Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Married during covid - suppose to have big wedding in May

Hello! I really need advice and/or ideas! Our wedding date was May 16th 2020. Due to covid we couldn't have our wedding. We still however got married. We were able to move everything to this coming year (May 22nd 2021) A lot has happened. Sold our house in October and are currently living with the in laws (It's not been ideal) We are going to build a house but it won't be done for another 6 months. We are now wondering how we are going to be able to afford to do both and have thought about not even doing the wedding. Problem is, i already have my Photographer and videographer paid for. The other stuff (Decorations,Venue,Hair&Makeup,Cater) only have down payments on them. Their fairly small so i wouldn't be losing a lot of money. I didn't get to wear my wedding dress when we got married last year and i really want to be able to wear it and him see me in it. We also have moved our honeymoon to savannah, Georgia and plan to go down there the Monday after the 22nd. I'm still thinking of maybe getting photos/video made with my dress but i'm not sure what to do. I would rather save our money to get a new home but i'm torn that i might regret not having the full wedding like i dreamed.

Re: Married during covid - suppose to have big wedding in May

• Hello! I really need advice and/or ideas! Our wedding date was May 16th 2020. Due to covid we couldn't have our wedding. We still however got married. We were able to move everything to this coming year (May 22nd 2021) A lot has happened. Sold our house in October and are currently living with the in laws (It's not been ideal) We are going to build a house but it won't be done for another 6 months. We are now wondering how we are going to be able to afford to do both and have thought about not even doing the wedding. Problem is, i already have my Photographer and videographer paid for. The other stuff (Decorations,Venue,Hair&Makeup,Cater) only have down payments on them. Their fairly small so i wouldn't be losing a lot of money. I didn't get to wear my wedding dress when we got married last year and i really want to be able to wear it and him see me in it. We also have moved our honeymoon to savannah, Georgia and plan to go down there the Monday after the 22nd. I'm still thinking of maybe getting photos/video made with my dress but i'm not sure what to do. I would rather save our money to get a new home but i'm torn that i might regret not having the full wedding like i dreamed.
    First off, you did have a wedding. A wedding is where two people get married. Photographers, dresses, and all the other fanfare are not what makes a wedding; it's the process of getting married. I understand that your wedding wasn't the wedding you had planned, but don't lose sight of what's important. It was special and momentous because you got married, not because of the fluff. 

If I were you, I would spend the money on the house. While it may be fun to renew your vows with all the trappings of a big wedding, it's a lot of money to blow on one day when it means you're giving up or postponing having your own home. A house will be there for years to come and means you don't have to stay with in-laws. You can renew your vows at any time. You could put a little money away each year and do a big blow out for your 5th or 10th anniversary. 

I would, however, bring the dress and schedule a photo shoot with a photographer while you're in Savannah. You could do some really fun photos in the squares.