Wedding Woes
Options

Oh LW, you deserve so much better.

Dear Prudence,

I’m a straight woman in her 50s. I’ve been with the same man for 20 years. We both had difficult marriages that ended around the same time under quite painful circumstances. I thought everything between us was beautiful. But 10 years ago I was using his computer to check my email on vacation (with his permission) when I saw a sexy message from a young female employee of his. He admitted they’d been having an affair and that he’d been leading a double life for some time, and that he’d been seeing other people, too. He said that he still loved me, that these relationships had started during his long, sexless previous marriage, and that he hadn’t been able to stop, even though he only saw them a few times a year. I ultimately forgave him, but I’ve had a hard time adjusting or trusting him. We’re still together, but I still can’t really relax with him in bed. To be more specific, our sex life has dwindled to a place where mostly I give him oral sex, but it’s not reciprocal. I was so upset seeing photos of him going down on this other woman that I couldn’t stand him touching me in certain ways. Now I can’t have an orgasm with him anymore, only by myself with a vibrator.

I think he’d love to get back to something more well-rounded, but it’s as if we’re (I’m) stuck, as if punishing myself, then feeling inadequate for not being able to open myself up, and then afraid that by not being open enough I’m giving him unconscious reasons to be unfaithful. I’m in therapy, but for the moment it hasn’t helped enough. I do love so many things about him, but at the same time I fear my body is telling me that I’ll never be able to fully be with him again.

—Self-Flagellating

Re: Oh LW, you deserve so much better.

• Options
    DUMP HIM. 

• Options
    Do you want to waste more years with a man you know is cheating on you?
  • Options
    Your body is telling your brain what to do, and you should listen! He’s never going to treat you the way you deserve and you’re quite literally giving him way more than he deserves. 
  • Options
    yeah, 10 years ago your relationship was changed. It’s not going to go back to the pre discovery era. You’re hanging onto something that isn’t there anymore. 

• Options
    DTMF. He straight up admitted he’d started cheating during his previous marriage and then NEVER STOPPED.  What a stand up guy for only doing it “a few times a year.”

• Options
    He cheated on you during your entire relationship. Do you seriously think he's stopped now? You know he hasn't. 

This guy is a piece of shit. Dump him and quit giving him BJs. And probably fire your therapist. If it's been 10 years and you still haven't seen your way out of this toxic relationship, it's time to find someone new. I know not all therapists are a fit for everyone, but I almost wonder if this is one of those extreme faith based things where they tell you to stay with your shitty spouse no matter what. 
  • Options
    I wonder why this guy's first marriage failed ... he's a piece of work.  LW owes him nothing.

• Options
    I'm sorry, wait, WHHAATTT???

I don't understand why the LW didn't leave him back then!  An affair is one thing.  Some couples can work, usually in counseling, to build the trust and relationship back.  But this was a guy who was lying to and cheating on her from the day they met!  And continued to do it for the first 10 years.  Though, let's be real, a guy like that wouldn't have stopped.  He maybe just stepped it down some and is more careful to have no evidence.

And, as if that isn't bad enough for how low his character is, I also find it troubling that one of his affairs was with his "younger employee".  That's a power dynamic that is way off.  He's not just sleazy, he sounds predatory.  Even viewing it in the best light of him never putting pressure on her, she probably at least at some level felt like her job depended on it.  Especially after it started.  It's another important reason to DTMFA.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LW, you need therapy, stat.  I don't know why you've decided that this is the horrific life  you wanted, but something in you is knocking around and saying no, No, NO.  Listen to it, get into therapy, and...I mean TBH, DTMFA, but see what therapy does for you if you need to first.
  • Options
    DTMFA. That is all.
  • Options
    Good Lord, have some self-respect.  I get that it's hard to leave a relationship, but seriously?  Get out.  

Also, you can't stand having sex with him so the only thing you ARE doing is BJ's?  After he's cheated on you repeatedly for 20 years?!  Fucking gross.