Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Destination ceremony/home reception

We are planning on our ceremony in a tropical location with a later reception at home. Has anyone done this and has suggestions on colors? We wanted bright colors for the actual ceremony but the reception would be in the Midwest in the winter and bright colors don't seem right. Is it too weird to have two different color schemes? Especially regarding what the wedding party wears

Re: Destination ceremony/home reception

• Options
    We are planning on our ceremony in a tropical location with a later reception at home. Has anyone done this and has suggestions on colors? We wanted bright colors for the actual ceremony but the reception would be in the Midwest in the winter and bright colors don't seem right. Is it too weird to have two different color schemes? Especially regarding what the wedding party wears
    Are you expecting your bridal party to wear bridesmaid dresses at your tropical wedding, and then again at the home reception?? I don't really understand the need for a destination wedding and then a party at home, especially in current times. But you shouldn't be asking your bridal party to also attend the home "reception" in bridesmaid dresses - either the ones you made them wear at the destination wedding, or expecting them to buy/wear new ones. Why not just have them wear what they want at the home party? You're already going to be married - there's no reason to even have a wedding party at that point. 
  • Options
    I think it's fine to have whatever colors you would like for your the party back home.  I even think it would be fun to have to have a brightly colored "tropical" theme in the middle of a snowy winter.  

As long as you all are staying safe in terms of the pandemic and with your guests, it's great to have a party to celebrate your marriage but it sounds like you are planning to do a re-enactment of the ceremony?  It doesn't make sense to do that and I think it takes away from the solemnity of the real wedding ceremony.  Though perhaps you and your H could share a meaningful toast to each other.  I think that would be sweet and meaningful for your guests.  If you have a video of your wedding and the destination reception, you all could play that on a loop at the at-home reception.  It shouldn't be "captive audience" kind of thing.  But ambience where people could stop and watch for a few minutes and see a video of the ceremony if they were not able to attend the destination wedding. 

If you and your FI want to wear your wedding clothes for the party, that's fine.  But please don't make your WP wear the same outfits, unless they want to.  And definitely don't make them buy new clothing.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would not try to control what your attendants wear at your party at home. Just let them wear whatever they like in the right formality and don't try to impose a color scheme or any other requirements. Your attendants' duties end when your destination wedding does. 
  • Options
    Just do what makes you happy! You never know - your wedding party may want an excuse to wear their dresses again anyway!!!