Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Reception 1 year after military destination wedding

So my husband and I got married 1 year ago in Hawaii where he was stationed for the military. He had just found out he would be getting deployed in a couples of months, so we couldn’t have the wedding we were wanting and planning. None of my friends or family were able to come except my best friend and none of his family or friends outside of the military were able to come either. We will be moving home for good within the next few months and in really want to have some special ceremony or something. I know I missed out on my big dream wedding with my mom helping me pick a dress and my dad walking me down the aisle and I can’t get any of that back, but does anyone have suggestions of what I can do to have the closest thing to that? We will be married for about a year and a half by the time we move home. 

Re: Reception 1 year after military destination wedding

• Options
    So my husband and I got married 1 year ago in Hawaii where he was stationed for the military. He had just found out he would be getting deployed in a couples of months, so we couldn’t have the wedding we were wanting and planning. None of my friends or family were able to come except my best friend and none of his family or friends outside of the military were able to come either. We will be moving home for good within the next few months and in really want to have some special ceremony or something. I know I missed out on my big dream wedding with my mom helping me pick a dress and my dad walking me down the aisle and I can’t get any of that back, but does anyone have suggestions of what I can do to have the closest thing to that? We will be married for about a year and a half by the time we move home. 
    A reception or anniversary party would be lovely. It's unfortunate that you didn't get to have the wedding you dreamed of, but we all know that's just part of life. The important thing is that you're married, but I'm sure everyone would love to get together for a big celebration (once it's safe to be in groups again). The party can be as casual or formal as you like. You can rent a hall, have a dinner and hire a DJ, or do big backyard BBQ type party. 

I wouldn't wear the traditional wedding dress, but you should choose a special dress and get your hair and make up all done up, if you like that sort of thing. You'll want to look and feel great that day. 
  • Options
    While you shouldn't reenact your ceremony, you can have a big party to celebrate your first anniversary and homecoming.