Wedding Party

Kids parade idea

So I’m trying to flush out an idea in my head. And I’m hoping to bounce some creativity off those of you who are far and above myself. I have a lot of nieces and nephews, and a lot of bonus nieces and nephews. Ranging mostly between the ages of 1-11. Many siblings and cousins with each other. I know not all of them need to be involved, but they are important people to me and I would like that. Most are nephews. It would be weird to have nine ringbearers. Ushers. Whatever, plus it’s a lot of kid wrangling! My thought is to do some type of kids parade where the kids who are important in “auntie and uncle’s” life will get to do some type of walk down the aisle.

I’m not totally attached to the idea, but I am pretty attached to finding some thing. It doesn’t have to be before the bride. It can be after. I don’t need them wearing the same outfits, I am open to kids of guests also doing some thing. The wedding is rather big, but we are definitely casual people and it will not be in uptight event. I guess our theme is fun and colorful!

I’d love some feedback, or ideas, or options, or just your thoughts! I much much appreciative!

Re: Kids parade idea

• Look at some British weddings where it's normal that the kids are involved in a large group...  

Even if they don't match, I would highly recommend some similar parameter (First Communion type dress for example that can be purchased reasonably in a spectrum of sizes/styles/budgets)...  
  • I’m one of many cousins on my mother’s side.  I was a member of a kind flower girl parade when my youngest aunts and uncles got married.  It was fun matching my sisters and cousins and throwing petals.  My only advice is to keep the nieces and nephews who will be processing down the aisle to the ones old enough to walk down an aisle independently and responsibly.  

I don’t really have ideas as far as what kids can do after the bride walks down the aisle.  You wouldn’t want them to have some sort of task in case it falls to their parents.  And is it your nieces and nephews or kids of guests in general?  If the latter, just make your wedding kid-friendly.  I had coloring books, crayons, stickers, etc at their tables, a make your own sundae station as part of the dessert spread, etc.  
  • I think depending on size just ask the kids to wear whatever and make flower crowns for the girls.  Then ask a couple people who can help get the kids back to sit with their parents once that's done. 

• I wouldn't have the really young ones (say, under 3) walk down the aisle at all since they wouldn't be able to do so under their own power. Just take some photos with them and let it go at that. And if trying to get kids older than that down the aisle involves "wrangling" and other logistical issues, I'd rethink their roles in the ceremony.

This is me, but I think instead of having them all come down the aisle, I'd take a few minutes for a special "aunts and uncles" photo with you, your FI, and all the kids, give them some nice little gifts, and maybe have a special dance with them and/or give them some special treats at the reception. That might save you some "wrangling"!
  • Bear in mind that with each additional member brought in to the wedding party, additional costs can be incurred.  If you are holding a rehearsal, then all those children, as well as their parents, would be invited to the rehearsal dinner.  If you plan on gifting your wedding party members, they would also be included.
  • What about a special kids dance at the reception. The parents could dance with them, but that could be fun for them.