Chit Chat
Options

Frustrated With Friend

So, I got engaged about a month ago to my partner of almost 3 years. I am the last of my group of friends to get engaged/married.

one of my best friends, who I will call Brandon, has been frustrating me. I was in the wedding party at his wedding to his husband 5 years ago. They had a very non-traditional wedding where the wedding parties were not gendered, so I was a “groomsmaid”. Months prior to the wedding I spent hours a week rehearsing a choreographed dance routine the entire wedding party had to learn. They DIY-ed their entire wedding so I was up until midnight the night before helping them bake cupcakes for their wedding day. I was happy to do so because he’s such a dear friend to me and I felt honored to be asked to be in his wedding party. 

One of the other members of his wedding party, who I will call Gina, was one of his best friends going back to childhood. She got married a few years later. Her wedding was very very traditional so she chose to have all women in her bridal party. She, instead, had Brandon as a groomsman and he made it very apparent he was hurt by this, as he expected to be “maid of honor” given their long friendship. She didn’t really involve him in the planning or picking out a venue, didn’t invite him to the bridal shower etc and it was a situation where I felt really bad for him. He told me that he hoped that when I got married I’d have him as maid of honor and involve him as much as possible.

So, I finally get engaged and he couldn’t seem less interested. The last time I saw him he went hours before he thought to congratulate me on the engagement. After that, it turned into an hour rant about how “horrible” his wedding went. I have noticed that him and his husband’s relationship seems to not be going great (every time I’ve seen them the past few years they get into very bad and uncomfortable arguments) and I can’t help but wonder if he’s a little jealous of my engagement.

Of course, with COVID I know things are very up in the air so who knows when it’ll happen, so maybe that plays a role in this and I understand. However, I am trying to reserve a venue for summer 2022 because I have a feeling things are going to get very very booked once things start to become more “normal” with all of the delayed weddings (I work in the wedding planning industry and have noticed!). I have tried so hard to involve him in picking out a venue and every time I’ve texted him like “oh look it this one!” I’ll get either no response or a “oh nice”. My fiancé and I have a tour scheduled at the venue I’m most interested in in three weeks (and tbh we may just put the deposit down that day if we love it in person) and I texted him asking if he wanted to come with us since he was so hurt when Gina didn’t ask him to do such when she got married, and he couldn’t even text back.

I know perhaps my wedding doesn’t seem the most “real” to him with it likely happening so far away from now...but I can’t help but feel hurt and a little resentful. No, he doesn’t owe me excitement...but I am simply trying to involve him in something he once told me he would desperately want to be involved in. It’s extra frustrating given the fact that people I’m nowhere near as close to are reaching out to me asking about my wedding while one of my best friends won’t even text me back. I am sort of second guessing even having him as “maid of honor” in the wedding because I can’t help but feel like he doesn’t want to be involved but then I worry that would hurt him like it did when Gina kept him out of the bridal party. I don’t know how to address this with him because I have a feeling he will get defensive. Idk what to do but my feelings are kinda hurt. 

Re: Frustrated With Friend

• Options
    So, I got engaged about a month ago to my partner of almost 3 years. I am the last of my group of friends to get engaged/married.

one of my best friends, who I will call Brandon, has been frustrating me. I was in the wedding party at his wedding to his husband 5 years ago. They had a very non-traditional wedding where the wedding parties were not gendered, so I was a “groomsmaid”. Months prior to the wedding I spent hours a week rehearsing a choreographed dance routine the entire wedding party had to learn. They DIY-ed their entire wedding so I was up until midnight the night before helping them bake cupcakes for their wedding day. I was happy to do so because he’s such a dear friend to me and I felt honored to be asked to be in his wedding party. 

One of the other members of his wedding party, who I will call Gina, was one of his best friends going back to childhood. She got married a few years later. Her wedding was very very traditional so she chose to have all women in her bridal party. She, instead, had Brandon as a groomsman and he made it very apparent he was hurt by this, as he expected to be “maid of honor” given their long friendship. She didn’t really involve him in the planning or picking out a venue, didn’t invite him to the bridal shower etc and it was a situation where I felt really bad for him. He told me that he hoped that when I got married I’d have him as maid of honor and involve him as much as possible.

So, I finally get engaged and he couldn’t seem less interested. The last time I saw him he went hours before he thought to congratulate me on the engagement. After that, it turned into an hour rant about how “horrible” his wedding went. I have noticed that him and his husband’s relationship seems to not be going great (every time I’ve seen them the past few years they get into very bad and uncomfortable arguments) and I can’t help but wonder if he’s a little jealous of my engagement.

Of course, with COVID I know things are very up in the air so who knows when it’ll happen, so maybe that plays a role in this and I understand. However, I am trying to reserve a venue for summer 2022 because I have a feeling things are going to get very very booked once things start to become more “normal” with all of the delayed weddings (I work in the wedding planning industry and have noticed!). I have tried so hard to involve him in picking out a venue and every time I’ve texted him like “oh look it this one!” I’ll get either no response or a “oh nice”. My fiancé and I have a tour scheduled at the venue I’m most interested in in three weeks (and tbh we may just put the deposit down that day if we love it in person) and I texted him asking if he wanted to come with us since he was so hurt when Gina didn’t ask him to do such when she got married, and he couldn’t even text back.

I know perhaps my wedding doesn’t seem the most “real” to him with it likely happening so far away from now...but I can’t help but feel hurt and a little resentful. No, he doesn’t owe me excitement...but I am simply trying to involve him in something he once told me he would desperately want to be involved in. It’s extra frustrating given the fact that people I’m nowhere near as close to are reaching out to me asking about my wedding while one of my best friends won’t even text me back. I am sort of second guessing even having him as “maid of honor” in the wedding because I can’t help but feel like he doesn’t want to be involved but then I worry that would hurt him like it did when Gina kept him out of the bridal party. I don’t know how to address this with him because I have a feeling he will get defensive. Idk what to do but my feelings are kinda hurt. 

Maybe he would have been excited a few years ago, but things have changed. Between his marriage troubles, general life in a pandemic, and whatever else, he's not that excited now. Disappointing ok, but you're right, he doesn't owe you excitement. Set your expectations and move on. 

Wait until at least summer, preferably fall to ask anyone to be in your wedding party. 9 months is plenty of notice, and relationships change. When the time comes, remember that MOH is too honor your closest friend, not a reward for the right amount of wedding excitement. 
  • Options
    Everything PP said is accurate.  It's ok to feel a little hurt and frustrated especially since he was so adamant about being involved a couple years ago.  However, things change and circumstances change.  If you haven't asked already, definitely wait until about 9 months prior to the wedding to ask your bridal party.  At that time, ask your nearest and dearest friends/family to stand up with you becuase you are honoring them.  There are no expectations for a bridal party (even MOH) to do, plan, create, work for anything for your wedding.  They show up in the agreed on attire on the day of your wedding and stand with you. That's it.  If they offer more, great!  But they are not obligated to do so. 
  • Options
    Ditto the above. 

My guess is that there's a lot that's changed in your friend's personal life and much of that can affect his enjoyment and desire to be involved.   If he is having marriage issues right now in the pandemic then the thought of helping with another wedding may be very difficult. 

Not wedding related at all but when a dear friend lost her child when she was about 18 weeks pregnant, she called a mutual friend with an upcoming baby shower and said that there was no way she was going and just couldn't.  It hurt and it was raw and while she was deep down happy for the friend, she could not put on that face while going through such grief. 

Be there for your friend.  You can be said that he's not acting as involved as you thought he'd be but it sounds like he could also use an ear so instead be that ear. 
  • Options
    I'm repeating some of what the other PPs have said.  For whatever reason, he is not showing as much excitement as you expected for your wedding right now.  I understand why that hurts, but it doesn't necessarily mean he is a bad or uninterested friend.  Lower your expectations on this.

Your wedding is over a year away.  At least for now, stop the wedding talk with him unless he asks.  It does sound like he's a little sour on weddings.  Either because of his own experience or because things are rocky in his marriage or a combo of both. 

Unless you have already done so, don't ask anyone to be in your WP or be your MOH yet.  It's too soon because relationships can change.  You also aren't obligated to ask him to be your MOH or even in your WP, just because he told you a few years ago that he wanted to be your MOH.  Though, when the time comes, base that decision on who you feel closest to.  Not on who has the most enthusiasm or can do the most stuff.  I'm not saying you would do that, just giving a warning not to.

It was a long time ago, but I had a good friend who asked me to be her BM.  In the same conversation, she told me she debated about asking me or her sister to be her MOH.  But ultimately chose her sister because she and her sister lived in the same area, so the sister could throw her bach party and shower, whereas I lived a plane ride away.  While MOHs often do those things, they are not obligated to. 

I never said anything to her and she was still a good and close friend for years.  But, at the same time, wth?  She should have just asked me to be a BM.  I was already thrilled and honored with that.  But going into detail about the kinda selfish reason she chose her sister to be the MOH soured the moment, even if it (overall) didn't sour the friendship.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @KnotRiley This person is being hateful in addition to responding to zombie threads.
  • Options
    Damn someone woke up today and chose violence huh?
  • Options
    Have you asked him what's going on? Let him know you're worried about him and that you're there for him. Then ask him how he'd like to be involved in YOUR wedding; this will let him know he's valued and heard. See what happens and go from there?
  • Options
    Have you asked him what's going on? Let him know you're worried about him and that you're there for him. Then ask him how he'd like to be involved in YOUR wedding; this will let him know he's valued and heard. See what happens and go from there?

Welcome to The Knot.  When commenting on a post, please check the date of the original post, as well as the date of the last comment. As you can see, this post is a year old.  This is considered a zombie/dead thread. 
  • Options
    Hey! It's hard to write something, because I don't know that person, but are you sure that everything is okay with your friend? Maybe something happened, and maybe, it's a good idea just to talk? I mean, maybe something is going on, and you don't know