Wedding Woes

In a fight between a grizzly bear and a silver back gorilla, who would win?

VarunaTTVarunaTT member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited August 2020 in Wedding Woes
This is what I'm doing at work today.  Please comment why after voting/

In a fight between a grizzly bear and a silver back gorilla, who would win? 17 votes

Grizzly Bear
52% 9 votes
Silverback Gorilla
47% 8 votes

Re: In a fight between a grizzly bear and a silver back gorilla, who would win?

• Your day sounds more fun than mine. 

I'm going with the grizzly. I know gorillas a vegetarians, but I think bears eat meat?. So I'm saying the bear would have more dangerous teeth. I think the bears are bigger, too. 
  • I'm also voting for grizzly bear.  My determination:

--Both grizzlies and gorillas are very strong animals.  I'm calling that equal.

--Both grizzlies and gorillas have strong jaws.  I sure wouldn't want to be bit by either animal, lol.  But grizzlies have sharp teeth.  One point for grizzly.

--Grizzlies have claws that can slash like knives.  But gorillas have opposable thumbs that can help them crush bones.  I'm still giving the point to grizzlies and their claws.

Of all the random things, this poll gave me a flashback to a Cheers episode, lol.  The guys at the bar were doing a football pool every week.  Diane, even though she didn't know anything about football, also wanted to participate.  The guys were astounded when she won the pool the first week, but chalked it up to beginner's luck.

But when she won the pool in the second week, Sam was up in arms and was determined to find out how she "picked" the winners.  He asked her, "Like this game!  The Bears beating the Dolphins was a total upset.  No one would have picked the Bears, how come you did?"

Her response PO'ed him off more, lol.  She said, like it was obvious, "Of course a bear is going to beat a dolphin." 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I picked gorilla.  They just SEEM meaner.
  • So, this is some sort of internet debate that is raging and we've been giggling about it at work.  The poll here just reflects that it seems to always be about 50/50 one each side.  We've also been laughing b/c, thank you American education system, when asked why the gorilla would win, everyone seems to say "thumbs" at some point.  IDK what thumbs are supposed to do in this battle, but we've been so conditioned to think that thumbs and brains have made the gorilla better (and so similar to us).

Grizzly is usually b/c of claws, size/strength, and speed (technically about 15 mph faster once they get going).

Also of the 3 surveyed at work, we all said gorilla. 

:smiley:
  • Well, here's a thought...one would have more advantage in their 'home' environment.  A grizzly bear is going to be better off in Alaska and have the upper hand over a gorilla because that's not where a gorilla lives.  Vice versa with dropping a grizzly in the jungle, gorilla is going to have an easier time.  However, in a neutral environment I think the grizzly has the advantage due to sheer size and speed.  I think the gorilla could get it's licks in on the bear...but I think the bear would take down the gorilla in the end.  

But that has shit to do with thumbs.  LOL
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Well, here's a thought...one would have more advantage in their 'home' environment.  A grizzly bear is going to be better off in Alaska and have the upper hand over a gorilla because that's not where a gorilla lives.  Vice versa with dropping a grizzly in the jungle, gorilla is going to have an easier time.  However, in a neutral environment I think the grizzly has the advantage due to sheer size and speed.  I think the gorilla could get it's licks in on the bear...but I think the bear would take down the gorilla in the end.  

But that has shit to do with thumbs.  LOL
    I thought of that also but decided that, in the spirit of the question, I also assumed it to be a neutral environment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Chose the Gorilla.

just a rando guess.  No thought behind it whatsoever.