Wedding Woes

Engagement Ring doesn't fit

Just got my engagement ring from being resized and it doesn't fit. I could fit a kids craft pipe cleaner in the gap! My mother in law works at the ring counter and has a very strong personality. She said this ring can only by sized down by 2 it was a 7 and I got fitted for a 5. They said the ring couldn't go down anymore because the pressure on the diamonds. She said it's either a 5 1/2 or I measured my finger wrong. First off I didn't measure it! Her ring counter did. All I said was I thought I was a 5 associate put a size 5 on and was getting caught on my nuckle tight but not too tight. Because it's been resized they do not offer refunds or trading. So naturally I'm freaking out because if they can't resize it, we can't afford to buy another ring. 

Re: Engagement Ring doesn't fit

• Can you go to another place?
    My engagement ring got sized and came back wrong so I went to a different company to resize it.
  • Go to another jeweler and see if they can help you. You don't have to only go to where you bought the ring and/or where your mother-in-law works.
  • Take the ring to another jeweler.  The jeweler I go to has no trouble moving a diamond from one band to another if it comes to that. 
  • I agree with getting a second opinion from a different jewelry store.

Not a perfect solution but, worse case scenario, you could get one of those pieces that attaches to a ring, to a make it smaller.  Then when money isn't as tight, you all could have a jeweler recreate the band and put the diamonds in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't do business with family and friends! 

Your MIL also has her own professional reputation to uphold and may feel defensive. 

I would go to a different jewelry store that is highly respected in customized service (not a Zales or Jared!) and ask them for their recommendation.   You don't have to go with it but you also don't need to take your MIL's word for it.