Attire & Accessories Forum

Satin Jersey OR Crepe?

I've found two dresses that I'm interested in. They're both super similar in style, the only difference is the material, with one being satin jersey and the other crepe.

Is anyone able to advise differences between the two? Stretch? Feel? How it falls or holds your body? Transparency? Line marks? Alter friendly material? 

Any advice would be appreciated :) 

Re: Satin Jersey OR Crepe?

• Jersey is a knitted fabric, so it's nice and stretchy and usually very soft. The stretchiness can allow it to fit tighter (may be a plus or minus in your book), but can also lead to having things show through: if your underwear makes a muffin top, a tight jersey dress will cling to everything and exacerbate the effect. Make sure you've got good, smooth foundation garments (not necessarily a girdle; you may just need a soft slip). Since it's a satin jersey, this is a shiny fabric. I love gloss (how often is it really appropriate to steal the show in a shiny dress? You're definitely the center of attention at your own wedding, so glitz is fine there), but you may think shiny clothes are only appropriate at raves and you'd rather your wedding was more sedate and formal.

Crepe is woven, so unless it's a spandex crepe, it won't have much stretch. If you have bulges from your underwear, crepe might hide them better than jersey. On the other hand, crepe can sometimes feel a bit stiff - but sometimes not! Because it's crisper, it can sometimes hold wrinkles more than jersey, but because the crepe surface isn't perfectly smooth, it may hide any wrinkles it picks up better than a jersey fabric that's otherwise flat and then suddenly has a crease at one point. The uneven surface also diffuses light, so it's usually not as shiny (but I have also seen satin crepe).

Both may be thick or thin, depending on the specific fabric; on average, I'd wager crepe to be thicker and jersey to be more transparent, but that's purely "on average" and the actual fabrics of the dresses may be anything but average! As far as formality goes, I'd usually say crepe is more formal than jersey, but nobody said weddings had to be white tie affairs and "less formal" may suit your wedding better (a breezy beach wedding shouldn't be stuffy).