Destination Weddings Discussions

Reception: outside of the resort and far away

Hi, 
so i have been planning and looking for wedding venues in Los cabos for a while now. I am very picky and looking for something unique and different and since we are on a pandemic i also have a set budget for peoples travel packages(dont wanna go too expensive and because of that our resort options are limited) 
iVe always wanted a Oacen front wedding but   Looking for one made me disappointed as the hotels we found were either too expensive or not good for a wedding reception. I have finally found 2 places that i like: found a jungle-like wedding venue that is very unique, and also a resort (hard rock all inclusive resort, its brand new, so many amenities and things to do)that is amazing for everyone in the group , the parties that we are going to have during the stay and also great for the ceremony. 
 The only problem is that the reception place is 50 minutes drive from the hotel. We are going to provide the transportation to and from the reception but knowing that the resort is one of the top 5 in the same category, is 50 minutes too much to be in a bus to get to the reception from the ceremony? 
We obviously have other resort options closer to the venue but they dont have as many amenities and are not a top notch like HR. Also have the option to have the reception at the resort but wont be as unique and this is BIG my day :( HELPPPP

Re: Reception: outside of the resort and far away

• Hi, 
    so i have been planning and looking for wedding venues in Los cabos for a while now. I am very picky and looking for something unique and different and since we are on a pandemic i also have a set budget for peoples travel packages(dont wanna go too expensive and because of that our resort options are limited) 
    iVe always wanted a Oacen front wedding but   Looking for one made me disappointed as the hotels we found were either too expensive or not good for a wedding reception. I have finally found 2 places that i like: found a jungle-like wedding venue that is very unique, and also a resort (hard rock all inclusive resort, its brand new, so many amenities and things to do)that is amazing for everyone in the group , the parties that we are going to have during the stay and also great for the ceremony. 
     The only problem is that the reception place is 50 minutes drive from the hotel. We are going to provide the transportation to and from the reception but knowing that the resort is one of the top 5 in the same category, is 50 minutes too much to be in a bus to get to the reception from the ceremony? 
    We obviously have other resort options closer to the venue but they dont have as many amenities and are not a top notch like HR. Also have the option to have the reception at the resort but wont be as unique and this is BIG my day :( HELPPPP
    It is a big day for you, but you’re also asking people to travel to another country and celebrate with you so you need to take that into account. 50 minutes on a bus, in wedding attire and hot weather sounds pretty miserable to me. I’d say 10-15 minutes would be the furthest you want to transport people without their own cars or other options. 

I would keep the resort with the good amenities and find a ceremony location closer to or at the resort. Maybe you can your FI can do pictures or a visit to the location you really like while finding something more convenient for your guests. 
  • Agree that 50 minutes is too far to travel. You're already asking guests to spend the time and money to travel to another country. Asking them to it on a bus for 50 minutes each way is just too much.

Also, when considering this transportation, keep in mind that not everyone will want to stay until the same time. People need to have an option to get back to the hotel when they are ready to go. While it would be ideal to have the reception on the resort property, at least if you're 10-15 minutes away, you have the option of the shuttle taking a few trips back during the evening as people are ready to go. 
  • I'll echo the others.
    -Also consider the timing requirements for your wedding to be legal in Mexico.  It's not as simple as arriving the day before and then getting married.  You will need to factor that into your own travel requirements even if your guests don't. 

-Consider when you plan to have your wedding.  As of now I can say I would be completely noncommittal about attending any DW.  Ideally you know your guests and their ability to advise traveling.  I even have a vacation on the books now that I may consider canceling.  We have an in-state wedding that is in May and I am highly doubtful that it's going to occur as planned.

Once I've reached a travel destination I'm less likely to want to travel especially 50 minutes away in a foreign country.  I'd keep it at any resort you choose for practicality and safety. 
  • Until travel restrictions are lifted, you may want to consider options state-side that can be everything you want without the out of country travel.  Right now the restrictions are just crazy whether leaving the US to go to other countries or returning from other countries to the US and it'll be anyone's guess when that stuff gets lifted as we're already a year in (which is horrible for those of us in industries where that ability to travel freely is important!)...  There's places like Gulfport/Biloxi that have Hard Rock but several other options that allow you to have the beach wedding without the cost nor traveling out of country.  Florida by Sarasota/Venice (Check The Ringling as a venue!)..  Also, the realities of getting married in another country, having it state-side gets two birds with one stone...
  • Your guests' comfort should be your top priority. I'd personally be pissed if I flew to Mexico and then had to ride a bus for an almost 2 hour round trip for your reception. 

I agree that you should be looking at options in the states.