Wedding Woes
Options

Why do you feel you'd be a 'failure'?

Dear Prudence,

Over 10 years ago, I started a career I was really excited about. For years, I put my all into it. I moved up through the ranks, which meant stakes were higher and the burden heavier. I still enjoyed it, because I believed in my work. I greatly admire the people who have worked in my office for decades. But now I’m tired. Maybe it’s because the pandemic has put things into perspective, but it’s also true that social changes have made our work increasingly difficult over the last few years. I just want to slow down. I can do that, but my work won’t be quite as meaningful, and I won’t have the same success that the people I look up to have.

That makes me feel like a failure, like I’m giving up. I don’t look down on the people in my office who do other types of work—it’s just my own internal judgment of myself. This also isn’t about wanting more of a life outside of work. Despite sometimes working long hours, I’m still able to have a social life. I just hate feeling like I can give this job my all, and sometimes, through absolutely no fault of my own, my all won’t matter. How do I come to terms with wanting to scale back?

—Striving for Mediocrity

Re: Why do you feel you'd be a 'failure'?

• Options
    Have you considered a therapist or even time off to reflect?  Sometimes I start to feel a burn out and what I really need is time off. 

• Options
    I feel this. My counselor asked me why I feel like I always have to be pushing myself & being out on the edge. It’s a hard question to face but sounds like one LW needs to answer for themselves. What happens if you do take a step back? Even just for a week or two? It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, but sounds like LW could use a long vacation before making a huge change they can’t take back.  
  • Options
    This is a big thing with my B-school group. Everyone is smart and motivated, but there's always someone who has done more. People lose sight of what success means when they get too competitive. Sure, some people are destined to be CEO or change the world. But it doesn't mean that those of us that don't go that far aren't successful. 

A break sounds like a good idea, but also a career coach or counselor could help them define success for them. It's not supposed to be one size fits all.