Wedding Woes

Monday of hopefully short week for everyone

My weekend was mainly meh.  Did my hair cut and then did an excellent job of holding down my couch for hours.  I started watching American Gods again.  I only got a few episodes in last time before ditching it, but it's captured me better this time.

Otherwise, SSDD at work.  Trying to concentrate and failing miserably.

Re: Monday of hopefully short week for everyone

• Every year I plan to be super productive wrapping up lose work ends before Christmas and then I accomplish like only one thing lol. So today I’m prioritizing the most important stuff just in case I don’t work the rest of the week. 
  • As I posted in things not understood in 2020, we are about to potentially go into fucking lock down. It'll start xmas eve but personally, I think they should start it boxing day. That way people get to at least briefly see family without thinking they'll be ratted out.

I'm trying to figure what we can do about xmas without cancelling because I really don't feel like my mental health can take it. I feel like I'll just end up crying all xmas if that happens.
    We were going to visit M's grandmother - we were going to wear masks anyways - so idk what's happening with that.

Oh. Weirdest shit too.
    Saturday was M's dad's bday and since we've been talking about moving for a few months, he suggested we buy M's grandmother's house.
    So much why we wouldn't
    - bungalow - M will not even entertain them
    - far east end of the city - we live in the west. Our work, family, etc here.
    - it's almost 2x our price range!

When his dad suggested this, M gave those reasons.
    Meanwhile I'm muttering in the back "yeh like you have a fucking option where we move ... ooh kay there bud."
    Like of any family member, he is the friggen LAST person we would ask.
    He irks me and I know theoretically it shouldn't but here we are.

Otherwise low key weekend. BK went to my mum's on Saturday. They iced cookies and played.

We got last minute shit done, which was good to do sans toddler as it was in and out of a few stores and a lot around the house.
    M intended to finish gate but we both kinda crashed lol
  • edited December 2020
    I had a mostly productive weekend. Friday night, I drank champagne and watched Holidate. Saturday I had errands to run, which included sitting at Toyota for 2 freaking hours for my 10k service. 
    Yesterday I got more of my closet organized, did a ton of laundry, organized more of my kitchen cabinets. When I unpacked, I was so frazzled I just threw stuff everywhere. Now it's way more organized. 

Also did a big grocery store shopping trip. It's amazing the things you don't think about having to rebuy, like condiments and spices. 

ETA: Working a half day on Xmas eve, but really wish I could stay home. 
  • @MissKittyDanger, I don't think it was necessarily bad that M's dad mentioned buying the grandmother's house.  As long as he took "no" for an answer and didn't pressure.  Better to have more options then not enough!  BK looks adorable and like she is having fun with the icing!

It's either a 3 or 4-day work week for me!  I am debating about taking Christmas Eve off, but I probably will.  Even if I work it, it would only be a half day.

My new tenants moved in early over the weekend!  So that was a nice surprise.  They had originally requested a Jan. 1st move-in date, but I had given them the option to pay a pro-rated rent and move-in sooner if they wanted to, because the place was ready.  They took me up on it!  So I made an extra $360 (prorated amount) I was not expecting to and also collected January's rent.  Plus it's nice to just have the move-in and all the pieces that go along with it checked off!

Other than that and grocery trip, we didn't do much else over the weekend.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    @MissKittyDanger family often has ideas of what people should do with their homes.  My late aunt evidently hated our house and FIL told us this a few weeks ago.  OK?  I didn't buy it for you and it's in our price range.  It may not be perfect but it works but I'll take your opinion when I request it. 
    I know in theory he means well with the idea, but i honestly don't know last time we spoke with M's dad. M was updating his dad about stuff and he was talking about shit in July .... so it might have been a brief convo on M's bday but otherwise nope!

This is the same guy who didn't wait for M to pick up BK and I after BIL's wedding to say hi ... I have a lot of animosity towards him. I'm gonna have to bite my tongue possibly soon though ...
  • @MissKittyDanger, one of our neighbors (and a close friend) approached a few months ago about buying her house.  Long story short, she doesn't have it for sale and would only sell it to us because there are major conditions with it.  We told her it's not something we can be thinking about right now with the refinances we are doing, but would get back to her early next year and discuss further.

It would be a SUPER UNUSUAL type of sale and at some point I will devote a whole post to it, to get your all's thoughts, lol.  But it could be really win-win for all parties.  My H and I have been mulling it over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  my mum decided to call them "grinch cookies" because of the colours she chose lmfao
    He didn't entirely take "no" as an answer, we almost had to explain why we wouldn't buy it. I mean it has a great yard, but that's about all we like about it.
    It just felt really ... idk, rude isn't the word I'm looking for. Maybe unnecessary?
    Yeh, we'll go with unnecessary.
    It felt unnecessary for him to suggest it.

Although, I often chalk it up to "bitch eating crackers" kinda situation.
  • banana468 said:
    @MissKittyDanger family often has ideas of what people should do with their homes.  My late aunt evidently hated our house and FIL told us this a few weeks ago.  OK?  I didn't buy it for you and it's in our price range.  It may not be perfect but it works but I'll take your opinion when I request it. 
    I know in theory he means well with the idea, but i honestly don't know last time we spoke with M's dad. M was updating his dad about stuff and he was talking about shit in July .... so it might have been a brief convo on M's bday but otherwise nope!

This is the same guy who didn't wait for M to pick up BK and I after BIL's wedding to say hi ... I have a lot of animosity towards him. I'm gonna have to bite my tongue possibly soon though ...
    I'm sure it's hard when you already have feelings about the person.

For my aunt I loved her dearly and miss her terribly.   But her opinions were always facts without hearing why something may not be according to what she thought it should be. 
  • I'm sitting here playing around with 2021 vacation days instead of working.  LOL  We're really busy because we're heading into 1st quarter, which is our highest volume period typically, and there's a lot of end of year deadlines for our clients.  Plus so many people are off for the holidays, so it's all driving our numbers pretty high.  

Weekend was OK.  Friday night, I went to the store and got that out of the way. 

Saturday, we went to my sister's for our cookie baking.  It was...what it was.  Familiar and sad at the same time.  Dad is struggling more the closer we get to Christmas (even though he's pretending he's not). 

Sunday, our friends came over to watch football.  It was super low-key.  

I wish I'd stop having insomnia at 3am.  I know it's tied to the holidays.  I'm hoping it lets up after Christmas. 
  • One more also, but is anyone following the Christie Smythe/ Martin Shkreli article (and her subsequent Twitter) is all kinds of 2020 energy there. 
  • Also, the Bills won the AFC EAST for the first time since 1995. The city would be celebrating if we all weren’t in an orange zone and all trying not to get the covid. 

Yas!  I hadn't realized it had been that long!

The Saints clinched the NFC South a couple weeks ago.  It's nice to be in a division where 2 out of the other 3 teams have losing records, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2020
    One more also, but is anyone following the Christie Smythe/ Martin Shkreli article (and her subsequent Twitter) is all kinds of 2020 energy there. 
    This reminded me of this little ditty I came across yesterday on Twitter.  Just because Twitter is a cesspool that has the best of the worst of humanity. 

It’s doing a lot in the best worst 2020 ways. 

• @charlotte989875 congrats to the Bills!

Saturday was a backyard snowy play date at my parents’ house.  The kids had a ball seeing their cousins and trampling in Nana and Pop Pop’s untouched snow.  I’m usually a cold weather person but only lasted about an hour and a half (it was in the 20s).  But it was nice.

Yesterday’s Christmas cookie bake-a-thon went really well.  I sent my kids into school packed down like mini Santa’s with aalll the gifts- their classroom teachers, the Specials teachers, principal, nurse, son’s OT, PT and speech...Wednesday is the last day of school but I didn’t want to risk an abrupt shutdown and not give gifts.  I brought in for the Main office secretaries, my department office secretary, supervisor and some coworkers today too.  I still have some wrapping and assembling to do but I’m in a pretty good place.
  • I'm seriously cracking up at the meat slicer, and it paying for itself in TWO YEARS. 
    I TOTALLY have 3-4 ribeyes a week.  

No, taking the gig isn't what makes you TAH.  You as TAH makes you TAH. 

• Re: the AITA post

I'm so glad the edit was there because I was like, "Your roommate watches your kids for months at a time?  Huh?!?"  It makes so much more sense that is also their mother.

But that is also his "girlfriend".  Except they aren't in love and the first word he uses is roommate.  'Kay.

I'm also wondering what kind of mega bills this guy has that spending 200 bucks on a meat slicer...a few hours of his normal pay...was such a hardship.

Also lmao that this is the SECOND AITA letter in the last few days that references lobsters!  The other one is about a woman who likes exotic pets and recently got a pet lobster named George.  Her b/f, who doesn't live with her, doesn't like George and threatened to kill and eat him if she didn't get rid of him.  So she took his key to her place and is unsure about the fate of their relationship.  Her mother thinks she's being TA for choosing a lobster over her b/f.  I couldn't picture having fond feelings for a lobster.  But the LW does and is more choosing to be single then be with someone who threatened to kill and eat her pet.  Sounds about right to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah - in a normal situation I'd be all, "You have to go work because this is what you do." 

And going to work doesn't make you the AH.  It's this weird feeling that he's leaving SO MUCH out.  

I've grown up in families with oil burner service men, nurses, additional shift workers, etc.  Missing Christmas or other holidays has been something that you have to take as one of the parts of the job.  But something about how this guy refers to the mother of his kids and that slicer means he's....both detached from fiscal responsibility but potentially emotional responsibility too. 
  • Weekend was pretty good but tiring. Hiked 13 miles with 3,000 ft elevation gain on Saturday and then 10 miles on Sunday so I was tired. I dragged myself to finish grocery shopping for the next week and a half. Luckily my Christmas shopping is done and everything is wrapped. I got a really bad headache last night, and I started stressing that it was COVID related. It was also after hiking for two days and I didn’t drink enough water on Sunday or have a chance to eat until five pm yesterday so I wasn’t sure if that was playing a part in it. I still had it this morning and was preparing to get swabbed and sent home when I had some tea. My headache went away almost instantly. It was a dumb caffeine headache, which I’ve never had before. I guess after a month of four cups of caffeinated tea every day plus coffee my body has finally hit dependency mode. But I’m relieved it was a simple fix. Time to cut back gradually.

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm. It’s a weird holiday season. 

• banana468 said:
    I've grown up in families with oil burner service men, nurses, additional shift workers, etc.  Missing Christmas or other holidays has been something that you have to take as one of the parts of the job.  But something about how this guy refers to the mother of his kids and that slicer means he's....both detached from fiscal responsibility but potentially emotional responsibility too. 
    Exactly.  My father, H, some uncles are all firefighters.  Several aunts and cousins are nurses.  Missing a holiday bc of work is par for the course for plenty of families.  It’s...literally everything else...that makes this AH the AH 😝
  • MrsConn - That AITA!  That's amazing!  I wonder if his roommate/GF knows how they "aren't in love" anymore.  And how many rib-eyes is that guy eating per week!

We had a good weekend overall.  I got a lot of stuff done on Friday for my unexpected day off.  The network for the office was down all day and they had to revert back to an older platform of Citrix for us to work over the next few days.  So somewhere there was a major screw up!

Saturday we went to my brother's house for nephew's birthday.  We were the only ones to wear masks, but at least no one tried to shame us! LOL!  I also took an evening trip to Target to finish up stocking stuffers, the candy area was very picked over, but I was able to get everything I needed.

Sunday was our relaxing day.  We went to Lowes for some upcoming supplies for our projects, since we always try to split up shopping trips for necessary items for projects to break up the payments on the stuff.  Later on we figured out that DD had climbed up on top of her dresser to try and reach a necklace that MIL had given her.  She ended up ripping it off of the area I had it and breaking it.  She threw the pieces under her bed and was being an extra sneaky pants, so something new to watch out for now!
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I'm seriously cracking up at the meat slicer, and it paying for itself in TWO YEARS. 
    I sent this to DH yesterday and we both were like, "Wtf is with this meat slicer?!"  He threw that in there to distract people. Also, those addendums are totally selective.  I'd love to see the "roommate's" side of this.  

Who eats steak, ribeyes or otherwise, 3-4 times a week?  We are getting a half cow share in February and I still plan on buying other meats to supplement the beef...because that's a lot. 
    Right!  My H and I are definitely red meat kind of people who love steak, but I couldn't imagine eating it more than once a week (and it is actually more like once a month).

No wonder he is jumping at the chance to make $700/day.  If everyone in the house is eating ribeyes when he is home for his 4-6 weeks throughout the year, they probably spend in one week what most people spend in one month for groceries!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I need to see this man’s cholesterol levels.