Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Night before the wedding?

What are you doing for the night before the wedding? FH's family rented a townhome for all of their extended family to stay at, so FH is thinking about sleeping there. I have a small bridal party and while I like the idea of having a sleepover, all of my bridesmaids have family with young kids. So I'm thinking of spending it with my immediate family. Just curious about your ideas you've had.

Re: Night before the wedding?

• Options
    What are you doing for the night before the wedding? FH's family rented a townhome for all of their extended family to stay at, so FH is thinking about sleeping there. I have a small bridal party and while I like the idea of having a sleepover, all of my bridesmaids have family with young kids. So I'm thinking of spending it with my immediate family. Just curious about your ideas you've had.
    DH stayed in his parents' huge hotel suite. I stayed at my childhood home (the wedding was in my hometown, but we didn't live there).

As a parent currently with young kids, I would turn you down if you offered the sleepover option. It sounds kind of fun, but not worth tomorrow's potential disaster, especially since I figure I'd also be away from them for most of the morning getting ready time. If I'm nursing, then it's definitely not happening.
  • Options
    I stayed alone in the bridal suite (we were lucky to have the option of staying 2 nights) after the rehearsal dinner. H went out with his friends and stayed at the apartment where they were getting ready. It was nice to relax, shower, watch crappy TV all alone. The wedding is a long, exhausting (wonderful!) day and it was nice to have a little time to get ready. 

Also as a parent of a young kid it would be really tough to stay away for the night and then the whole next day; we certainly could do it but it wouldn’t be my first choice. 
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2020
    I stayed in our apartment with two of my bridesmaids who had traveled to come to the wedding. H stayed in a hotel room with one of his GM who had traveled. I got ready at home and H got ready at the hotel with his friends. 

At the time, most of our friends were single, didn't have kids, and were on tight budgets (so reducing hotel expense was important.) If we were to do it now when most of our friends are married and have kids, we'd probably stay home together or AirBnB a big house with our closest people or the ones who traveled. 
  • Options
    I stayed at my grandma's house with my immediate family and H's immediate family had a couple hotel rooms and he stayed with them. 
  • Options
    H and I were already living together so we both just slept at our place.  We both sleep best in our own bed and wanted to be rested for our wedding day.