be inside them anymore.  That's probably a weird concept for some of you from other areas, lol.  But we've always allowed open containers on the streets, as long as they aren't in glass bottles.  There were 35 outbreaks and 400 people who contracted COVID statewide that all got contact traced back to bars.

Restaurants are still open for indoor dining.  But they were allowed to be at 50% capacity and that's been rolled back to 25% capacity.  Gatherings were previously allowed to be up to 100 people.  That's been rolled back to 50.  In NOLA, it had been gatherings up to 50 people, now it's rolled back to 25.

This even caused changes in my workplace.  No one here has been required to wear a mask at any time, though most people do in common areas.  Now, we have to be wearing a mask when we enter/leave the building and in the elevators.  Oddly enough, we still aren't required to wear them in common areas once you get to a floor, though it's "highly encouraged".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CT is requiring masks in public and if you're one of the visitors to the state from one of the 19 hot states then you need to check in at the border.  Many private locations are also requiring masks and our restaurants do not have indoor dining.   We can do take out and have thus far but haven't sat down at any place.

Our anniversary is in a month and I'm sort of considering the idea of taking the boat to a place where we can order from the dock.   The idea of going "out" to eat though is not really making me excited. 
  • Options
    We are all about the mask life here! Everyone at all times inside places or outside if you can’t be distant  They were considering indoor dining but looked at the south and were like “oh hell no” so we aren’t doing that for the foreseeable future. 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2020
    Awesome that you’re house sitting @climbingwife!  
    @cupcait927, 13 weeks wont be to bad.  The heat will suck, sure.  Great idea to decorate it! My nephew almost had to have a helmet but they kept a close eye on him (the docs did) and decided against it. 

SSDD.  I think I’m addicted to my diy no chip nail polish.  I have 7 already, 3 in the mail that should arrive tomorrow and I ordered 3 more colors Just yesterday that continuely go out of stock, so I *had* to grab them without a sale.  It’s like i’m obsessed with these colors! I may need intervention soon. 

• Options
    I need to do my taxes today. I'm hoping it's a wash as well. 

My sister just came to get DefConn so they can go have fun for foster nephew's bday.  

I need to look up the meeting minutes from our school board meeting yesterday. A major Indy school system has announced they're starting virtually.  The state teachers assn is meeting with the governor today.  I think there are some lawmakers asking our governor to pass a statewide mask mandate.  There is one in the county where Indy is located. 

My foot is starting to feel better and my gait is normalizing.  I do need a lot of heel padding to walk, but my calf is getting the rest it needs. 

I didn't ask DH how his poison ivy was doing this morning.  He went to work with a pharmacy of supplies to keep the worst parts of it covered and healing.  We went shopping yesterday to get supplies for him after picking up his new prescriptions and random strangers were so nice in providing tips and home remedies we hadn't come up with to combat his rash.  

I refuse to post this question on FB because I don't want to know who's going to be a dick about it, but anyone have tips for combating mask acne?  I almost wonder if I need to keep face wipes in my purse to use on my face as soon as I get in my car after taking off my mask.  I am looking forward to cooler weather that will make mask wearing easier on my face, because I'm a sweaty Betty and the mask just makes it worse. 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 It's so funny that you asked that question because I kept seeing news articles yesterday talking about mask acne and how to combat it. I'll have to see if I can find them again.

My part of NY state is still very much complying with the mask order when indoors. You are starting to see people get a little more lax but the majority of people are wearing them. Indoor dining is allowed, but at limited capacity (though a new Mexican restaurant just opened over the weekend and it was jam packed with people every night. they need to be careful). Takeout food is still available and you can still do takeout alcohol, which I hope becomes a thing permanently. Anyone coming from states with high levels of infection have to quarantine, which means my BIL won't be coming home this year to meet the baby.

The biggest issue is people out on boats and beaches. I live in a town on one of the Finger Lakes and people have been out in droves on their boats. 5 or 6 of them will be tied together, tons of people, no masks. Mostly young people. New cases in our county have been those in their 20s and 30s and it's not hard to figure out why when you look at the beaches and boaters.
  • Options
    It is a little bit of a terrible Tuesday. I made a poor life choice last night and had drinks and now I am hungover. But the worst part is how tired I am. For some reason I only got three hours of sleep. I might need to nap at lunch. 

Glad to hear you’re getting a respite @climbingwife

@mrsconn23 Mask acne is an issue I’ve been struggling with too. If you’re wearing homemade cloth masks, trying switching them out every few hours. Technically they should be washed after each wear as well. I’ve stopped wearing makeup because a) no one can see it, and b) it was making me break out like crazy. A good facial routine with regular exfoliation helps too if you’re not already doing that. During summer it might not hurt to wash your face midday if you’re sweating heavily. At the very least rinse your face with some lukewarm water. Finally if it’s really stubborn make a virtual appointment to see if there’s a gel or cream that can be prescribed. I’ve personally used clindamycin gel for like 15 years and it’s helped a lot with outbreaks. I only use it once or twice a week unless I get a big breakout. 

• Options
    @mrsconn23 It's so funny that you asked that question because I kept seeing news articles yesterday talking about mask acne and how to combat it. I'll have to see if I can find them again.

My part of NY state is still very much complying with the mask order when indoors. You are starting to see people get a little more lax but the majority of people are wearing them. Indoor dining is allowed, but at limited capacity (though a new Mexican restaurant just opened over the weekend and it was jam packed with people every night. they need to be careful). Takeout food is still available and you can still do takeout alcohol, which I hope becomes a thing permanently. Anyone coming from states with high levels of infection have to quarantine, which means my BIL won't be coming home this year to meet the baby.

The biggest issue is people out on boats and beaches. I live in a town on one of the Finger Lakes and people have been out in droves on their boats. 5 or 6 of them will be tied together, tons of people, no masks. Mostly young people. New cases in our county have been those in their 20s and 30s and it's not hard to figure out why when you look at the beaches and boaters.
    Yeah, we have not done a tie-on with our boat and while we enjoy the fellow people at our marina it's definitely something I think of when I see how many people are together in one space.   The only solace I have is that we are in an area of low spread and the outdoors is far better than being inside.  

• Options
    That’s great news @climbingwife!

• Options
    banana468 said:
    CT is requiring masks in public and if you're one of the visitors to the state from one of the 19 hot states then you need to check in at the border.  Many private locations are also requiring masks and our restaurants do not have indoor dining.   We can do take out and have thus far but haven't sat down at any place.

Our anniversary is in a month and I'm sort of considering the idea of taking the boat to a place where we can order from the dock.   The idea of going "out" to eat though is not really making me excited. 
    That's one of my other pet peeves with the idiots that want to argue it's their "right" and their "freedom" to not have to wear a mask.

Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I can't help but feel there is a lot of correlation between people who feel that way and people who feel businesses should have the freedom to run the way they want with little government intervention.

Soooo, which is it?  An individual trying to push their made-up rule that their freedom is being impinged upon.  Or a business owner's "right" to run their business the way they please.  Which can include, even if it isn't legally required, everyone entering these premises needs to wear a mask.  Period.  That's our rule.  No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service.

Forcing a bakery to bake a cake for a same-sex couple's wedding...No!  Infringing on that business owner's rights and religious freedom (gasp and pearl clutch).  Oh, but wait-wait.  Now they're infringing on my freedom to be a non-mask wearer?!?!  The nerve!  No!  Unconstitutional!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

That's one of my other pet peeves with the idiots that want to argue it's their "right" and their "freedom" to not have to wear a mask.

Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I can't help but feel there is a lot of correlation between people who feel that way and people who feel businesses should have the freedom to run the way they want with little government intervention.

Soooo, which is it?  An individual trying to push their made-up rule that their freedom is being impinged upon.  Or a business owner's "right" to run their business the way they please.  Which can include, even if it isn't legally required, everyone entering these premises needs to wear a mask.  Period.  That's our rule.  No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service.

Forcing a bakery to bake a cake for a same-sex couple's wedding...No!  Infringing on that business owner's rights and religious freedom (gasp and pearl clutch).  Oh, but wait-wait.  Now they're infringing on my freedom to be a non-mask wearer?!?!  The nerve!  No!  Unconstitutional!  
    Exactly!  You are OK because you weren't in that "other" group.  Now that suddenly you aren't getting your way you're (general you and not YOU @short+sassy)  you want to stomp your feet? 

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    congrats @climbingwife I bet that will feel good to be away from him. Are you guys selling the house or will he buy you out? 

@mrsconn23 Ben Davis is moving their start date back a bit I believe. Curious to see how others may change from that and WT doing virtual 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

@mrsconn23 Ben Davis is moving their start date back a bit I believe. Curious to see how others may change from that and WT doing virtual 
    ISTA pres is supposed to hold a 3pm press conference to announce what comes of the meeting with the governor.  We're supposed to start July 30th.  Our education 'plans' were due last week (if we were sending him to school or keeping him on at home/e-learning).  We chose to send him, but if we'd had another week I'm not sure I would have chose that now.  My sister is a teacher and she's freaking out about returning, among *many* of my teacher friends.  I want to know WTF school admins were doing since MARCH since everyone seems to be scrambling now regarding return to school plans and parents and teachers are asking A LOT of questions.  

Our case count is jumping again. so...yeah. 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 and @kvruns, I really wish Holcomb would mandate mask wearing. I mean really, he strongly encourages but no mandate? I hope the lawmakers that get this concept will talk him into it. Hell, my 2 year old grandsons wear masks at the playground! I just don't get it.
  • Options
    I don't understand why teachers aren't striking. 
  • Options
    In my state teacher strikes are illegal and they can go to jail, also school isn’t in session and you can’t strike while you already aren’t working or getting paid. But the statewide teachers union has released a list of draft demands that are so onerous that they are effectively a demand for remote instruction. 
  • Options
    IKR?  However, I think what @starmoon44 is true in many places.  

What our state teachers union asked for was rather toothless, IMO.  I wish they would have went harder.  And again, it seems that a lot of school admins have been sitting with their thumb up their ass since March instead of making multilevel plans OR pressuring state leaders for guidance. 
  • Options
    This is good info, b/c I've been asking my friends who are teachers what I can do (as a non-parent) to help.  I kept asking about the union b/c I'd throw some money or signatures their way, to help shore up support in a more effective manner than just writing the school board.  I really haven't been able to find much about teacher's unions in MO.  And again, since our governor's head is so far up Trump's ass, they're just opening as normal to my knowledge, in August.  So far, nearly none of my friends are sending their kids and there's a pretty intense scramble to figure out what to do.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    This is good info, b/c I've been asking my friends who are teachers what I can do (as a non-parent) to help.  I kept asking about the union b/c I'd throw some money or signatures their way, to help shore up support in a more effective manner than just writing the school board.  I really haven't been able to find much about teacher's unions in MO.  And again, since our governor's head is so far up Trump's ass, they're just opening as normal to my knowledge, in August.  So far, nearly none of my friends are sending their kids and there's a pretty intense scramble to figure out what to do.
    Attending a school board meeting and speaking during public comment, if your state has this, can be incredibly effective. Most school boards only get one or two speakers. Here our boards are all meeting online and literally just want a workable solution. If even 20 parents all chimed in with the same idea, it would receive serious consideration. 
  • Options
    In my state teacher strikes are illegal and they can go to jail, also school isn’t in session and you can’t strike while you already aren’t working or getting paid. But the statewide teachers union has released a list of draft demands that are so onerous that they are effectively a demand for remote instruction. 
    Thanks, I didn't know that. 

I hope they figure it out soon but I know there isn't a good solution for everyone.