Wedding Woes

Have you explored your online or sliding scale options?

Dear Prudence,

2020 was a rough year, and it’s affected my mental health. The past couple of months have been the worst, including what I’m pretty sure are panic attacks with intense physical symptoms. I called a crisis hotline during the most recent attack. I am also still dealing with the trauma from a massive, deadly disaster that happened here several months ago. I don’t really talk about any of this with anyone. I’m closest to my boyfriend and roommate, but I don’t want to burden them with my problems—they are already under enough stress as it is. I really just need a loved one to talk to about this in a constructive way. What are some strategies for letting them know what I’m going through without feeling like I’m burdening them further? I don’t have health insurance, and I don’t know if therapy is something I can afford right now.

—Need to Talk, but Don’t Know How

Re: Have you explored your online or sliding scale options?

• Look into online or sliding scale options! Many therapists/ counselors will give you a discount if you don’t have insurance or if yours won’t cover it. 

I’d also look into non-profit/ state provided options. You may get less choice on who you see and may have a longer wait time but that could be more financially viable. 

Also, we need to add mental health coverage to universal health care! 
  • Look into online or sliding scale options! Many therapists/ counselors will give you a discount if you don’t have insurance or if yours won’t cover it. 

I’d also look into non-profit/ state provided options. You may get less choice on who you see and may have a longer wait time but that could be more financially viable. 

Also, we need to add mental health coverage to universal health care! 
    I don't even feel I can answer the LW's question, ie how to discuss what they are going through without overburdening their loved ones, because even that is best addressed by a therapist.  They need professional help and possibly medication.  They should do their best to find free/low cost options.  But I know that is easier said than done, especially for someone who is already struggling.

It is so frustrating.  Because for such an enormous problem in our country, mental health has always been dismally ignored.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker