New York-Long Island

What to ask when to call a Venue

Hello everyone,
so since i found some advice already here on the places i wanna research on, I will tomorrow call In some places.. though I am really uncertain on how to ask the right questions to find out the right information..

So I want to know for example what is included in the Price Per head, since i really dont know what that means ..does that mean there is a cocktail hour,snacks and dinner ?

How can I ask what they provide, do I ask if they have their own event planning, if they give me a dj, do they charge me extra for a ceremony sight, do they have rooms for the bride and groom and bridal party to get ready ?!

What are the right questions to ask on the phone to get an overview of the most important facts that I should know if I put that place on my to visit list ?

Re: What to ask when to call a Venue

• edited December 2011
    You should really be making appointments with the venues you like to discuss what's included, what isn't, what extras are available, etc. Doing it over the phone limits what you get out of it and what they're able to tell you.
  • kttestkttest member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I asked lots of questions before i set-up an appointment to make sure that it was within what I wanted to spend and what I wanted.

I asked what dates they were available around the time I wanted to have my wedding.  What the per person rate was for both Friday and Saturday nights, if there was a minimum and what was included.  Then based on the answers I set-up appointments to go and meet in person and see the venue.  Everyone is willing to give information over the phone.

Good luck!
  • ceyringceyring member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My advice:
      1) have a good idea what you're looking for (indoor/outdoor ceremony site?  does the decor match your wedding style?), what your priorities are (menu choices vs. water view, for example), and about how many guests you'll be having.   
      2) narrow down your venue choices to just a few using their websites, reviews (try wedding wire's website, or the "brides's review" section on liweddings.com), and any photographs you can find online
      3) make appointments to see the possibilities in person.  take your digital camera to record details that you liked and didn't like
      4) remember that pricing is more or less negotiable depending on the popularity of your wedding date.

Assuming you're looking at catering halls, the price per head typically includes a cocktail hour and a four hour reception with sit-down dinner.  It often includes a wedding cake by their in-house baker, maitre d'/bridal attendant services, and valet parking.  Most places have some sort of bridal suite, but you'll want to take a look at the convenience of the layout (my sister brought up the issue of: is the bathroom big enough for your dress?  :) )It does NOT usually include tax and the 20% gratuity for the waitstaff that is automatically added to the bill.  Having a ceremony on site will cost an extra $600-1000.  

I've never heard of a catering hall providing a DJ as part of the package.  It's your responsibility to hire vendors like musicians, florists, and photographers separately. However, all catering halls can provide you with a list of their in-house and recommended vendors.  The advantage of an in-house vendor is that they really know the venue and work closely with the staff on a regular basis (and therefore in theory are less likely to do a sloppy job).  For example, my florist knew things like linen colors and available table shapes off the top of his head.  Recommended vendors, on the other hand, may or may not be the best way to go.  Usually there is a financial arrangement of some kind between them and the hall (in other words, either the vendor pays to be on that list or they actually give part of your event fee directly to the hall).

• edited December 2011
    Thanks guys you already have been helping a lot !!!

If anyone has more advice keep it coming !!
  • rtabbitartabbita member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First think of the ambiance you'd like the hall to have.  Some brides like historical sites and old beautiful mansions while others may like the large beautiful ball room with a chandelier.  Picking your ideal setting will be one way to help you narrow down the venue search.  From there I asked the following questions:

- Dates Available (if you have a few dates in mind you can ask)

- Pricing for those dates / months, etc.  If you are flexible then ask what the price difference would be between September vs. October.  This can save you $. Also, the pricing for children & vendors.

-How many people does your venue hold?

-Is there a ceremony on the grounds?

Good luck with your planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards