Wedding Woes
Options

Things I'm not understanding in 2020.

2»

Re: Things I'm not understanding in 2020.

• Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2020
    I don't understand why the mall was packed this weekend (I drove by). What the fuck are these people thinking? I literally bought all of my Xmas presents online. I haven't even been inside a mall since February! 
    I was in the mall on Saturday I confess! It was much much less crowded and chaotic inside than Target or ShopRite, and I went early in the day to two stores. And I saw Santa from afar and cried. 

(ETA Short Hills, since you’re local and maybe it was the same mall lol). 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I don't understand why the mall was packed this weekend (I drove by). What the fuck are these people thinking? I literally bought all of my Xmas presents online. I haven't even been inside a mall since February! 
    I've only been to an outdoor mall this year and we went to, like, 2-3 stores because we were looking for something specific.  I cannot imagine an INDOOR mall, packed, 5 days before Christmas during a freaking pandemic.  If Covid was a bowling ball, it was probably just knocking people down left and right.  
    I'm literally picturing that in my head right now, lol.  It's even easier to visualize because the "picture" of COVID is almost always round like a ball anyway.  In my vision, it's about the height of the people "pins" it is knocking down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Re: Tik Tok, I got sucked into it for a few months at the start of the pandemic. There’s some really funny content but a lot of it is just mindless and time wasting. I finally gave myself a self-imposed “ban” on it because tbh it was taking up hours of my life and I didn’t like how that was making me feel. Now I maybe browse through it once a month and I don’t know if it’s gotten worse, or if my algorithm is all funky because I’m not on it constantly, but I don’t seem to find anything “good” on it anymore. 

• Options
    I've been in a mall once since this all started - to return something. The traffic inside the mall was light, masked and directional. I have been into Kohl's a couple of times. I went to an outdoor mall in November. It was not busy at all. 

I'm whipped. I've been baking yesterday and today. I broke my KitchenAide mixer blade making gingerbread. I finished the dough on the dough hook and hand kneading. I've ordered a replacement blade which is suppose to arrive on Christmas Eve. I've gotten everything done that I need the mixer to mix until next week. Our family Christmas (immediate) is next Tuesday and we traditionally do cinnamon rolls. We just found out today that DS1 and DIL are really coming. I'm so happy. We've only seen them once since all this started. 
  • Options
    I was in the mall on Saturday I confess! It was much much less crowded and chaotic inside than Target or ShopRite, and I went early in the day to two stores. And I saw Santa from afar and cried. 

Hahah! I was actually back up in NY and was driving by Palisades Center!
  • Options

I drove by Short Hills on Saturday, and it looked less crowded than Livingston or Willowbrook (drove past them to on my way back from stopping in my office).

What I'm not getting right now is why people are still in denial over the election. Apparently, there are people planning an alternate inauguration. I just don't get it.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    What I'm not getting right now is why people are still in denial over the election. Apparently, there are people planning an alternate inauguration. I just don't get it.
    Yeah, and the most ridiculous part of it is the people who know better (*ahem* members of congress, 18 governors/attorneys general *ahem*) and keep pushing the narrative because it keeps the 'base' going and that means more money and power for them (or at least the perception of it). I have to think these people are pushing this because they're afraid of what a functioning government, especially justice dept., will do for and to them.   

But it's the only 'trickle down' effect that works since IRL people believe this shit and then pick up the torch and carry it.  Plus you know, the cult of Q.  And if they don't believe it, they still have no problem promoting it because it's fun to 'own the libs'.  

30 Rock Eye Roll GIF by TV Land Classic - Find  Share on GIPHY
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger You and I need to have a good gripe about the premier.  I don't understand how so many people voted for him.  He's doing some things with COVID right, but locking down everybody?  Why?  Is he doing this because, if he only locks down Toronto they'll bitch and then he'll lose his main base?  But if he locks down everybody then Toronto can't complain because it is everybody and he doesn't lose favour with his precious precious city.  My sister is so upset - she lives out your way and they also have so few cases, but they have to lock down too. All so we can placate Toronto. 

It also doesn't help that when certain areas were locked down, people would travel OUTSIDE OF THOSE ZONES because they just can't live without shopping or eating out or whatever it is they were doing.  Patience people - the lockdown in your area will end if you just wait, and then you can do your thing. It might be why they are thinking that a province wide lockdown is the only way to go, but it sucks for people that sacrificed and did their part to lessen cases and now suffer alongside the people who didn't.  

I know it's not just Ontario, but yeah, things are frustrating.  We can't beat this pandemic if not everyone is one board.  

• Options
    LOL @kerbohl  and @MissKittyDanger ok I’ve been up since 3:30.  Decided to read the boards. I read “ You and I need to have a good gripe about the premier” as “ You and I need to have a good gripe about the primer” and I was like YOU NEED THE PRIMER TO GIVE THE FOUNDATION A FIGHTING CHANCE! But then you went on about votes and I’m like “that doesn’t make sense”. So I had to re-read

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    @MissKittyDanger You and I need to have a good gripe about the premier.  I don't understand how so many people voted for him.  He's doing some things with COVID right, but locking down everybody?  Why?  Is he doing this because, if he only locks down Toronto they'll bitch and then he'll lose his main base?  But if he locks down everybody then Toronto can't complain because it is everybody and he doesn't lose favour with his precious precious city.  My sister is so upset - she lives out your way and they also have so few cases, but they have to lock down too. All so we can placate Toronto. 

It also doesn't help that when certain areas were locked down, people would travel OUTSIDE OF THOSE ZONES because they just can't live without shopping or eating out or whatever it is they were doing.  Patience people - the lockdown in your area will end if you just wait, and then you can do your thing. It might be why they are thinking that a province wide lockdown is the only way to go, but it sucks for people that sacrificed and did their part to lessen cases and now suffer alongside the people who didn't.  

I know it's not just Ontario, but yeah, things are frustrating.  We can't beat this pandemic if not everyone is one board.  
    I didn't vote him. Honestly, I voted NDP

SO! Theoretically I understand WHY he did it. Quebec is major hot spot. They're locking down for like 18 days and he wanted to make sure they don't cross and infect Ottawa.
    Toronto just isn't listening.
    Toronto was in partial shut down but they don't push masks, etc.

Yesterday he bitched out our mayor and top doctor {Jim Watson & Vera Etches} THEN BACK TRACKED BECAUSE HE REALIZED HE FUCKED UP

Do you know why people don't like him?
    A year before covid he yanked back on hiring/funding for schools and nurses.

FUCK THIS DUDE
  • Options
    LOL @kerbohl  and @MissKittyDanger ok I’ve been up since 3:30.  Decided to read the boards. I read “ You and I need to have a good gripe about the premier” as “ You and I need to have a good gripe about the primer” and I was like YOU NEED THE PRIMER TO GIVE THE FOUNDATION A FIGHTING CHANCE! But then you went on about votes and I’m like “that doesn’t make sense”. So I had to re-read
    LOLOLOL

I love when people are like "you need to give him a chance" then read it .... and understand our frustration ;) 
  • Options
    kerbohl said:

I didn't vote him. Honestly, I voted NDP

SO! Theoretically I understand WHY he did it. Quebec is major hot spot. They're locking down for like 18 days and he wanted to make sure they don't cross and infect Ottawa.
    Toronto just isn't listening.
    Toronto was in partial shut down but they don't push masks, etc.

Yesterday he bitched out our mayor and top doctor {Jim Watson & Vera Etches} THEN BACK TRACKED BECAUSE HE REALIZED HE FUCKED UP

Do you know why people don't like him?
    A year before covid he yanked back on hiring/funding for schools and nurses.

FUCK THIS DUDE
    Me too!  The NDP in my area is awesome and knows their stuff, so I was happy to vote for them.  

And yep - he screwed us even before this year.  I was so pissed at that.

• Options
    I don't mean to be stupid about Canada (but I guess I am) are you talking about Trudeau or your provincial premier?
  • Options
    I don't mean to be stupid about Canada (but I guess I am) are you talking about Trudeau or your provincial premier?
    SITB

Our provincial premier.  So Doug Ford.  You may remember tales of his brother, Rob Ford, who had some significant scandals in his time as mayor of Toronto.

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    SITB

Our provincial premier.  So Doug Ford.  You may remember tales of his brother, Rob Ford, who had some significant scandals in his time as mayor of Toronto.
    Oh yeah that was all over our local media here because Toronto is so close. 
  • Options
    @kerbohl @MissKittyDanger.  I'd take Ford right now (and I never thought I'd say that).  At least he's doing something unlike Kenny.  I had a good laugh when the Ont. government said at least we're not Alberta, or something like that a week or so ago.  We're a hot fucking mess.  Though it is nice to see Kenny getting hated on by both sides.  Non-supporters think he's not doing enough, his supporters are pissed they have to stay home or wear a mask and swear they're not going to vote for him again (but we all know they will).  

• Options
    @WinstonsGirl You are absolutely right - of course they will still vote for him!  I've seen a lot of people here who are very upset that they have to wear masks and think Ford is a jerk for making them do it, but they'll definitely vote for Ford again too.    

• Options
    @WinstonsGirl That's fair. One of my biggest issues is largely because less than 6m before the pandemic, he was trying to pull funding on education and nurses/medical.
    He's really only doing a "good job" because he's saying what medical professionals are telling him to. And the finance minister that just came back from vacation? Ford basically slapped him on the wrist.
  • Options
    @WinstonsGirl That's fair. One of my biggest issues is largely because less than 6m before the pandemic, he was trying to pull funding on education and nurses/medical.
    He's really only doing a "good job" because he's saying what medical professionals are telling him to. And the finance minister that just came back from vacation? Ford basically slapped him on the wrist.
    Oh the luxury